    preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    Mark
    MarkR, Jan 15, 2004

  2. MarkR

    FMercury39 Guest

    Try this site for starters.
    http://www.widescreenadvocate.org/whatis.html

    FMercury39, Jan 15, 2004

  3. MarkR

    Karl Guest

    "MarkR" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I

    have
    > been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now

    have
    > a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
    > preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Mark

    Widescreen "IS" full frame.
    Karl, Jan 15, 2004
  4. MarkR

    MarkR Guest

    "FMercury39" <> wrote in message
    > Try this site for starters.
    > http://www.widescreenadvocate.org/whatis.html

    Widescreen it is then. :)

    Mark

    MarkR, Jan 15, 2004
  5. MarkR

    MarkR Guest

    "Karl" <> wrote in message

    > "MarkR" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I

    > have
    > > been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now

    > have
    > > a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
    > > preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Mark
    > >

    > Widescreen "IS" full frame.

    OK, then I mispoke and meant to say Full Screen. Full Screen doesn't equal
    Widescreen does it?

    Mark
    MarkR, Jan 15, 2004
  6. MarkR

    mzmeryze Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:38:08 GMT, "MarkR" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    > I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I have
    >been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now have
    >a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
    >preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.

    If you want to see 100% of the movie, go with widescreen.

    If you want to see a hacked up version of the film, go with
    fullscreen.

    Your choice.
    mzmeryze, Jan 15, 2004
  7. MarkR

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Widescreen is the only way to go.

    Full screen or 'pan&scan', aka 'modified to fit this screen' chops off 2/3
    of the picture.

    Pug Fugley, Jan 15, 2004
  8. MarkR

    Video Flyer Guest

    On 1/15/04 4:17 PM, in article
    HjENb.11843$, "Pug Fugley"
    <> wrote:

    > Widescreen is the only way to go.
    >
    > Full screen or 'pan&scan', aka 'modified to fit this screen' chops off 2/3
    > of the picture.

    :p

    It seems the longer this debate rages, the more of the original frame gets
    cut off. We're up to 66% now! Whoah.

    Neal
    Video Flyer, Jan 15, 2004
  9. MarkR

    Jay G Guest

    Video Flyer <> wrote:
    > "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:
    >> Full screen or 'pan&scan', aka 'modified to fit this screen' chops
    >> off 2/3 of the picture.

    > It seems the longer this debate rages, the more of the original frame
    > gets cut off. We're up to 66% now! Whoah.

    That's on those ultra-wide 4:1 scope films. ;)

    Seriously though, for a 2.35:1 film, FS cuts off over 1/3
    of the image.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Jan 16, 2004
  10. MarkR

    Jay G Guest

    Jay G, Jan 16, 2004
  11. MarkR

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "Jay G" <> wrote in message
    > Video Flyer <> wrote:
    > > "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:
    > >> Full screen or 'pan&scan', aka 'modified to fit this screen' chops
    > >> off 2/3 of the picture.

    > > It seems the longer this debate rages, the more of the original frame
    > > gets cut off. We're up to 66% now! Whoah.

    > That's on those ultra-wide 4:1 scope films. ;)
    >
    > Seriously though, for a 2.35:1 film, FS cuts off over 1/3
    > of the image.

    Yeah I meant 1/3, a simple typo.
    Pug Fugley, Jan 16, 2004
  12. MarkR

    Jim Fraas Guest

    "MarkR" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I

    have
    > been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now

    have
    > a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
    > preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Mark

    A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
    the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's
    original intent.

    End of story!

    WIDESCREEN!
    Jim Fraas, Jan 16, 2004
  13. MarkR

    unclejr Guest

    "Pug Fugley" <> wrote...
    > Widescreen is the only way to go.

    For the most part, I whole-heartedly agree with you here (somewhat of
    a rarity these days). However, I just did a frame-by-frame comparison
    of the WS LD vs. the FF DVD of Clean and Sober. It turns out that
    there is *MORE* picture to see in the DVD, because it is open matte
    and not P&S.

    > Full screen or 'pan&scan', aka 'modified to fit this screen' chops off 2/3
    > of the picture.

    FF DVDs have to be directly compared to their WS counterparts in order
    to make sure that the transfer is truly P&S (and the resulting loss of
    picture). Even though it is not how the director envisioned the film
    to be viewed, I do not mind open matte transfers that much; they only
    become troublesome when the occasional boom mike sneaks into the
    picture.

    Just my $0.02 worth.

    -Junior
    unclejr, Jan 16, 2004
  14. Of course, there is also the issue of movies made before 1953 or so,
    which will not have a widescreen version because they were filmed in the
    4:3 aspect ratio. Examples - Gone with the Wind, Wizard of Oz, Singin'
    In The Rain, early Hitchcock films.

    Edward
    Edward Curtis, Jan 16, 2004
  15. MarkR

    Dogger Guest

    "MarkR" <> wrote in message news:<atDNb.82169$>...
    > "Karl" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "MarkR" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I

    > have
    > > > been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now

    > have
    > > > a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
    > > > preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Mark
    > > >

    > > Widescreen "IS" full frame.
    > >

    > OK, then I mispoke and meant to say Full Screen. Full Screen doesn't equal
    > Widescreen does it?

    No, full screen is generally for people who react to black bars by
    saying 'What happened to the rest of the picture?' It means they want
    their TV to be filled up even if that means missing out on anywhere
    from 30% to 55% of what you would see in the movie theatre. Either
    they don't realise that the wide rectangle is what shows them MORE of
    the original picture, or more commonly they just don't care.

    It is true that if your intent is to see something as close as
    possible to what the filmmaker intended, then you should *usually*
    stick exclusively to 'widescreen', because that is how over 99% of
    movies are shot (1.85:1 or higher). But beware of the 1% ... there is
    the odd movie (especially very low budget 16mm fare) which is shot and
    projected in the more square TV-like ratio (1.33:1), so in those cases
    'full screen' *is* the originally intent.

    Plus, there are television episode releases which are often (but not
    always) shot in full screen anyway, so there is no need to insist on
    widescreen there.

    Generally, you should gravitate toward any product that claims to
    present the 'original aspect ratio' intended by the author, and stay
    away from any product that admits to being 'modified to fit your
    screen'. Because that's the real issue here.

    DB.
    Dogger, Jan 16, 2004
  16. MarkR

    MarkR Guest

    "Karl" <> wrote in message

    > "MarkR" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I

    > have
    > > been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now

    > have
    > > a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
    > > preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Mark
    > >

    > Widescreen "IS" full frame.

    So Widescreen has an aspect ratio of 1.33:1?

    Mark
    MarkR, Jan 16, 2004
  17. > > I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame
    >> > DVD's? I

    >> have
    >> > been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I
    >> > now

    >> have
    >> > a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost
    >> > always preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in
    >> > advance.
    >> >
    >> > Regards,
    >> > Mark
    >> >

    >> Widescreen "IS" full frame.
    >>

    > So Widescreen has an aspect ratio of 1.33:1?

    No. That was a very simplistic response to a very complex question.

    Widescreen actually has no given aspect ratio... it's just a term that
    means the movie is wider than 1.33:1. There are many widescreen ratios,
    and the most common are 1.85:1 and 2.35:1.

    "Full Frame" is a term that can mean a lot of things, depending on the
    intent. It may mean a movie which has an OAR of 1.33:1, or a movie that
    was shot for widescreen using an open matte technique, and therefore
    could be made 4:3 by removing the mattes. It may even be the above
    poster's intent to say that WS is full frame because it shows the full,
    intended, frame.

    What we see here is a problem with terminology... something I consider
    to be a huge issue on the aspect ratio debate.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Jan 16, 2004
  18. MarkR

    MarkR Guest

    "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in message
    > > > I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame
    > >> have
    > >> have

    > >> Widescreen "IS" full frame.
    > >>

    > > So Widescreen has an aspect ratio of 1.33:1?

    > No. That was a very simplistic response to a very complex question.
    >
    > Widescreen actually has no given aspect ratio... it's just a term that
    > means the movie is wider than 1.33:1. There are many widescreen ratios,
    > and the most common are 1.85:1 and 2.35:1.
    >
    > "Full Frame" is a term that can mean a lot of things, depending on the
    > intent. It may mean a movie which has an OAR of 1.33:1, or a movie that
    > was shot for widescreen using an open matte technique, and therefore
    > could be made 4:3 by removing the mattes. It may even be the above
    > poster's intent to say that WS is full frame because it shows the full,
    > intended, frame.
    >
    > What we see here is a problem with terminology... something I consider
    > to be a huge issue on the aspect ratio debate.

    Well I was told that Full Frame "IS" Widescreen. I have a few DVD's that
    have a ratio of 1.33:1 that say they are Full Frame or Full Screen, so I was
    just clarifying.

    Mark

    MarkR, Jan 16, 2004
  19. MarkR

    Karl Guest

    > Well I was told that Full Frame "IS" Widescreen. I have a few DVD's that
    > have a ratio of 1.33:1 that say they are Full Frame or Full Screen, so I

    was
    > just clarifying.
    >
    > Mark

    Sorry for the confusion, Ill put it another way, generaly widescreen DVD =
    fullframe, in other words your getting all the film and the sides of it are
    not getting chopped off to fit a fullscreen TV (old style TV and not
    widescreen). So probably those DVD's you have stating full frame/screen have
    been chopped so it displays fullscreen on an 4/3 TV.

    Karl
    Karl, Jan 16, 2004
  20. MarkR

    Shawn Guest

    Jim Fraas wrote:

    > A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
    > the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's
    > original intent.

    ....except for the few movies which were actually shot in full-screen.
    Shawn, Jan 16, 2004