    my TV?

    Any help is appreciated.

    LECV

    Limited Edition Clear Vinyl, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Limited Edition Clear Vinyl

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Limited Edition Clear Vinyl" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > OK, this is slightly OT, but someone here will probably be able to
    > help. I own a widescreen TV, but when I watch a show broadcast in
    > widescreen, like The Sopranos, it's basically like watching a
    > non-anamorphic DVD. I either have to stretch the picture or zoom in to
    > get everything looking normal, losing information at the sides.
    >
    > Is this normal? Are the black bars transmitted as part of the picture
    > information? Or is there just something I haven't set correctly with
    > my TV?
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > LECV

    The black bars are normal on widescreen shows transmitted in 4:3 NTSC, which
    is most off air stuff in North America. So yeah, you'll have to zoom. My
    widescreen TV has a setting that appropriately sets the picture without any
    loss of information in cases like this.

    Jay

    Jay Stewart, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Limited Edition Clear Vinyl

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Limited Edition Clear Vinyl" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > OK, this is slightly OT, but someone here will probably be able to
    > help. I own a widescreen TV, but when I watch a show broadcast in
    > widescreen, like The Sopranos, it's basically like watching a
    > non-anamorphic DVD. I either have to stretch the picture or zoom in to
    > get everything looking normal, losing information at the sides.

    They're not really broadcast "in widescreen." They're broadcast in 4:3
    letterbox; the black bars are part of the 4:3 frame.

    This will be the case with any analog broadcast. You'll have to use the TV's
    zoom feature to move the black bars out of the visible screen.

    To see these shows in true widescreen, you need a digital source -- digital
    cable or satellite or OTA broadcasts, via a digital tuner.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Limited Edition Clear Vinyl

    Tony soprano Guest

    "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message

    > "Limited Edition Clear Vinyl" <> wrote

    in
    > message news:...
    > > OK, this is slightly OT, but someone here will probably be able to
    > > help. I own a widescreen TV, but when I watch a show broadcast in
    > > widescreen, like The Sopranos, it's basically like watching a
    > > non-anamorphic DVD. I either have to stretch the picture or zoom in to
    > > get everything looking normal, losing information at the sides.

    > They're not really broadcast "in widescreen." They're broadcast in 4:3
    > letterbox; the black bars are part of the 4:3 frame.

    They are broadcast in widescreen on the HD channel

    > This will be the case with any analog broadcast. You'll have to use the

    TV's
    > zoom feature to move the black bars out of the visible screen.
    >
    > To see these shows in true widescreen, you need a digital source --

    digital
    > cable or satellite or OTA broadcasts, via a digital tuner.
    >
    > RichC

    I watch The Sopranos on the HD HBO channel and I don't see no stinkin bars!

    They are there on the regular broadcast though.

    T.

    --
    "Logout, that cookie shit makes me nervous!" - Tony Soprano

    Tony soprano, Apr 1, 2004
  5. Limited Edition Clear Vinyl

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Limited Edition Clear Vinyl, says...
    > Is this normal? Are the black bars transmitted as part of the picture
    > information?

    Yes, when you are watching the regular NTSC analog transmission. To see
    widescreen shows in real, high quality, without the bars, you need to
    watch the digital transmission. To do this you will need an HDTV
    receiver, and a station in your area broadcasting HD, or HD cable or
    satellite service.

    CBS, NBC, ABC, HBO, SHOWTIME, and several other networks are
    broadcasting their widscreen shows in HD on their digital channels. FOX
    doesn't broadcast in HD yet, but some of their shows (24, for example)
    are broadcast in standard definition definition widescreen without the
    bars. Those programs will be MUCH higher quality than the analog
    letterboxed versions of their shows, but you still need an HDTV receiver
    to watch those.

    I have a DirectTV receiver that picks up both standard def and HD
    DirectTV programming, and also acts as an over-the-air tuner for local
    HD broadcasts. It's great.

    Mark Spatny, Apr 1, 2004
  6. Limited Edition Clear Vinyl

    Richard C. Guest

    Is your WS set an HD?

    Get HBO HD.

    =============================
    :

    Richard C., Apr 2, 2004
  7. Thanks for the responses, everyone. Yes, my set is HD. The problem is
    that I don't watch nearly enough television to justify the cost of a
    high def receiver for my satellite service, plus the HD channel
    subscription costs. Sopranos and the odd Seinfeld and Simpsons rerun.

    Thanks again.

    LECV

    Limited Edition Clear Vinyl, Apr 3, 2004
  8. Limited Edition Clear Vinyl wrote:

    > Thanks for the responses, everyone. Yes, my set is HD. The problem is
    > that I don't watch nearly enough television to justify the cost of a
    > high def receiver for my satellite service, plus the HD channel
    > subscription costs. Sopranos and the odd Seinfeld and Simpsons rerun.

    All you need is an antenna from Radio Shack and
    a length of coax cable.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Apr 3, 2004
  9. Limited Edition Clear Vinyl

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Darrel Christenson, says...
    > All you need is an antenna from Radio Shack and
    > a length of coax cable.

    And an HD receiver box, if the TV doesn't have one built in.

    I get CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, and the WB in High Definition off the air, no
    special subscription required. And I get FOX in widescreen. Plus,
    several other local stations are multicasting different SD programming
    on various subchannels. It's worth the few hundred for the tuner, if you
    have stations broadcasting digital in your area.

    Mark Spatny, Apr 3, 2004
  10. Limited Edition Clear Vinyl

    Steve K. Guest

    Limited Edition Clear Vinyl wrote:
    > Thanks for the responses, everyone. Yes, my set is HD. The problem is
    > that I don't watch nearly enough television to justify the cost of a
    > high def receiver for my satellite service, plus the HD channel
    > subscription costs. Sopranos and the odd Seinfeld and Simpsons rerun.

    If you get the Sopranos DVD set, it will fill your widescreen.

    Steve K., Apr 3, 2004
  11. Limited Edition Clear Vinyl

    Ronald Cole Guest

    (Limited Edition Clear Vinyl) writes:
    > OK, this is slightly OT, but someone here will probably be able to
    > help. I own a widescreen TV, but when I watch a show broadcast in
    > widescreen, like The Sopranos, it's basically like watching a
    > non-anamorphic DVD. I either have to stretch the picture or zoom in to
    > get everything looking normal, losing information at the sides.
    >
    > Is this normal? Are the black bars transmitted as part of the picture
    > information? Or is there just something I haven't set correctly with
    > my TV?
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

    If it's an HDTV, then you need to be watching HBO HD. Otherwise, I
    think it's P&S. If you're seeing black bars, then it sounds like
    you're watching HBO HD via the SD output of your HDTV receiver.

    Ronald Cole <> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

    Ronald Cole, Apr 4, 2004