Wide-angle primes in Canon's EF-S line?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kevin, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    I am toying with getting a Canon 20D as my first SLR.
    Unfortunately, it would put quite a strain on my budget.
    Probably the only way I could afford it would be to start out
    with the cheapest lens possible and then add some others later.
    The consensus seems to be that you can get pretty good
    quality even from an inexpensive lens _if_ you go with a prime
    lens rather than a zoom. What I would like is a moderate
    wide-angle prime lens, say with a true focal length of 15mm,
    which on the 20D would give a field of view equivalent to about
    a 23-mm lens on a full-frame camera. Are any lenses like
    _that_ available at reasonable price and quality? They don't
    seem to exist yet in Canon's EF-S line. Does it seem likely
    Canon will add them soon?
    I am also considering buying a used 10D now that they will
    hopefully be available more cheaply. But the advantage of
    the 20D is that it accepts EF-S lenses, which seems to make it
    far preferable at the wide-angle end.

    Kevin
    Kevin, Aug 20, 2004

  2. In article <cg5k7n$ph3$>, ktn3654
    @linux3.ph.utexas.edu says...
    > I am toying with getting a Canon 20D as my first SLR.
    > Unfortunately, it would put quite a strain on my budget.
    > Probably the only way I could afford it would be to start out
    > with the cheapest lens possible and then add some others later.
    > The consensus seems to be that you can get pretty good
    > quality even from an inexpensive lens _if_ you go with a prime
    > lens rather than a zoom. What I would like is a moderate
    > wide-angle prime lens, say with a true focal length of 15mm,
    > which on the 20D would give a field of view equivalent to about
    > a 23-mm lens on a full-frame camera. Are any lenses like
    > _that_ available at reasonable price and quality? They don't
    > seem to exist yet in Canon's EF-S line. Does it seem likely
    > Canon will add them soon?
    > I am also considering buying a used 10D now that they will
    > hopefully be available more cheaply. But the advantage of
    > the 20D is that it accepts EF-S lenses, which seems to make it
    > far preferable at the wide-angle end.

    Hard to say what Canon will do with EF-S, zooms are very popular in the
    market they are trying to cover so it's natural they will appear first.
    A wide-angle prime for not a lot of cash would be nice and certainly
    make the choice to upgrade easier for me.

    Since no EF-S lenses like that are announced now, I'd guess you'll have
    to wait at least another 6-18 months before any other lenses in that
    mount will be introduced. In the meantime, you might want to look at
    the 14mm rectilinear lenses sold by Tamron and Sigma. Not as nice as
    the Canon equivalent, but it gets you FOV relatively cheap.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian C. Baird, Aug 20, 2004

  3. Kevin

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <cg5k7n$ph3$>,
    Kevin <> wrote:
    > The consensus seems to be that you can get pretty good
    >quality even from an inexpensive lens _if_ you go with a prime
    >lens rather than a zoom. What I would like is a moderate
    >wide-angle prime lens, say with a true focal length of 15mm,
    >which on the 20D would give a field of view equivalent to about
    >a 23-mm lens on a full-frame camera. Are any lenses like
    >_that_ available at reasonable price and quality? They don't
    >seem to exist yet in Canon's EF-S line. Does it seem likely
    >Canon will add them soon?

    Canon do a 15mm EF f/2.8 fisheye, which when "defished" gives a field of view
    similar to a 19mm rectilinear lens on a 35mm camera. It's optically pretty
    decent (far, far better than the 14mm Sigma rectilinear lens that I replaced
    with it), and doesn't cost the Earth.
    Chris Brown, Aug 21, 2004
  4. Kevin

    Skip M Guest

    "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote in message
    > In article <cg5k7n$ph3$>,
    > Kevin <> wrote:
    > > The consensus seems to be that you can get pretty good
    > >quality even from an inexpensive lens _if_ you go with a prime
    > >lens rather than a zoom. What I would like is a moderate
    > >wide-angle prime lens, say with a true focal length of 15mm,
    > >which on the 20D would give a field of view equivalent to about
    > >a 23-mm lens on a full-frame camera. Are any lenses like
    > >_that_ available at reasonable price and quality? They don't
    > >seem to exist yet in Canon's EF-S line. Does it seem likely
    > >Canon will add them soon?

    > Canon do a 15mm EF f/2.8 fisheye, which when "defished" gives a field of

    view
    > similar to a 19mm rectilinear lens on a 35mm camera. It's optically pretty
    > decent (far, far better than the 14mm Sigma rectilinear lens that I

    replaced
    > with it), and doesn't cost the Earth.

    There is, or at least was, a 14mm f2.8 WA in the "L" line of lenses. Gives
    the equivalent of 22mm on the 10D. Kind of expensive, but most "L" lenses
    are...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com