    Am I right or really misunderstanding ?

    For users WITH wide-screens - any advantages ? What are the minuses ?

    Thanks

    - Bobb -, Dec 15, 2007

  2. I have an LCD that is not a wide screen, and another that is. The wide
    screen still displays Page Width, and does not go crazy with 200 characters
    before a line wrap. I have a 19" and a 20"WS, and they both do the job(s) I
    need, and watching DVDs on my computer is not among the tasks I assign ...

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 15, 2007

  3. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Jeff, when you maximize a window : say
    http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn
    is the right side of the window just empty space ?

    Sorry I've looked at reviews and can't find the answer: assume that it's a
    24 in LCD wide-screen.

    If I only see the same webpage info as if on a 17" monitor, do the fonts
    get larger to fill the IE window ? Or does it keep "regular proportions"
    and only maximize to the height of the monitor - leaving you to see your
    'desktop' on the right of the window ? Right ?

    Bottom Line of where I'm coming from:
    I keep thinking that in either case, if "not as high" as a 'regular'
    monitor, then I'm seeing less lines per screen ? AND if not word- wrapping
    and I'm seeing no more of a document than with a 'regular monitor" , then
    why get a wide-screen ?

    ( some good deals on them tomorrow at Staples.com , but when I look at
    them there I cannot compare lcd to monitor with same pc.)

    Thanks

    - Bobb -, Dec 15, 2007
  4. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    > Jeff, when you maximize a window : say
    > http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn
    > is the right side of the window just empty space ?
    >
    > Sorry I've looked at reviews and can't find the answer: assume that it's a
    > 24 in LCD wide-screen.
    >
    > If I only see the same webpage info as if on a 17" monitor, do the fonts
    > get larger to fill the IE window ? Or does it keep "regular proportions"
    > and only maximize to the height of the monitor - leaving you to see your
    > 'desktop' on the right of the window ? Right ?
    >
    > Bottom Line of where I'm coming from:
    > I keep thinking that in either case, if "not as high" as a 'regular'
    > monitor, then I'm seeing less lines per screen ? AND if not word- wrapping
    > and I'm seeing no more of a document than with a 'regular monitor" , then
    > why get a wide-screen ?

    Why? Well, you can open to normal windows and place them side by side and
    see more of each. This makes moving files with Windows Explorer way easier.
    Way.

    Gamers like the wide screen.

    Web surfing in a normal window, with videos being played in a different
    window is easier. Let's say you were looking at a news story, and it invoked
    a video. The news can be positioned on one side of the screen, and the video
    on the other. You can view the video and move on to another news story.

    Instead of Maximized wondows, you can do most work in Normal windows, and
    get two or more on the screen without having to scroll sideways.

    Add to that, the widescreen format for movies on DVD, and you get another
    viewing opportunity outside of the Family Room.

    Given the falling prices of wide screen monitors, I'd not hesitate to get a
    22 or 224 inch widescreen, assuming I had the video card resources necessary
    to drive it.

    Try Best Buy and Fry's ... I seriously doubt you can get the best price at
    Staples. WalMart has excellent prices on TVs, assuming they have the same
    deals on mon itors, you should try them too.

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 16, 2007
  5. On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:56:38 -0500, - Bobb - wrote:

    [---]
    > For users WITH wide-screens - any advantages ? What are the minuses ?

    I bought my first laptop about a month ago and this has a 15-inch wide
    screen display. As well as what has been said in the other replies, I
    find that the Vista sidebar sits nicely on the display. On a standard
    display I find this takes up too much screen space and I never use it
    for that reason.

    When I return to my main desktop machine (with a 19-inch standard
    display) after using the laptop I find the screen appears constricted
    and unnatural to view.

    I'd say definitely go for the wide screen - I like it so much I'm about
    to buy a new wide screen monitor for my desktop machine.

    --
    Walter.

    Walter Docherty, Dec 16, 2007
  6. - Bobb -

    John Guest

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:56:38 -0500, "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123>
    wrote:

    >I still use an old monitor and have been waiting for sales to get an LCD.
    >Now that the sales are on, I see all LCD monitors appear to be
    >"wide-screens". I'm hesitant about a wide screen as PC monitor. I don't
    >care about watching DVD's so what's the advantage ?
    >I'm thinking that if I'm displaying a Word document that has no line wraps
    >and hit MAXIMIZE WINDOW that it's gonna fit .... 200 characters ?? per
    >line before wrapping .... fonts/ text in the windows will appear either
    >tiny or distorted when maximized.

    Get a widescreen monitor that you can rotate. Then you can have it in
    portrait mode and this is excellent for using the Internet and also
    word documents and DTP etc.

    >For "most internet windows" that are web formatted I don't need/want a
    >wide-screen window that's full of empty space on the right.

    That's correct, but also for most internet windows it would be very
    advantageous to have a widescreen monitor rotated 90 degrees into
    portrait mode which would be brilliant for the internet.

    >Am I right or really misunderstanding ?

    You're right, its not much use having a widescreen in regular
    landscape mode for the internet. If you can get one though that you
    can rotate it would be a big advantage over just a regular box shape
    monitor.

    John

    John, Dec 16, 2007
  7. - Bobb -

    Boscoe Guest

    >I still use an old monitor and have been waiting for sales to get an LCD.
    >Now that the sales are on, I see all LCD monitors appear to be
    >"wide-screens". I'm hesitant about a wide screen as PC monitor. I don't
    >care about watching DVD's so what's the advantage ?
    > I'm thinking that if I'm displaying a Word document that has no line wraps
    > and hit MAXIMIZE WINDOW that it's gonna fit .... 200 characters ?? per
    > line before wrapping .... fonts/ text in the windows will appear either
    > tiny or distorted when maximized.
    >
    > For "most internet windows" that are web formatted I don't need/want a
    > wide-screen window that's full of empty space on the right.
    >
    > Am I right or really misunderstanding ?
    >
    > For users WITH wide-screens - any advantages ? What are the minuses ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Wider pages are becoming the norm on websites, as CNN and the NYT have
    shown. In other words, sadly or not, it's more text, more links, and more
    buttons, whistles, and bells, crammed into slightly more space.

    Boscoe, Dec 16, 2007
  8. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    >I still use an old monitor and have been waiting for sales to get an LCD.
    >Now that the sales are on, I see all LCD monitors appear to be
    >"wide-screens". I'm hesitant about a wide screen as PC monitor. I don't
    >care about watching DVD's so what's the advantage ?
    > I'm thinking that if I'm displaying a Word document that has no line wraps
    > and hit MAXIMIZE WINDOW that it's gonna fit .... 200 characters ?? per
    > line before wrapping .... fonts/ text in the windows will appear either
    > tiny or distorted when maximized.
    >
    > For "most internet windows" that are web formatted I don't need/want a
    > wide-screen window that's full of empty space on the right.
    >
    > Am I right or really misunderstanding ?
    >
    > For users WITH wide-screens - any advantages ? What are the minuses ?

    None, they are crap.
    The sensitivity of your field of vision is circular.
    Long text lines are hard to read.
    You lose the line you are on on flyback.
    99% of scrolling is in the verical plane.
    That is why the scroll button on the mouse works vertically.
    Widescreen is a case of the Emporers New Clothes.
    It is inherently inefficient. Nobody want to admit the Emporer is naked.
    It means they are admitting to either being idiot or liars or both.

    Go to any site and you will find that you could see more content if the
    screen was taller not wide.

    Widescreen is a con.

    A turd dressed up as a diamond.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 17, 2007
  9. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote in message

    >>I still use an old monitor and have been waiting for sales to get an
    >>LCD. Now that the sales are on, I see all LCD monitors appear to be
    >>"wide-screens". I'm hesitant about a wide screen as PC monitor. I don't
    >>care about watching DVD's so what's the advantage ?
    >> I'm thinking that if I'm displaying a Word document that has no line
    >> wraps and hit MAXIMIZE WINDOW that it's gonna fit .... 200 characters
    >> ?? per line before wrapping .... fonts/ text in the windows will appear
    >> either tiny or distorted when maximized.
    >>
    >> For "most internet windows" that are web formatted I don't need/want a
    >> wide-screen window that's full of empty space on the right.
    >>
    >> Am I right or really misunderstanding ?
    >>
    >> For users WITH wide-screens - any advantages ? What are the minuses ?

    > None, they are crap.
    > The sensitivity of your field of vision is circular.
    > Long text lines are hard to read.
    > You lose the line you are on on flyback.
    > 99% of scrolling is in the verical plane.
    > That is why the scroll button on the mouse works vertically.
    > Widescreen is a case of the Emporers New Clothes.
    > It is inherently inefficient. Nobody want to admit the Emporer is naked.
    > It means they are admitting to either being idiot or liars or both.
    >
    > Go to any site and you will find that you could see more content if the
    > screen was taller not wide.
    >
    > Widescreen is a con.
    >
    > A turd dressed up as a diamond.

    So I'm not alone ... Since posting , I went looking for monitors and all
    but a few were wide-screen, SO if that's all they'll be selling I guess
    I'm in no hurry for these sales and will look into one of the HP's LCD's
    that I can turn 90 degrees to get the taller / narrow view.
    Thanks folks.

    - Bobb -, Dec 17, 2007