Wide screen vs. standard screen monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by eganders, Nov 15, 2006.

  1. eganders

    eganders Guest

    My 1280 X 1024 ProView monitor quit. I have an HP computer with a 2.53
    GHz Pentium 4 that is about 4 years old. I got a ProView 16 X 9, 1440
    X 900 wide screen monitor (PL926Wbi) from Computer City.

    The computer display is set up as 1280 X 1024 which is one of the
    selections. The controller is Intel(R) 82845G/GL Graphics Controller

    My questions are:

    Does a wide screen monitor like this make sense for this computer?

    What are the range of prices for 19 inch screens in standard aspect
    ratio and the 16X9?

    What is driving the use of 16 X 9 monitor screens on a PC? Just
    movies?

    My son just gave me a Mac G4. What monitor would be best for it?
    Probably use it for Internet, Word, Photoshop, Video editing.

    eganders, Nov 15, 2006

  2. eganders

    bmoag Guest

    For the best image the monitor should be run at its native resolution. Flat
    panels have only one refresh rate.
    If the onboard graphics in your computer cannot handle that resolution you
    would get better results by adding in a videocard; hopefully your
    motherboard has an AGP slot.
    The signal requirements for a monitor are the same regardless of whether
    connected to a Mac or a PC.
    The advantage of a wider screen is the ability to use multiple windows more
    efficiently. For Photoshop, presuming you understand how to use Photoshop
    and color management, a wider screen allows you to move the tools and other
    palettes further off from the image you are working on.

    bmoag, Nov 16, 2006

  3. eganders

    eganders Guest

    I forgot the value this would be to Photoshop. Good point. Most of
    our use of the PC is on the internet. I do some Visio and Photoshop
    work on it. I have done a "split horizontally" and that has been
    useful.

    I think I do have a "native resolution" problem, but I need to check it
    out further. If you look at the characters on the screen, they don't
    all look crisp. There is a "greying" out of some of the strokes of the
    characters. I think that means that the resolution of the card needs
    to be aligned with the resolution of the display. They are not too
    clear on this point in the setup info. I am using the 15 pin VGA
    connector (which is all that is supplied with this Proview monitor).

    eganders, Nov 16, 2006