Widescreen Monitor/Video Card Help Needed

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Basil.Fawlty, Jul 22, 2007.

  1. Basil.Fawlty

    Basil.Fawlty Guest

    Hi All,

    Some advice would be appricated, if you would be so kind,

    I've been considering replacing my 5 year old Philips CRT 17" monitor with a
    wide screen flat LCD. This one in particular has caught my eye.

    http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=FP00014

    What do I need in terms of a video card? The monitor above runs at a resolution
    of 1440x900 whilst my current video card will only go to 1280x1024.

    So, am I correct in assuming I need a new video card?

    And if so, would any one care to make any recomendations?

    Gaming is not an interest of mine, so the newest, fastest card is not needed,
    just something that will run a 19/20' widescreen monitor adequately.

    Thanks
    Basil.Fawlty, Jul 22, 2007

  2. Basil.Fawlty

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "Basil.Fawlty" <> wrote in message

    > I've been considering replacing my 5 year old Philips CRT 17" monitor with
    > wide screen flat LCD. This one in particular has caught my eye.
    >
    > http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=FP00014
    >
    > What do I need in terms of a video card? The monitor above runs at a
    > resolution
    > of 1440x900 whilst my current video card will only go to 1280x1024.
    >
    > So, am I correct in assuming I need a new video card?

    What is your current video card?

    It may well support the 1440x900 resolution with existing or updated
    drivers. Often you will find with Plug and Play monitors that you are only
    offered display resolutions that your monitor supports, and 1280x1024 is
    usually the limit on most 17" CRT's.
    Mickey Mouse, Jul 22, 2007

  3. Basil.Fawlty

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Some advice would be appricated, if you would be so kind,
    >
    > I've been considering replacing my 5 year old Philips CRT 17" monitor with
    > wide screen flat LCD. This one in particular has caught my eye.
    >
    > http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=FP00014
    >
    > What do I need in terms of a video card? The monitor above runs at a
    > resolution
    > of 1440x900 whilst my current video card will only go to 1280x1024.
    >
    > So, am I correct in assuming I need a new video card?
    >
    > And if so, would any one care to make any recomendations?
    >
    > Gaming is not an interest of mine, so the newest, fastest card is not
    > needed,
    > just something that will run a 19/20' widescreen monitor adequately.
    >
    > Thanks

    Your card should work fine. The highest possible resolution isn't
    everything on the size of the LCD monitor. After you get the monitor you
    can then decide if you want to change your video card.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jul 22, 2007
  4. Basil.Fawlty

    Basil.Fawlty Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:20:32 +1200, "Mickey Mouse" <> wrote:
    Snip

    >What is your current video card?

    S3 Graphics Pro Savage DDR

    Basil.Fawlty, Jul 22, 2007
  5. Basil.Fawlty

    big cat Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:43:20 +1200, Basil.Fawlty
    <> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >Some advice would be appricated, if you would be so kind,
    >
    >I've been considering replacing my 5 year old Philips CRT 17" monitor with a
    >wide screen flat LCD. This one in particular has caught my eye.
    >
    >http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=FP00014
    >
    >What do I need in terms of a video card? The monitor above runs at a resolution
    >of 1440x900 whilst my current video card will only go to 1280x1024.
    >
    >So, am I correct in assuming I need a new video card?
    >
    >And if so, would any one care to make any recomendations?
    >
    >Gaming is not an interest of mine, so the newest, fastest card is not needed,
    >just something that will run a 19/20' widescreen monitor adequately.
    >
    >Thanks

    A very low end Monitor only has 262k Colours, and limited to 900px vertical,
    keep far far away..

    Go for a monitor with better vertical resolution and with 16.7 mil colours,
    NOT 16.2..
    big cat, Jul 22, 2007
  6. Basil.Fawlty

    big cat Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 05:53:02 +1200, Basil.Fawlty
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:20:32 +1200, "Mickey Mouse" <> wrote:
    >Snip
    >>
    >>What is your current video card?
    >>

    >S3 Graphics Pro Savage DDR

    From resent investigation of mine for another user, This is a integrated chip
    with only 32 megs of shared memory, very low end.

    big cat, Jul 22, 2007
  7. Basil.Fawlty

    Greg House Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 05:53:02 +1200, Basil.Fawlty <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:20:32 +1200, "Mickey Mouse" <> wrote:
    >Snip
    >>
    >>What is your current video card?
    >>

    >S3 Graphics Pro Savage DDR

    From my resent research on this its a Integrated graphics chip with 32megs of shared memory, not
    to good at all.

    Greg House, Jul 23, 2007
  8. Basil.Fawlty

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Greg House < wrote:

    >From my resent research on this its a Integrated graphics chip with 32megs of shared memory, not
    >to good at all.

    In article <>,
    big cat <> wrote:

    >From resent investigation of mine for another user, This is a integrated chip
    >with only 32 megs of shared memory, very low end.

    Well, it's good to see you agree with youself. When you start arguing
    with yourself we'll know you've really gone senile.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Jul 23, 2007
  9. Basil.Fawlty

    Basil.Fawlty Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:44:11 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
    wrote:

    Snip

    >Your card should work fine. The highest possible resolution isn't
    >everything on the size of the LCD monitor. After you get the monitor you
    >can then decide if you want to change your video card.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    Thanks, I think I'll give it a go.
    Basil.Fawlty, Jul 23, 2007
  10. Basil.Fawlty

    Jerry Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Greg House < wrote:
    >>From my resent research on this its a Integrated graphics chip with 32megs of shared memory, not
    >> to good at all.

    > In article <>,
    > big cat <> wrote:
    >>From resent investigation of mine for another user, This is a integrated chip
    >> with only 32 megs of shared memory, very low end.

    > Well, it's good to see you agree with youself. When you start arguing
    > with yourself we'll know you've really gone senile.

    When you argue with yourself it's OK, it's when you start saying "huh"
    to yourself that you are in trouble
    Jerry, Jul 23, 2007
  11. Basil.Fawlty

    Jerry Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > Don Hills wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Greg House < wrote:
    >>> From my resent research on this its a Integrated graphics chip with
    >>> 32megs of shared memory, not
    >>> to good at all.

    >> In article <>,
    >> big cat <> wrote:
    >>> From resent investigation of mine for another user, This is a
    >>> integrated chip
    >>> with only 32 megs of shared memory, very low end.

    >> Well, it's good to see you agree with youself. When you start arguing
    >> with yourself we'll know you've really gone senile.
    >>

    > When you argue with yourself it's OK, it's when you start saying "huh"
    > to yourself that you are in trouble

    Huh?
    Jerry, Jul 23, 2007
  12. Basil.Fawlty

    Greg House Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 18:31:42 +1200, Basil.Fawlty <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:44:11 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
    >wrote:
    >
    >Snip
    >>
    >>Your card should work fine. The highest possible resolution isn't
    >>everything on the size of the LCD monitor. After you get the monitor you
    >>can then decide if you want to change your video card.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge
    >>

    >Thanks, I think I'll give it a go.

    It will not as its a on board graphics chip with Only 32megs of shared ram..
    Greg House, Jul 23, 2007
  13. Basil.Fawlty

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 18:31:42 +1200, Basil.Fawlty
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:44:11 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    >>(*sling)>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>Snip
    >>>
    >>>Your card should work fine. The highest possible resolution isn't
    >>>everything on the size of the LCD monitor. After you get the monitor you
    >>>can then decide if you want to change your video card.
    >>>
    >>>E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >>Thanks, I think I'll give it a go.

    > It will not as its a on board graphics chip with Only 32megs of shared
    > ram..

    No reason why it won't show 1024 x something (being widescreen).

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jul 23, 2007
  14. Basil.Fawlty

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 18:31:42 +1200, Basil.Fawlty
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:44:11 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    >>(*sling)>
    >>wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Your card should work fine. The highest possible resolution isn't
    >>>everything on the size of the LCD monitor. After you get the monitor you
    >>>can then decide if you want to change your video card.
    >>>

    >>Thanks, I think I'll give it a go.

    > It will not as its a on board graphics chip with Only 32megs of shared
    > ram..

    Running the video card output to match the native resolution of the LCD is
    recommended, but it is not absolutely necessary. The onboard graphics should
    suffice in the interim, although running at a different resolution may not
    provide the sharpest image quality.

    According to the Packard Bell website, the chipset offers;

    a.. Flat panel monitor support
    a.. 2D/3D resolutions up to 1920x1440

    At that resolution, it is likely to be less than 32bit colour, so you would
    probably end up using something more modest. One particular website
    indicates that the widescreen 1440x900 mode is not supported, however they
    ended up using 1152x864 (3x2). Most recent drivers would appear to be 2005
    on the S3 site:

    http://www.s3graphics.com/en/resources/drivers/legacy/software_archive.jsp#id_420drv
    Mickey Mouse, Jul 23, 2007
  15. Basil.Fawlty

    Richard Guest

    Greg House wrote:
    >> Thanks, I think I'll give it a go.

    > It will not as its a on board graphics chip with Only 32megs of shared ram..

    More then enough to do the OP's required resolution
    Richard, Jul 23, 2007
  16. Basil.Fawlty

    Richard Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:

    > Running the video card output to match the native resolution of the LCD
    > is recommended, but it is not absolutely necessary. The onboard graphics
    > should suffice in the interim, although running at a different
    > resolution may not provide the sharpest image quality.
    >
    > According to the Packard Bell website, the chipset offers;
    >
    > a.. Flat panel monitor support
    > a.. 2D/3D resolutions up to 1920x1440
    >
    > At that resolution, it is likely to be less than 32bit colour, so you
    > would probably end up using something more modest. One particular
    > website indicates that the widescreen 1440x900 mode is not supported,
    > however they ended up using 1152x864 (3x2). Most recent drivers would
    > appear to be 2005 on the S3 site:
    >
    > http://www.s3graphics.com/en/resources/drivers/legacy/software_archive.jsp#id_420drv

    If the res isnt there, then powerstrip should be able to create it.
    Richard, Jul 23, 2007
  17. Basil.Fawlty

    impossible Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Mickey Mouse wrote:
    >
    >> Running the video card output to match the native resolution of the LCD
    >> is recommended, but it is not absolutely necessary. The onboard graphics
    >> should suffice in the interim, although running at a different resolution
    >> may not provide the sharpest image quality.
    >>
    >> According to the Packard Bell website, the chipset offers;
    >>
    >> a.. Flat panel monitor support
    >> a.. 2D/3D resolutions up to 1920x1440
    >>
    >> At that resolution, it is likely to be less than 32bit colour, so you
    >> would probably end up using something more modest. One particular website
    >> indicates that the widescreen 1440x900 mode is not supported, however
    >> they ended up using 1152x864 (3x2). Most recent drivers would appear to
    >> be 2005 on the S3 site:
    >>
    >> http://www.s3graphics.com/en/resources/drivers/legacy/software_archive.jsp#id_420drv

    > If the res isnt there, then powerstrip should be able to create it.

    There really isn't much point in "upgrading" to a widescreen lcd without
    having a graphics card that fully supports the screen's native resolution at
    full-color output -- guaranteed to disappoint. Since the OP indicated no
    particular need for gaming-level performance, it should be easy to find an
    inexpensive card that supports this spec out-of-the-box.
    impossible, Jul 23, 2007
  18. Basil.Fawlty

    Greg House Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:10:47 -0400, "impossible" <> wrote:

    >"Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Mickey Mouse wrote:
    >>
    >>> Running the video card output to match the native resolution of the LCD
    >>> is recommended, but it is not absolutely necessary. The onboard graphics
    >>> should suffice in the interim, although running at a different resolution
    >>> may not provide the sharpest image quality.
    >>>
    >>> According to the Packard Bell website, the chipset offers;
    >>>
    >>> a.. Flat panel monitor support
    >>> a.. 2D/3D resolutions up to 1920x1440
    >>>
    >>> At that resolution, it is likely to be less than 32bit colour, so you
    >>> would probably end up using something more modest. One particular website
    >>> indicates that the widescreen 1440x900 mode is not supported, however
    >>> they ended up using 1152x864 (3x2). Most recent drivers would appear to
    >>> be 2005 on the S3 site:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.s3graphics.com/en/resources/drivers/legacy/software_archive.jsp#id_420drv

    >> If the res isnt there, then powerstrip should be able to create it.

    >There really isn't much point in "upgrading" to a widescreen lcd without
    >having a graphics card that fully supports the screen's native resolution at
    >full-color output -- guaranteed to disappoint. Since the OP indicated no
    >particular need for gaming-level performance, it should be easy to find an
    >inexpensive card that supports this spec out-of-the-box.

    Can be very hard if the Mobo has no AGP slot, and only has a VGA video out, sorry go get a better
    computer..
    Greg House, Jul 23, 2007
  19. Basil.Fawlty

    Basil.Fawlty Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:53:00 +1200, Greg House
    < wrote:

    Snip

    >Can be very hard if the Mobo has no AGP slot, and only has a VGA video out, sorry go get a better
    >computer..

    Motherboard has an AGP slot.

    Anyone care to recommend a video card that will run 1440 x 900 widescreen?

    I've tried looking, but haven't got the faintest idea where to start.

    Cheers
    Basil.Fawlty, Jul 24, 2007
  20. Basil.Fawlty wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:53:00 +1200, Greg House
    > < wrote:
    >
    > Snip
    >> Can be very hard if the Mobo has no AGP slot, and only has a VGA video out, sorry go get a better
    >> computer..
    >>

    > Motherboard has an AGP slot.
    >
    > Anyone care to recommend a video card that will run 1440 x 900 widescreen?
    >
    > I've tried looking, but haven't got the faintest idea where to start.

    Try www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_4508.html for a cheapie or
    www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_4506.html or

    or if you don't like ATI try

    www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_7278.html or
    www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_9606.html
    for a geforce

    most if not all of these cards will do 1440 x 900

    (he says on a GeForce4 MX 440 running at 1440x900)

    Regards.
    Richard Savage, Jul 24, 2007