Wierd Norton downloads

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by john2, Feb 24, 2006.

  1. john2

    john2 Guest

    Starting on 22 Feb out of the blue my downlink bandwidth was getting a
    tad massive and checking with Netmeter I found I was getting an
    undesired 2.5 MByte download at exactly 5.0 minute intervals. This was
    associated with a system process called LUCOMS~1.exe that takes up 75%
    of the cpu when this happens. This was adding up to nearly a GByte per day.

    Also a window pops up from Norton saying '1140566294jtun_ennisale.2...
    (can't read the rest as it's truncated) is waiting for a virus scan,
    then it disappears (no virus found).

    Searching round it seems that Norton Internet security Live Updater is
    doing it since a personal process, also called LUCOMS~1.exe, runs if the
    updater is run manually. Having found this I switched off Live Updater
    and the automatic downloads stopped immediately. The Norton I.S. is
    2004 version and no longer supported, apart from updates.

    Anyone else seen this happen. Can Live Updater be switched into a bad
    mode by a remote command or bad update ?

    john2
    john2, Feb 24, 2006

  2. john2

    donnie Guest

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:55:43 +0000, john2 <> wrote:

    >Starting on 22 Feb out of the blue my downlink bandwidth was getting a
    >tad massive and checking with Netmeter I found I was getting an
    >undesired 2.5 MByte download at exactly 5.0 minute intervals. This was
    >associated with a system process called LUCOMS~1.exe that takes up 75%
    >of the cpu when this happens. This was adding up to nearly a GByte per day.
    >
    >Also a window pops up from Norton saying '1140566294jtun_ennisale.2...
    >(can't read the rest as it's truncated) is waiting for a virus scan,
    >then it disappears (no virus found).
    >
    >Searching round it seems that Norton Internet security Live Updater is
    >doing it since a personal process, also called LUCOMS~1.exe, runs if the
    >updater is run manually. Having found this I switched off Live Updater
    >and the automatic downloads stopped immediately. The Norton I.S. is
    >2004 version and no longer supported, apart from updates.
    >
    >Anyone else seen this happen. Can Live Updater be switched into a bad
    >mode by a remote command or bad update ?
    >

    >john2

    ####################################
    Apparently, you have discovered yet another problem that Norton
    creates for computer users. Add that to the long list that already
    exists and eventually you will decide, as I have, to uninstall all
    symantec products and have a more peacefull life.
    donnie, Feb 25, 2006

  3. john2

    john2 Guest

    >>Searching round it seems that Norton Internet security Live Updater is
    >>doing it since a personal process, also called LUCOMS~1.exe, runs if the
    >>updater is run manually. Having found this I switched off Live Updater
    >>and the automatic downloads stopped immediately. The Norton I.S. is
    >>2004 version and no longer supported, apart from updates.
    >>
    >>Anyone else seen this happen. Can Live Updater be switched into a bad
    >>mode by a remote command or bad update ?
    >>

    >>john2

    > ####################################
    > Apparently, you have discovered yet another problem that Norton
    > creates for computer users. Add that to the long list that already
    > exists and eventually you will decide, as I have, to uninstall all
    > symantec products and have a more peacefull life.

    I figured out the probable reason for repeatitive downloads is that one
    component of the firewall update is failing to install, which can be
    seen during a manual update. So Norton keeps on trying to update itself
    ad infinitum....
    Time to reinstall I guess.

    john2
    john2, Mar 4, 2006