widescreen information via VCD? (assistance needed)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by PseudoApparition, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. I'm looking for VCD-compatible MPG videos that show why people should buy
    widescreen DVDs instead of Pan & Scan / Unmatted. My intent is to compile a
    VCD of these. See, I work in a major record store, and am in charge of all
    things visual-related. We have a DVD-watching post, where we let people
    view the five "big" DVD releases of the week/month/quarter/whatever. Well,
    I was thinking, instead of five... it'd be four, so the fifth disc could be
    this VCD (which I'd make sure is being played when no one is watching
    something else...). I figure it can't HURT sales in our store, and can only
    inform the uninformed. Not to mention, it'd make widescreen advocates like
    myself smile.

    so, if you know where I can get such videos, please let me know. I may end
    up creating one or two myself, but I want to get a bunch of them, all with
    different examples (hopefully including one about films that ARE meant to be
    fullscreen, like Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane, etc, so people aren't endlessly
    searching for a non-existant widescreen copy), so people can see that the
    issue spans across ALL genres of film.

    and maybe I'll get myself a half-decent raise ;)

    thanks,
    Dan
    dansucks at hotmail dot com

    PS: I chose VCD simply because I don't have a DVD Burner, and don't have
    access to one at all.

    PS2: yes, I have too much spare time on my hands.

    PseudoApparition, Nov 24, 2003

  2. PseudoApparition

    Doonie Guest

    Just make a bunch of copies of a flyer explaining the differences
    and showing examples and stuff one into each person's bag as they make
    a purchase.

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca

    Doonie, Nov 24, 2003

  3. PseudoApparition <> wrote:
    : I'm looking for VCD-compatible MPG videos that show why people should buy
    : widescreen DVDs instead of Pan & Scan / Unmatted. My intent is to compile a
    : VCD of these. See, I work in a major record store, and am in charge of all
    : things visual-related. We have a DVD-watching post, where we let people
    : view the five "big" DVD releases of the week/month/quarter/whatever. Well,
    : I was thinking, instead of five... it'd be four, so the fifth disc could be
    : this VCD (which I'd make sure is being played when no one is watching
    : something else...). I figure it can't HURT sales in our store, and can only
    : inform the uninformed. Not to mention, it'd make widescreen advocates like
    : myself smile.

    The "best" way to do this is from currently published DVD's that have
    been released in both formats (one widescreen, the other P&S) however ..
    99% of DVD's are copy protected so that's out :-(

    You could try it from similarly released VHS tape versions .. if they
    aren't copyprotected.

    I'd think you'd need to have a running audio commentary telling folks ..
    "See how much you can see here ... and now, see how much is lost" or
    something to the effect.

    It's a commendable idea, but I think it'll be too much work to do.

    Richard in Boston, MA, USA

    Richard G Amirault, Nov 24, 2003
  4. "Richard G Amirault" <> wrote in message
    > The "best" way to do this is from currently published DVD's that have
    > been released in both formats (one widescreen, the other P&S)

    definitely. The only way is to show a direct comparison.

    > however ..
    > 99% of DVD's are copy protected so that's out :-(

    well, anyone can acquire the means to skip over that, but the problem is
    that it requires defeating the copy protection which is illegal due to the
    DMCA. Also, I don't think using clips of copyrighted material in such a way
    is legal, either. I'm not sure what would fall under acceptible use or
    whatnot, since this project is solely for informational purposes. I don't
    know enough about the laws to risk it. Not yet, anyway. If I were doing
    this for my own viewing (and to show to uninformed friends) then I wouldn't
    be so worried... but since the plan is to show it in a commercial record
    store, the "rights" issue will inevitably come up.

    > You could try it from similarly released VHS tape versions .. if they
    > aren't copyprotected.

    I've got some old VHS tapes that'd do the trick. I just need to find them,
    and my dusty old VCR.

    > I'd think you'd need to have a running audio commentary telling folks ..
    > "See how much you can see here ... and now, see how much is lost" or
    > something to the effect.

    definitely. That, or explanations before and after each clip.

    > It's a commendable idea, but I think it'll be too much work to do.
    >
    > Richard in Boston, MA, USA

    bah! I just need more motivation.

    Dan

    PseudoApparition, Nov 25, 2003
  5. "Doonie" <> wrote in message
    > Just make a bunch of copies of a flyer explaining the differences
    > and showing examples and stuff one into each person's bag as they make
    > a purchase.

    that was my initial idea, but in the end, I don't like giving flyers to
    people. It'll give them the impression we're trying to spread some kind of
    propaganda or something. Plus, I don't think flyers do any justice to the
    core issue. Maybe it's just me, but a simple screen-capture of one moment
    in a film isn't convincing enough, 'cause people are bound to think/say
    "well, that extra stuff doesn't matter at that particular second in the
    film." I want to show just how extensively a film is changed due to Pan &
    Scan / Unmatting.

    If anything, I might make little business-card-sized sheets, giving a very
    simple explanation along with "see our DVD Viewing Post for some examples"
    or something like that, and keep those up at the front of the store.

    Dan

    PseudoApparition, Nov 25, 2003
  6. PseudoApparition

    Codswallop Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:33:17 GMT, PseudoApparition wrote in
    alt.video.dvd:

    > If anything, I might make little business-card-sized sheets, giving a
    > very simple explanation along with "see our DVD Viewing Post for some
    > examples" or something like that, and keep those up at the front of
    > the store.

    Why not movie-sized posters with two or three examples shown throughout
    the store?

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to email)

    Codswallop, Nov 25, 2003
  7. PseudoApparition

    Cheesypeas Guest

    the old PAL Fox widescreen releases of the Star Wars trilogy had a short
    trailer showing you how much more you could see on the WS versions before
    each movie.

    Cheesypeas, Nov 25, 2003
  8. PseudoApparition

    Rick Guest

    I only know of a couple of "official" productions that demonstrate between
    P&S and W/S. The first is on the second disc of the Die Hard movie where
    the director/producer shows the difference (although the scene in question
    is quite boring and ultimately not "catchy" enough I think for the customers
    to bothe watching). The other is from A Bug's Life S.E. but this actually
    negates the point you are making between the two formats since this movie is
    the only one in history to have had the adjustments that were made to them
    (ie the CGI was completely redone in certain shots and was done purely to
    suit the 1.33:1 format as well as exhibiting its original 2.35:1 format -
    basically, both versions are perfectly framed no matter which one you
    watch).

    Rick, Nov 25, 2003
  9. PseudoApparition

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Rick" <> wrote:

    > I only know of a couple of "official" productions that demonstrate between
    > P&S and W/S. The first is on the second disc of the Die Hard movie where
    > the director/producer shows the difference (although the scene in question
    > is quite boring and ultimately not "catchy" enough I think for the customers
    > to bothe watching). The other is from A Bug's Life S.E. but this actually
    > negates the point you are making between the two formats since this movie is
    > the only one in history to have had the adjustments that were made to them
    > (ie the CGI was completely redone in certain shots and was done purely to
    > suit the 1.33:1 format as well as exhibiting its original 2.35:1 format -
    > basically, both versions are perfectly framed no matter which one you
    > watch).

    Not true. Finding Nemo also has the distinct "honor" of being reframed.
    This still upsets me greatly though as I feel they're trying way too
    hard to cater to the FOOL screen dumbasses when they do this. Though I
    suppose it's still better than P&Sing the movie.
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Nov 26, 2003
  10. From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU Rick
    <>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is
    Pink?"
    > I only know of a couple of "official" productions that demonstrate
    > between P&S and W/S. The first is on the second disc of the Die Hard
    > movie where the director/producer shows the difference (although the
    > scene in question is quite boring and ultimately not "catchy" enough
    > I think for the customers to bother watching). The other is from A
    > Bug's Life S.E. but this actually negates the point you are making
    > between the two formats since this movie is the only one in history
    > to have had the adjustments that were made to them (ie the CGI was
    > completely redone in certain shots and was done purely to suit the
    > 1.33:1 format as well as exhibiting its original 2.35:1 format -
    > basically, both versions are perfectly framed no matter which one you
    > watch).

    The reformated 1.33:1 "Bug's Life" still has areas where its still P&Sed
    or having characters that are normally shown on the WS version cut off
    on the reformatted version.

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Nov 26, 2003

    --
    Chris Meadows aka | If this post helped or entertained you, please rate
    Robotech_Master | it at http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=robotech

    Robotech_Master, Dec 8, 2003
  12. On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:26:45 GMT, PseudoApparition
    <> wrote:

    > well, anyone can acquire the means to skip over that, but the
    > problem is that it requires defeating the copy protection which is
    > illegal due to the DMCA. Also, I don't think using clips of
    > copyrighted material in such a way is legal, either.

    IANAL (though even if I were a lawyer, I don't think I could pass up
    the opportunity to write ANAL in all caps like that :) but using clips
    of copyrighted material for purposes such as criticism or review would
    fall under the auspice of fair use. If it didn't, then for one thing
    we wouldn't have movie review TV shows that show clips from the
    movies. See the Fair Use summary here:

    http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/fair_use.html

    As to the DMCA...well, that is the problem, isn't it. But then
    again...I don't remember this for certain, but I seem to recall
    hearing that it was only *writing* the programs that was illegal...not
    actually using them once you'd gotten ahold of them. But again, I'm
    not a lawyer.

    Robotech_Master, Dec 8, 2003