wide screen monitors - any drawbacks?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mathew Good, Mar 20, 2007.

  1. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:39:11 +1200, noddy <> wrote:

    >An old monitor has finally given up the ghost and I am going to get an
    >lcd flat panel monitor - I have to decide whether or not to get a
    >widescreen one - are there any implications regarding compatibility
    >with a four year old computer
    >I would be grateful for any advice
    >TIA

    Does the PC Video out support a DVI-D connector, as this give better resolution, but these
    monitors cost a little bit more.

    Also most of the Cheaper models only support 900 vertical resolution.

    noddy, Mar 20, 2007

  3. Mathew Good

    Malone Guest

    "noddy" <> wrote in message news:...
    > An old monitor has finally given up the ghost and I am going to get an
    > lcd flat panel monitor - I have to decide whether or not to get a
    > widescreen one - are there any implications regarding compatibility
    > with a four year old computer
    > I would be grateful for any advice
    > TIA

    I have a two-year old computer with a widescreen lcd display. The screen resolution is 1360x768 and it looks great. But have two minor problems I haven't resolved yet:-

    - if I don't turn on the monitor BEFORE the computer, if I wait until Windows is booted up before turning on the lcd, the lcd display will be blank. I need to boot with the lcd display turned on first to get a picture.

    - I can't start into bios with the widescreen lcd. Again, I get a blank screen. If I want to go into bios I need to connect an old non-wide screen crt instead, before turning the computer on.

    I suspect these problems are related, perhaps something to do with the default drivers, but I haven't considered them serious enough to spend time resolving them. However, if there is an obvious solution to anyone reading I would be very interested......
    Malone, Mar 20, 2007
  4. Mathew Good

    Richard Guest

    Malone wrote:

    > I have a two-year old computer with a widescreen lcd display. The screen resolution is 1360x768 and it looks great. But have two minor problems I haven't resolved yet:-
    >
    > - if I don't turn on the monitor BEFORE the computer, if I wait until Windows is booted up before turning on the lcd, the lcd display will be blank. I need to boot with the lcd display turned on first to get a picture.
    >
    > - I can't start into bios with the widescreen lcd. Again, I get a blank screen. If I want to go into bios I need to connect an old non-wide screen crt instead, before turning the computer on.
    >
    > I suspect these problems are related, perhaps something to do with the default drivers, but I haven't considered them serious enough to spend time resolving them. However, if there is an obvious solution to anyone reading I would be very interested......

    Nothing to do with drivers, its just one of those incompatiability
    things. There may be a newer bios for the video card to solve this, I
    have seen no bios display on certain monitors listed in the fixes many
    times.

    And widescreen these days seems to mean a reduction in vertical
    resolution rather then an increse in horizontal. I had a lappy with
    1600x1200 on it. Good luck finding anything like that in a wideie.
    Richard, Mar 20, 2007
  5. Mathew Good

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <45ff9b13$>, Richard wrote:
    > Malone wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a two-year old computer with a widescreen lcd display. The screen resolution is 1360x768 and it looks great. But have two minor problems I haven't resolved yet:-
    >>
    >> - if I don't turn on the monitor BEFORE the computer, if I wait until Windows is booted up before turning on the lcd, the lcd display will be blank. I need to boot with the lcd display turned on first to get a picture.
    >>
    >> - I can't start into bios with the widescreen lcd. Again, I get a blank screen. If I want to go into bios I need to connect an old non-wide screen crt instead, before turning the computer on.
    >>
    >> I suspect these problems are related, perhaps something to do with the default drivers, but I haven't considered them serious enough to spend time resolving them. However, if there is an obvious solution to anyone reading I would be very interested......
    >>

    > Nothing to do with drivers, its just one of those incompatiability
    > things. There may be a newer bios for the video card to solve this, I
    > have seen no bios display on certain monitors listed in the fixes many
    > times.
    >
    > And widescreen these days seems to mean a reduction in vertical
    > resolution rather then an increse in horizontal. I had a lappy with
    > 1600x1200 on it. Good luck finding anything like that in a wideie.

    Try a Dell 2407 Wide screen 1920x1200
    ChrisOD, Mar 20, 2007
  6. Mathew Good

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-03-20, noddy <> wrote:
    > An old monitor has finally given up the ghost and I am going to get an
    > lcd flat panel monitor - I have to decide whether or not to get a
    > widescreen one - are there any implications regarding compatibility
    > with a four year old computer
    > I would be grateful for any advice

    There shoudn't be any problems with any hardware made in the last 10 years,
    software may be an issue.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Mar 20, 2007
  7. Mathew Good

    Allistar Guest

    noddy wrote:

    > An old monitor has finally given up the ghost and I am going to get an
    > lcd flat panel monitor - I have to decide whether or not to get a
    > widescreen one - are there any implications regarding compatibility
    > with a four year old computer
    > I would be grateful for any advice
    > TIA

    Make sure your video card will support the resolution of the monitor. A 20"
    widescreen is typically 1680x1050. I have a widescreen 20" and two normal
    17" LCD's in a triple head setup, driven by 2 nVidia cards with absolutely
    no issues. X.org recognises and uses all 3 screens as one display.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Mar 20, 2007
  8. Mathew Good

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    noddy wrote:
    > An old monitor has finally given up the ghost and I am going to get an
    > lcd flat panel monitor - I have to decide whether or not to get a
    > widescreen one - are there any implications regarding compatibility
    > with a four year old computer
    > I would be grateful for any advice
    > TIA

    Drawbacks:

    a) It will become painful to use a lesser monitor once you get used to it
    b) There aren't as many desktop backgrounds available :p
    Nik Coughlin, Mar 20, 2007
  9. Mathew Good

    Allistar Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > noddy wrote:
    >> An old monitor has finally given up the ghost and I am going to get an
    >> lcd flat panel monitor - I have to decide whether or not to get a
    >> widescreen one - are there any implications regarding compatibility
    >> with a four year old computer
    >> I would be grateful for any advice
    >> TIA

    > Drawbacks:
    >
    > a) It will become painful to use a lesser monitor once you get used to it
    > b) There aren't as many desktop backgrounds available :p

    I recommend subscribing to "digital blasphemy" - they have a lot of awesome
    backgrounds, and even a dual and triple head section.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Mar 20, 2007
  10. Mathew Good

    MarkH Guest

    ChrisOD <> wrote in

    > In article <45ff9b13$>, Richard wrote:

    >> And widescreen these days seems to mean a reduction in vertical
    >> resolution rather then an increse in horizontal. I had a lappy with
    >> 1600x1200 on it. Good luck finding anything like that in a wideie.

    > Try a Dell 2407 Wide screen 1920x1200

    I would highly recommend the 2407, bloody fantastic monitor!

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 23-Nov-06)
    MarkH, Mar 21, 2007
  11. Mathew Good

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > ChrisOD <> wrote in
    >
    >> In article <45ff9b13$>, Richard wrote:

    >>> And widescreen these days seems to mean a reduction in vertical
    >>> resolution rather then an increse in horizontal. I had a lappy with
    >>> 1600x1200 on it. Good luck finding anything like that in a wideie.

    >> Try a Dell 2407 Wide screen 1920x1200

    > I would highly recommend the 2407, bloody fantastic monitor!

    I'll second that, it's great
    Nik Coughlin, Mar 21, 2007
  12. Mathew Good

    Sir to you Guest

    > Try a Dell 2407 Wide screen 1920x1200- Hide quoted text -

    I have the Dell 2405 , and it is the bees knees. The 2405 has even
    been said to have better image quality than the 2407 (although the
    2405 lacks hdcp but who cares by the time it is needed i will have
    upgraded).

    And, I saw the 2407 being sold by dell for a tad over $1000 dollars
    the other day - that is sweet!
    Sir to you, Mar 21, 2007
  13. On Mar 20, 4:39 pm, noddy <> wrote:
    > An old monitor has finally given up the ghost and I am going to get an
    > lcd flat panel monitor - I have to decide whether or not to get a
    > widescreen one - are there any implications regarding compatibility
    > with a four year old computer
    > I would be grateful for any advice
    > TIA

    I have a five or six year old machine running Win 2000 and a
    widescreen monitor

    No software issues, but I did have to upgrade the graphics card, cost
    about $80 IIRC

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz
    Peter Jenkins, Mar 21, 2007
  14. Mathew Good

    noddy Guest

    Thanks everybody
    That has been a great help

    noddy, Mar 21, 2007
  15. Mathew Good

    Kent Smith Guest

    noddy wrote:
    > An old monitor has finally given up the ghost and I am going to get an
    > lcd flat panel monitor - I have to decide whether or not to get a
    > widescreen one - are there any implications regarding compatibility
    > with a four year old computer
    > I would be grateful for any advice
    > TIA

    Your vid card may not support the resolution of the widescreen monitor. You
    should be able to make one by downloading powerstrip but some video cards
    don't support cusom resolutions (e.g The Intel card in my notebook). :(

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Mar 21, 2007
  16. Mathew Good

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > noddy wrote:
    >> An old monitor has finally given up the ghost and I am going to get an
    >> lcd flat panel monitor - I have to decide whether or not to get a
    >> widescreen one - are there any implications regarding compatibility
    >> with a four year old computer
    >> I would be grateful for any advice
    >> TIA

    > Drawbacks:
    >
    > a) It will become painful to use a lesser monitor once you get used to it
    > b) There aren't as many desktop backgrounds available :p

    Make your own or I can sell you some :p

    Robert Cooze, Mar 21, 2007
  17. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    by the name of Nik Coughlin exclaimed:
    > I'll second that, it's great

    Hell yeah. It's huge and can even do full hi-def if you
    want 1920 x 1200. And even has the inputs to accept
    component etc.

    It did do a weird thing to me the other day - all the
    buttons stopped working, even power off. Seems to have
    come right again for now.

    Warning: dell's support is truly abysmal though. They
    treat monitors like the unwanted stepchildren because
    they are not part of systems and therefore don't have
    service numbers. After several hours I could not find
    any way to report a problem through their website,
    unless signing up for their forums and sending personal
    message to one of the Dell staff might work.

    Did not try the phone number ...

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Mar 29, 2007
  18. Mathew Good

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:39:43 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    <> wrote:

    >On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    >by the name of Nik Coughlin exclaimed:
    >> I'll second that, it's great

    >Hell yeah. It's huge and can even do full hi-def if you
    >want 1920 x 1200. And even has the inputs to accept
    >component etc.
    >
    >It did do a weird thing to me the other day - all the
    >buttons stopped working, even power off. Seems to have
    >come right again for now.
    >
    >Warning: dell's support is truly abysmal though. They
    >treat monitors like the unwanted stepchildren because
    >they are not part of systems and therefore don't have
    >service numbers. After several hours I could not find
    >any way to report a problem through their website,
    >unless signing up for their forums and sending personal
    >message to one of the Dell staff might work.

    There are alternatives to the Dell 2407: Samsung 244T (which the Dell
    is based on), Acer AL2416W (cheapest, only VGA and DVI-D inputs) and
    the BENQ FP241W, all with 1920x1200.
    GraB, Mar 29, 2007