Wide angle shooting with Oly E-10

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gene Palmiter, Jul 8, 2004.

  1. A local fellow has a house full of local historical memorabilia. He wants me
    to give him a photograph of each wall. Using the standard lens on the Oly
    E-10 I cannot get the whole wall in...in many cases. Here are the questions
    for the BRAIN TRUST...

    Should I get the extension lens for the E-10. $100 on eBay. Might find other
    uses for it...but the E-10 is at the end of it's life...should I spend more
    money on it?

    Panoramic mirrored cone that takes in the whole room in a shot. What are
    these called? Where are they found? What software will it require? (what are
    other pan options?)

    Multiple shots ....too much work....but might have to.

    Quality is not high on the list....this is mostly for insurance records. He
    would like a notebook with just a few shots per room.

    Any thoughts on this one?

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Gene Palmiter

    Arthur Small Guest

    Get the WA lens. The E 10 has a lot of life left in it. You cant afford the
    panoramic mirrored cone.

    Arthur Small, Jul 9, 2004

  3. Gene Palmiter wrote:
    > A local fellow has a house full of local historical memorabilia. He wants me
    > to give him a photograph of each wall. Using the standard lens on the Oly
    > E-10 I cannot get the whole wall in...in many cases. Here are the questions
    > for the BRAIN TRUST...
    >
    > Should I get the extension lens for the E-10. $100 on eBay. Might find other
    > uses for it...but the E-10 is at the end of it's life...should I spend more
    > money on it?
    >
    > Panoramic mirrored cone that takes in the whole room in a shot. What are
    > these called? Where are they found? What software will it require? (what are
    > other pan options?)
    >
    > Multiple shots ....too much work....but might have to.
    >
    > Quality is not high on the list....this is mostly for insurance records. He
    > would like a notebook with just a few shots per room.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this one?

    If it's just for insurance purposes, no sense spending a lot or going to
    a lot of work stitching photos together. Just take a couple pix per wall.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Jul 9, 2004
  4. Well...It will cost me at most $150 for the lens option....and $250 for the
    cone option. Not that big of a difference to me as I will price the product
    to cover it. It then comes down to whether the customer wants to spend the
    extra....and since the collection is priceless and I previously photographed
    a stamp (pre-postal) from the collection that he spent $5k on....I don't
    think it will matter to him either.

    I will use the lens more for other jobs....so that is important...the cone
    will be used a few times more...but I don't do web work anymore and 4mp
    spread 360 degrees is not very high res for printing. But, if I do manage to
    buy a new camera then the cone can be used with it....but the cone is
    plastic and may not last that long.

    I am leaning with you toward the lens.

    Gene Palmiter, Jul 9, 2004
  5. "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    []
    > Should I get the extension lens for the E-10. $100 on eBay. Might find

    other
    > uses for it...but the E-10 is at the end of it's life...should I spend

    more
    > money on it?

    []
    > Gene Palmiter

    Take multiple shots per wall and use Pano Tools (free) to stitch the
    images together. It's easier with one of the front-ends like PTGui (low
    cost). There is a learning curve, but "you may never need a very
    wide-angle lens again" (if it was being advertised on TV <G>).

    As Gary said, though, just as record shots it may not be worth the effort.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 9, 2004