    widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
    Just a thought.

    Joe.

    Joe, Nov 17, 2006

  2. Joe

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:13:08 +0000, Joe Has Frothed:

    > I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I should buy a
    > widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that when I view
    > my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and fatter/broader in
    > widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect be present on a
    > widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
    > Just a thought.

    Won't look like a tv. You get visual distorion when you watch tv broadcast
    in 4:3 aspect on a tv set to 16:9. Your tv might have a "format" setting
    to allow you to watch 4:3 broadcasts without distortion however you'll
    have blank screen on each side.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Nov 17, 2006

  3. Joe wrote:

    > I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I should buy a
    > widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that when I
    > view my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and fatter/broader in
    > widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect be present on a
    > widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
    > Just a thought.

    If you use your pc to watch movies, or prefer landscape format for your
    pictures, or you want to view 2 full pages on one screen, you may want to
    buy a widescreen. Take care of the actual resolution: a normal 19" screen
    usually offers 1280x1024 resolution, while some "widescreens" only have
    1280x960 or something alike.

    Walter Mautner, Nov 17, 2006
  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    > Joe wrote:
    >
    >> I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I should buy
    >> widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that when I
    >> view my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and fatter/broader
    >> in
    >> widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect be present on a
    >> widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
    >> Just a thought.
    >>

    > If you use your pc to watch movies, or prefer landscape format for your
    > pictures, or you want to view 2 full pages on one screen, you may want to
    > buy a widescreen. Take care of the actual resolution: a normal 19" screen
    > usually offers 1280x1024 resolution, while some "widescreens" only have
    > 1280x960 or something alike.
    >
    > --
    > vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
    > on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
    > incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    > Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    I just tried those two resolutions on my own pc here at home, and the
    difference is one which makes me wonder what would happen if I did the same
    thing whilst actually using a widescreen monitor. Hmm.

    Thanks.
    Joe.

    Joe, Nov 17, 2006
  5. Joe

    DanR Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> Joe wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I
    >>> should buy a
    >>> widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that
    >>> when I view my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and
    >>> fatter/broader in
    >>> widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect be present on a
    >>> widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
    >>> Just a thought.
    >>>

    >> If you use your pc to watch movies, or prefer landscape format for
    >> your pictures, or you want to view 2 full pages on one screen, you
    >> may want to buy a widescreen. Take care of the actual resolution: a
    >> normal 19" screen usually offers 1280x1024 resolution, while some
    >> "widescreens" only have 1280x960 or something alike.
    >>
    >> --
    >> vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin
    >> patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
    >> incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    >> Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    > I just tried those two resolutions on my own pc here at home, and the
    > difference is one which makes me wonder what would happen if I did
    > the same thing whilst actually using a widescreen monitor. Hmm.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Joe.

    1680x1050 is a common wide screen aspect. Note that the dimensions are
    measured diagonally. So a 19 inch 4x3 monitor will be taller than a 19 inch
    wide screen.

    DanR, Nov 17, 2006
  6. Joe

    Carol2 Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I should buy a
    >widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that when I view
    >my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and fatter/broader in
    >widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect be present on a
    >widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
    > Just a thought.
    >
    > Joe.

    I had to replace my system this fall due to age-related HD failure & went
    with a OTC brand-name this time. I had an option to upgrade to a 19" wide
    screen & asked similar questions. The knowledgable salesperson assured me
    that I would be pleased with the upgrade, showed me some in-store
    models.....& he was right. This TFT LCD monitor is 10" x 16", & I Love the
    added width for graphics editing, etc. If you use spreadsheets, it would be
    another plus.......much less scrolling. 8^)

    Carol2

    Carol2, Nov 21, 2006
  7. Joe

    Jack Gillis Guest

    "Carol2" <> wrote in message

    > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >>I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I should buy a
    >>widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that when I
    >>view my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and fatter/broader in
    >>widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect be present on a
    >>widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
    >> Just a thought.
    >>
    >> Joe.

    > I had to replace my system this fall due to age-related HD failure & went
    > with a OTC brand-name this time. I had an option to upgrade to a 19" wide
    > screen & asked similar questions. The knowledgable salesperson assured me
    > that I would be pleased with the upgrade, showed me some in-store
    > models.....& he was right. This TFT LCD monitor is 10" x 16", & I Love
    > the added width for graphics editing, etc. If you use spreadsheets, it
    > would be another plus.......much less scrolling. 8^)
    >
    > Carol2

    Carol,

    Like Joe asked, I wonder if the wide screen distorts images. On my laptop
    wide screen, any site that displays a circle gets that circle displayed as
    an oval. Likewise, a square becomes a rectangle. Does that happen on your
    wide screen?

    Jack

    Jack Gillis, Nov 21, 2006
  8. "Jack Gillis" really posted this

    > "Carol2" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I should
    >>>buy a widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that
    >>>when I view my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and
    >>>fatter/broader in widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect
    >>>be present on a widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos,
    >>>videos etc.,.?
    >>> Just a thought.
    >>>
    >>> Joe.

    >> I had to replace my system this fall due to age-related HD failure &
    >> went with a OTC brand-name this time. I had an option to upgrade to a
    >> 19" wide screen & asked similar questions. The knowledgable
    >> salesperson assured me that I would be pleased with the upgrade, showed
    >> me some in-store models.....& he was right. This TFT LCD monitor is
    >> 10" x 16", & I Love the added width for graphics editing, etc. If you
    >> use spreadsheets, it would be another plus.......much less scrolling.
    >> 8^)
    >>
    >> Carol2
    >>

    > Carol,
    >
    > Like Joe asked, I wonder if the wide screen distorts images. On my
    > laptop wide screen, any site that displays a circle gets that circle
    > displayed as an oval. Likewise, a square becomes a rectangle. Does
    > that happen on your wide screen?
    >
    > Jack

    It doesn't on any of mine.

    This is just too complicated to explain...

    It's a video card-receives-and-interprets signal thang - combined with a
    web-site's code. If a website is coded correctly and you have a correct
    [almost any recent] video card, your video is not distorted. Sometimes it
    is. Sometimes computing is erratic. Sometimes, in your value-system's
    reality-based space-time-continuum, Bill Gates is *just* /screwing/ with
    *you*!

    Two for those who can roll: 1) Don't ya think there'd be hoards of
    screaming consumers with wide screens that make nekkid pikktures of their
    wives look even fatter? And, 2) just go get one from Circuit City or Wal
    Mart [after the pagan holidaze, of course] or anyone with a money-back
    policy and try it!

    Then post back here and tell us all about it. If you're unhappy, maybe I'll
    start a PayPal fund and get you re-imbursed for your petrol costs - and buy
    your lunch too.

    --

    To me, truth is not some vague and/or foggy notion.
    Truth *is* real! And, at the same time - unreal.

    This is "truth," to me.

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 21, 2006
  9. Joe

    Carol2 Guest

    "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message

    > "Carol2" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I should buy
    >>>a widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that when I
    >>>view my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and fatter/broader
    >>>in widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect be present on a
    >>>widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
    >>> Just a thought.
    >>>
    >>> Joe.

    >> I had to replace my system this fall due to age-related HD failure & went
    >> with a OTC brand-name this time. I had an option to upgrade to a 19"
    >> wide screen & asked similar questions. The knowledgable salesperson
    >> assured me that I would be pleased with the upgrade, showed me some
    >> in-store models.....& he was right. This TFT LCD monitor is 10" x 16", &
    >> I Love the added width for graphics editing, etc. If you use
    >> spreadsheets, it would be another plus.......much less scrolling. 8^)
    >>
    >> Carol2
    >>

    > Carol,
    >
    > Like Joe asked, I wonder if the wide screen distorts images. On my
    > laptop wide screen, any site that displays a circle gets that circle
    > displayed as an oval. Likewise, a square becomes a rectangle. Does that
    > happen on your wide screen?
    >
    > Jack

    That's what I was trying to say, Jack......in my reference to graphics (&
    pic) editing. 8^) There is no distortion.....at least none that I have
    been able to find. The system is a Gateway with Gateway FPD1975W TFT LCD
    Monitor (Widescreen 1440x900 resolution). My previous (1 yr. old)
    flat-screen CRT monitor had some definite 'warping' problems, that I was
    Never able to clear up. Truly.....I had myself convinced that I would not
    like a LCD monitor (much less a wide screen, due to the distortion problems
    you mention & that I have witnessed on wide-screen TVs), but I DO love this
    screen & would purchase another. In fact, I can't Imagine going back to my
    old monitor. Also.....due to window placements & lighting, I had a definite
    problem with the CRT screen. That is gone now. 8^)

    BTW....I note that you are referring to a laptop. I don't know anything
    about that, as I don't own one......but Have worked with a couple & haven't
    noticed the problem on them either. Perhaps, you need to check your
    monitor's settings? (Refer to documentation)

    Carol2

    Carol2, Nov 22, 2006