Widescreen TFT Monitors?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I just had a quick couple of questions for anyone who has knowledge of
    TFT Monitors.

    I am looking for a 17 to 19" TFT Monitor but I would like something
    that is Widescreen 16:9. Other features I'm looking for include no
    more than a 16ms response time and DVI Input.

    Are there currently many monitors out there that match these specs
    that are not too expen$ive?

    And what about LCD TV's that have input's for connecting computers?
    Are these any good or would you recommend sticking with pure monitors
    designed for PCs instead of the LCD TVs? It would be handy if you
    could also use it as a TV but if it's not good enough for a computer
    as a pure TFT monitor then I guess I should give it a miss.

    Thanks for your help

    John
    John, Feb 17, 2004

  2. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    John <> wrote in news:ns2430ph2sjpa1ll1e36nn2ru6jm3a37b9@
    4ax.com:

    > Are there currently many monitors out there that match these specs
    > that are not too expen$ive?

    Define not too expensive? For a 19" LCD with 16 ms response time and DVI
    you are looking at like $800 to $1200. If you are less strict, you can get
    something like an Advueu 18" LCD for under $500. Response time is rated at
    30ms, and it doesn't do DVI, but it's a nice bright picture and DVDs look
    great on it. So far I've played every game from Unreal Tournament, UT2k3,
    Ut2k4 MP Demo, FFXI, and Quake 3, and I've seen absolutely no blurryness
    from a too slow response time. Nice little monitor for $400.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Feb 17, 2004

  3. John

    John Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:20:12 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >John <> wrote in news:ns2430ph2sjpa1ll1e36nn2ru6jm3a37b9@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> Are there currently many monitors out there that match these specs
    >> that are not too expen$ive?
    >>

    >Define not too expensive?

    Hi. I was looking at getting an LCD TV anyway for upstairs but as I
    need a new monitor I was looking to kill two birds with one stone.

    As far as LCD TV's go I was looking at about 22" for upto £1200 in
    price. I've not really been able to see much in the way of monitors.
    It's been difficult for me to find any monitors that are Widescreen.
    I did see a 17" Dell one, but the response was 25ms, and the screen
    size is a tiny bit too small anyway. That one was around £550 I
    think.

    >For a 19" LCD with 16 ms response time and DVI
    >you are looking at like $800 to $1200. If you are less strict, you can get
    >something like an Advueu 18" LCD for under $500. Response time is rated at
    >30ms, and it doesn't do DVI, but it's a nice bright picture and DVDs look
    >great on it. So far I've played every game from Unreal Tournament, UT2k3,
    >Ut2k4 MP Demo, FFXI, and Quake 3, and I've seen absolutely no blurryness
    >from a too slow response time. Nice little monitor for $400.

    You don't have any problems playing games at 30ms?

    John
    John, Feb 18, 2004
  4. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    John <> wrote in news:f20730tk6gu0olh8bqk81b7hfttri1g5c0@
    4ax.com:

    > You don't have any problems playing games at 30ms?

    No. Keep in mind 30ms only counts from complete black to complete white.
    It doesn't count how long it takes to go from green to red, grey to blue,
    or yellow to pink. Those response times are typically much higher than the
    manufacturer advertises. The important thing is to look at the screen you
    are interested in, so you can see in person how it looks and feels.

    Some people may find 30ms too slow for gaming. I personally saw too little
    a difference between 30ms and 15ms to warrant an extra $500.

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 18, 2004