    is blank.

    Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is this
    an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's control?

    History Fan, Nov 13, 2007

  2. History Fan wrote:
    > I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I am
    > using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer running
    > Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default web browser.
    >
    > I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
    > off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
    > centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the screen
    > is blank.
    >
    > Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is this
    > an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's control?

    try adjusting the screen monitor. There should be a setting
    for screen resulution, contrass, etc. There should be
    something there to move everything to the left or right, and
    another for top and bottom.

    disregarded!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Nov 13, 2007

  3. History Fan

    Frank Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    > I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I am
    > using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer running
    > Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default web browser.
    >
    > I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
    > off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
    > centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the screen
    > is blank.
    >
    > Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is this
    > an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's control?

    Does not bother me but you can size the Firefox with your mouse. Another
    site may take more room and you will need to size to see more.

    Frank, Nov 14, 2007
  4. History Fan

    Rom Guest

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:53:32 -0500, History Fan wrote:

    > I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I am
    > using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer running
    > Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default web browser.
    >
    > I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
    > off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
    > centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the screen
    > is blank.
    >
    > Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is this
    > an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's control?

    It's the site and their Graphics version. Not good, IMO. They also
    have a "Low graphics" link at the top for a text-only version.

    Some sites/pages may go the other way with text spanning the width,
    which I find hard to read without resizing the width of the window.

    What you can do is size the Firefox window to a width suitable for
    most sites and your usage, rather than full screen width or maximised.
    Some people have shortcuts or a sidebar etc. on the desktop, and use
    full screen sometimes as/when required. With a widescreen display, the
    sidebar in Firefox is more useful and can leave (bookmarks) open. With
    the sidebar open, sites like the bbc are no longer on the far right of
    the screen and there's less white space.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Nov 14, 2007
  5. History Fan

    Rom Guest

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:59:56 +1100, Rom wrote:

    [...]
    > the sidebar open, sites like the bbc are no longer on the far right of
    > the screen and there's less white space.

    Should be far *left* of the screen.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Nov 14, 2007
  6. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    "Rom" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:53:32 -0500, History Fan wrote:
    >
    >> I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I
    >> am
    >> using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer
    >> running
    >> Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default web
    >> browser.
    >>
    >> I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
    >> off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
    >> centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the
    >> screen
    >> is blank.
    >>
    >> Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is
    >> this
    >> an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's control?

    > It's the site and their Graphics version. Not good, IMO. They also
    > have a "Low graphics" link at the top for a text-only version.
    >
    > Some sites/pages may go the other way with text spanning the width,
    > which I find hard to read without resizing the width of the window.
    >
    > What you can do is size the Firefox window to a width suitable for
    > most sites and your usage, rather than full screen width or maximised.
    > Some people have shortcuts or a sidebar etc. on the desktop, and use
    > full screen sometimes as/when required. With a widescreen display, the
    > sidebar in Firefox is more useful and can leave (bookmarks) open. With
    > the sidebar open, sites like the bbc are no longer on the far right of
    > the screen and there's less white space.
    >

    > --
    > Rom

    Opening the Bookmarks window seems to work. Never thought of that.

    I also use the Yahoo Widgets, and you can tweak them to sit above all
    other windows. However, doing that does not cause the Firefox or IE 7
    window to be resized.

    History Fan, Nov 14, 2007
  7. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    > Some sites/pages may go the other way with text spanning the width,
    > which I find hard to read without resizing the width of the window.

    That too is a nuisance with a widescreen display and some
    websites....as I am finding out.

    History Fan, Nov 14, 2007
  8. History Fan

    Justin Guest

    History Fan wrote on [Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:53:32 -0500]:
    > I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I am
    > using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer running
    > Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default web browser.
    >
    > I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
    > off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
    > centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the screen
    > is blank.
    >
    > Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is this
    > an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's control?

    It's most often an artifact of the page design.

    It's simple to fix, don't maxmimise firefox, and only have about 2/3 of
    the screen wide. Then centre firefox.

    Justin, Nov 14, 2007
  9. "History Fan" <> wrote in message
    > I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I am
    > using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer
    > running Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default
    > web browser.
    >
    > I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
    > off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
    > centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the screen
    > is blank.
    >
    > Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is
    > this an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's
    > control?

    It's because widescreen is crap.
    It has no real merits.
    It is drived from cinemas which have relatively low ceilings, hence
    a 'big picture' has to be wide.
    I think it is a scandelous that it is taking over from a more sensibly
    shaped 4:3
    screen.
    Generally we don't like wide, it hard to read wide text as you lose
    which line you are on, and you brian is not pre-loaded
    with what will be on the next line.
    This is easy to read because more of the
    text falls into your eyes clearest region
    of vision. This is why newspapers divide
    text into narrow columns, you never see a newspaper spead a line across the
    whole length of the page like this one because it is
    a lot harder to read. When your eye scans back from the end of the line it
    finds it hard to locate the next line because of the distance
    involved, not too difficult with these lines because there are only a few of
    them and they are not very long, they could be almost twice as long as this
    on a widescreen.
    Also you have by now forgotten what was at the start of the previous line
    which you can use as an aid to locate the next line.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Nov 16, 2007
  10. "History Fan" <> wrote in message
    > I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I am
    > using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer
    > running Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default
    > web browser.
    >
    > I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
    > off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
    > centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the screen
    > is blank.
    >
    > Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is
    > this an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's
    > control?

    Just resize the window to the BBC window width, then all new windows
    will use that size.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Nov 16, 2007
  11. "History Fan" <> wrote in message
    >> Some sites/pages may go the other way with text spanning the width,
    >> which I find hard to read without resizing the width of the window.

    > That too is a nuisance with a widescreen display and some
    > websites....as I am finding out.

    Yes its a pain, most people given the choice will not use lines not
    much longer than this. Our field of useful vision is actually
    round so it helps to keep stuff withing that region, the width
    of that circle of vision is about this wide at a normal viewing distance
    so it cuts down on eye movement.
    Actually it is probably narrower
    this kind of width, which newspapers
    tend to use.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Nov 16, 2007
  12. History Fan

    Justin Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote on [Fri, 16 Nov 2007 02:02:04 GMT]:

    > "History Fan" <> wrote in message
    >> I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I am
    >> using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer
    >> running Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default
    >> web browser.
    >>
    >> I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
    >> off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
    >> centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the screen
    >> is blank.
    >>
    >> Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is
    >> this an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's
    >> control?

    > It's because widescreen is crap.
    > It has no real merits.
    > It is drived from cinemas which have relatively low ceilings, hence
    > a 'big picture' has to be wide.
    > I think it is a scandelous that it is taking over from a more sensibly
    > shaped 4:3
    > screen.

    You are a fount of bullshit, aren't you.

    Justin, Nov 16, 2007
  13. History Fan

    Rom Guest

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 02:02:04 GMT, Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    [...]
    > It's because widescreen is crap.

    It's true that some sites/pages are not designed for or as suited to
    widescreen. I prefer widescreen to 4:3 format, and it does take some
    thinking about how to use and make the most of the screen space, but
    preferred the resolution changing of CRTs to LCDs.

    > It has no real merits.

    Yes it does, but maybe not for gamers or everyone yet.

    The bigger the widescreen the more windows can be seen, and a large
    widescreen can be used instead of multiple monitors. Widescreen is
    good for apps that use columns, multiple panes, palettes, toolbars
    etc. like email/news clients or art, photo, imaging apps.

    Widescreen is available for desktops, notebooks and tablets.
    A 17" widescreen notebook, say as a replacement desktop, has a decent
    keyboard. I have a widescreen monitor and widescreen tablet.

    > Generally we don't like wide, it hard to read wide text as you lose
    > which line you are on, and you brian is not pre-loaded
    > with what will be on the next line.

    Sure, shorter lines are better than long lines for readability, but
    pane/window widths can also play a part in display.

    Web sites should think about design and layout for everyone.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Nov 17, 2007