    physical walking further away?

    I am just asking to learn something for myself. Thank you.

    Chuck
    CNT, Oct 13, 2003

  2. CNT

    Robertwgross Guest

    Chuck wrote:
    >With any digital camera with 3x zoom, what is the different between using
    >0.56x Wide Angle lens and walking back further to get the "same" picture?
    >Correct me, they both are the same, only that if walking back further was
    >not possible, then using the wide angle lens is there for that reason?
    >
    >Also, would using the wide angle lens make the image more clear than
    >physical walking further away?
    >
    >I am just asking to learn something for myself. Thank you.

    If you walk back and shoot without any wide adapter, then you will get
    approximately the same image as if you walk forward and use the adapter. There
    are some subtle differences, however. If you walk back to shoot, you are going
    to get a slightly different foreground probably appearing at the bottom. That
    may or may not be desireable. There is a tendency for wider adapters to give
    you more distortion around the edges of the frame. It may depend a little on
    the type of camera, etc.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, Oct 13, 2003

  3. CNT

    Jim Townsend Guest

    CNT wrote:

    > With any digital camera with 3x zoom, what is the different between using
    > 0.56x Wide Angle lens and walking back further to get the "same" picture?
    > Correct me, they both are the same, only that if walking back further was
    > not possible, then using the wide angle lens is there for that reason?

    Generally a wide angle lens is required when you *can't* walk far enough away
    to get your whole subject in view. If you're taking a shot of a city skyline,
    it may require a fair trip in a car to get far enough away. If the skyline
    veiw is best at the vantage point you're at, you're stuck without a wide angle
    lens

    > Also, would using the wide angle lens make the image more clear than
    > physical walking further away?

    If the quality of the lens is the same, there should be no difference. You
    might lose a bit of light through the extra glass you've added.

    One drawback is that wide angle lenses tend to magnify perspective distortion.
    (Where all lines want to converge at a common point in the distance). Tall
    buildings start looking like they're leaning when you use a wide angle lens.
    Jim Townsend, Oct 13, 2003
  4. CNT

    mcgyverjones Guest

    "CNT" <> wrote in message news:3f89f723$...
    > With any digital camera with 3x zoom, what is the different between using
    > 0.56x Wide Angle lens and walking back further to get the "same" picture?
    > Correct me, they both are the same, only that if walking back further was
    > not possible, then using the wide angle lens is there for that reason?
    >
    > Also, would using the wide angle lens make the image more clear than
    > physical walking further away?
    >
    > I am just asking to learn something for myself. Thank you.

    The difference is in the relationship between objects nearer and further
    from the camera.
    The distance from the camera to scene is actually more critical to the
    perspective of the image in that a cropped down wide angle photo will give
    the same image (at lower resolution of course) as a telephoto from the same
    position.
    Of course if you simply want to "fit" a given scene into the frame and you
    do not have a lens wide enough then by all means move further back if you
    have room. But it will not be the same image.

    MJ
    mcgyverjones, Oct 13, 2003
  5. CNT

    fruitbat Guest

    "CNT" <> wrote:
    > With any digital camera with 3x zoom, what is the different between using
    > 0.56x Wide Angle lens and walking back further to get the "same" picture?
    > Correct me, they both are the same, only that if walking back further was
    > not possible, then using the wide angle lens is there for that reason?

    Have a look at the following:
    http://www.photozone.de/3Technology/demos/focalCompress.htm

    It has a small JavaScript applet where the photographer (Klaus
    Schroiff?) framed the foreground subject almost exactly the same with
    4 different focal lengths (17mm to 100mm). You can see the dramatic
    differences in perspective if you flip between them... The different
    angle of view is what makes the perspective different. The same should
    happen with a wide-angle adapter.

    Jeff
    fruitbat, Oct 13, 2003
  6. CNT

    CNT Guest

    CNT, Oct 13, 2003
  7. CNT

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Moving back and forth changes perspective. Perspective is ONLY a
    function of distance from subject, not lens focal length. However, of
    course, a wide angle lens allows you to get closer to an object and
    still keep it within frame. The weird perspective of wide angle is
    because you normally are so close to subject.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Oct 13, 2003
  8. CNT

    CNT Guest

    Understood. Thanks. I would probably prefer to do parmana (I can't even
    spell that word!), meaning wide-wise long picture, like three 4x6. However,
    I think I will like to try it out to see how I like it.

    At the same time, the link below would be something I would like to have:

    http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_main/ckc-cvs8.html

    Chuck

    CNT, Oct 13, 2003
  9. CNT

    Robertwgross Guest

    CNT wrote:
    >Understood. Thanks. I would probably prefer to do parmana (I can't even
    >spell that word!), meaning wide-wise long picture, like three 4x6. However,
    >I think I will like to try it out to see how I like it.

    If you do try to shoot a panorama, try it this way. Place your camera on a
    stable tripod, but have it in the portrait (vertical) format. Use a spirit
    level on the tripod and on the camera to get it absolutely level. Get an
    exposure reading from the center, and then switch to manual exposure with that
    reading. Shoot frames left to right in order. Stitch the digital images
    together using good stitching software.

    I've had good luck with it this way.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, Oct 13, 2003