    Any clues on this one?

    TIA

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, May 3, 2007

  2. Jimmy Dean

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Re: Wierd copying problem: Can't copy 5GB file to HD with 45GB free"Not enough space on the disk"

    Jimmy Dean wrote:
    > The target HD is 120GB IDE (PATA) mounted in a USB2 enclosure. CHKDSK
    > /f on it shows no problems.
    >
    > Similarly CHKDSK /f on the drive containing the 5GB source file shows
    > no problems.
    >
    > Any clues on this one?

    Is the target drive formatted FAT32?

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 3, 2007

  3. Jimmy Dean

    old man Guest

    NTFS or FAT?
    maybe the latter?

    old man, May 3, 2007
  4. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Thu, 03 May 2007 18:59:51 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    <> wrote:

    >Jimmy Dean wrote:
    >> The target HD is 120GB IDE (PATA) mounted in a USB2 enclosure. CHKDSK
    >> /f on it shows no problems.
    >>
    >> Similarly CHKDSK /f on the drive containing the 5GB source file shows
    >> no problems.
    >>
    >> Any clues on this one?
    >>

    >Is the target drive formatted FAT32?

    Yup that was the prob - 4GB filesize limit. Had to be formatted as
    NTFS.

    Another mystery if you feel like: Size on disk is always bigger than
    actual size of files due to cluster wasteage, isn't this so?

    I have a situation where size of files is about 2.7GB but size on disk
    is 2.4GB. WTF...??? New 250GB SATAII HD with no bad sectors and "minor
    inconsistencies" (fixed) only.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, May 4, 2007
  5. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 May 2007 18:59:51 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jimmy Dean wrote:
    >>> The target HD is 120GB IDE (PATA) mounted in a USB2 enclosure. CHKDSK
    >>> /f on it shows no problems.
    >>>
    >>> Similarly CHKDSK /f on the drive containing the 5GB source file shows
    >>> no problems.
    >>>
    >>> Any clues on this one?
    >>>

    >> Is the target drive formatted FAT32?

    > Yup that was the prob - 4GB filesize limit. Had to be formatted as
    > NTFS.
    >
    > Another mystery if you feel like: Size on disk is always bigger than
    > actual size of files due to cluster wasteage, isn't this so?
    >
    > I have a situation where size of files is about 2.7GB but size on disk
    > is 2.4GB. WTF...??? New 250GB SATAII HD with no bad sectors and "minor
    > inconsistencies" (fixed) only.

    Interesting question. The first thing that comes to mind is that
    perhaps the sizes are being reported in different ways, as in a Gig as
    1000 meg against a Gig as 1024 Meg.

    The other way is that perhaps compression is enabled in some of the
    folders/files on the disk. On my main drive for example, the /Windows
    folder's size is shown as 2.28 GB, with size on disk as 2.06 GB. On
    examining the contents of the folder there is a large number of
    sub-folders which XP has compressed.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 4, 2007
  6. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Fri, 04 May 2007 17:02:17 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    <> wrote:
    >Interesting question. The first thing that comes to mind is that
    >perhaps the sizes are being reported in different ways, as in a Gig as
    >1000 meg against a Gig as 1024 Meg.

    Can't buy that as I have never seen this on any other PC.

    >The other way is that perhaps compression is enabled in some of the
    >folders/files on the disk. On my main drive for example, the /Windows
    >folder's size is shown as 2.28 GB, with size on disk as 2.06 GB. On
    >examining the contents of the folder there is a large number of
    >sub-folders which XP has compressed.

    The size difference is exactly the sort of thing I am seeing. I'll
    check it out (PC no longer here)

    thanks

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, May 5, 2007