Wierd power on behaviour

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by tempus fugit, Jan 14, 2007.

  1. tempus fugit

    tempus fugit Guest

    Hey all;

    I have my computer tower plugged into a switched power bar. Lately, as soon
    as I turn on the power bar, the computer turns on (without pressing the
    front panel button). It usually takes a few turn off/ons to get it to boot,
    and when it does the clock frequency is set wrong and I have to go to the
    BIOS to fix it. When it's on, there are some random (but not very frequent)
    lockups.

    Here's my setup:

    Antec 350w PS
    Asus A7N8X-X mobo
    768 megs PC3200
    Athlon 1333
    Sapphire 128 meg vid card
    Maxtor 40g and 160g HDs
    Echo MIA soundcard

    I think that's it.

    I hate replacing one component after another to try to fix the problem, so
    I'm hoping for some suggestions. I'm thinking maybe my PS is starting to go,
    but I'd like some other input if any one has any ideas.

    Thanks
    tempus fugit, Jan 14, 2007

  2. tempus fugit

    Baron Guest

    tempus fugit wrote:

    > Hey all;
    >
    > I have my computer tower plugged into a switched power bar. Lately,
    > as soon as I turn on the power bar, the computer turns on (without
    > pressing the front panel button). It usually takes a few turn
    > off/ons to get it to boot, and when it does the clock frequency is
    > set wrong and I have to go to the BIOS to fix it. When it's on,
    > there are some random (but not very frequent) lockups.
    >
    > Here's my setup:
    >
    > Antec 350w PS
    > Asus A7N8X-X mobo
    > 768 megs PC3200
    > Athlon 1333
    > Sapphire 128 meg vid card
    > Maxtor 40g and 160g HDs
    > Echo MIA soundcard
    >
    > I think that's it.
    >
    > I hate replacing one component after another to try to fix the
    > problem, so I'm hoping for some suggestions. I'm thinking maybe my
    > PS is starting to go, but I'd like some other input if any one has
    > any ideas.
    >
    > Thanks

    Try setting "Power state" in the BIOS to OFF rather than "Last State"

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Jan 14, 2007

  3. tempus fugit

    tempus fugit Guest

    "Baron" <> wrote in message
    > tempus fugit wrote:
    >
    > > Hey all;
    > >
    > > I have my computer tower plugged into a switched power bar. Lately,
    > > as soon as I turn on the power bar, the computer turns on (without
    > > pressing the front panel button). It usually takes a few turn
    > > off/ons to get it to boot, and when it does the clock frequency is
    > > set wrong and I have to go to the BIOS to fix it. When it's on,
    > > there are some random (but not very frequent) lockups.
    > >
    > > Here's my setup:
    > >
    > > Antec 350w PS
    > > Asus A7N8X-X mobo
    > > 768 megs PC3200
    > > Athlon 1333
    > > Sapphire 128 meg vid card
    > > Maxtor 40g and 160g HDs
    > > Echo MIA soundcard
    > >
    > > I think that's it.
    > >
    > > I hate replacing one component after another to try to fix the
    > > problem, so I'm hoping for some suggestions. I'm thinking maybe my
    > > PS is starting to go, but I'd like some other input if any one has
    > > any ideas.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > Try setting "Power state" in the BIOS to OFF rather than "Last State"

    Thanks for your reply. I checked the BIOS, but I don't have that setting
    there.
    tempus fugit, Jan 14, 2007
  4. tempus fugit

    babaloo Guest

    I suspect you power supply is surging when it first gets power and sends an
    erroneous ready signal to the motherboard. Then the power supply cannot
    sustain its output until whatever failing part of it stabilizes, hence the
    several start/stops until stable boot.
    babaloo, Jan 14, 2007
  5. tempus fugit

    JANA Guest

    Check the lithium battery on the mother board. I have had similar problems
    from this battery going weak.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jan 15, 2007
  6. tempus fugit

    tempus fugit Guest

    "JANA" <> wrote in message
    > Check the lithium battery on the mother board. I have had similar problems
    > from this battery going weak.
    >
    > --
    >
    > JANA
    > _____
    >

    > "tempus fugit" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all;
    >
    > I have my computer tower plugged into a switched power bar. Lately, as

    soon
    > as I turn on the power bar, the computer turns on (without pressing the
    > front panel button). It usually takes a few turn off/ons to get it to

    boot,
    > and when it does the clock frequency is set wrong and I have to go to the
    > BIOS to fix it. When it's on, there are some random (but not very

    frequent)
    > lockups.
    >
    > Here's my setup:
    >
    > Antec 350w PS
    > Asus A7N8X-X mobo
    > 768 megs PC3200
    > Athlon 1333
    > Sapphire 128 meg vid card
    > Maxtor 40g and 160g HDs
    > Echo MIA soundcard
    >
    > I think that's it.
    >
    > I hate replacing one component after another to try to fix the problem, so
    > I'm hoping for some suggestions. I'm thinking maybe my PS is starting to

    go,
    > but I'd like some other input if any one has any ideas.
    >
    > Thanks

    I just swapped out the power supply (for an older 300W model) and the
    problem went away. I'll have to pick up a new one or get this one replaced
    if it's still under warranty and hopefully that will fix the lockups and
    other things that are happening whenit finally gets powered up.

    Thanks
    tempus fugit, Jan 15, 2007