    Spacey Spade Guest

    Why do some wide angle lens get sold with a macro lens screwed on to
    the back?

    Spacey Spade, Jan 22, 2007

  2. "Spacey Spade" <> writes:
    > Why do some wide angle lens get sold with a macro lens screwed on to
    > the back?

    They don't.

    I assume you are talking about the "Titanium" (et al) wide angle
    attachements flogged at eBay for $19.95 and upwards?

    I guess that whoever manufactures this junk at one point discovered
    that the rear element could do double duty as a dioptre adjustment
    close up lens, so they labeled it "macro" and made it detachable.

    It has nothing to do with is normally called a "macro" lens, and
    whether the whole shebang can be called a "wide angle" is debatable.
    Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

    Gisle Hannemyr, Jan 22, 2007

  3. Spacey Spade

    Guest

    Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
    > "Spacey Spade" <> writes:
    > > Why do some wide angle lens get sold with a macro lens screwed on to
    > > the back?

    > It has nothing to do with is normally called a "macro" lens, and
    > whether the whole shebang can be called a "wide angle" is debatable.

    The Cokin 0.5x also has a "macro" attached:
    http://www.camerahacker.com/Cokin/Cokin_0.5x_Wide-Angle_Lens.html

    Chieh

    , Jan 23, 2007
  4. Spacey Spade

    Guest

    wrote:
    > Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
    > > "Spacey Spade" <> writes:
    > > > Why do some wide angle lens get sold with a macro lens screwed on to
    > > > the back?

    > > It has nothing to do with is normally called a "macro" lens, and
    > > whether the whole shebang can be called a "wide angle" is debatable.

    > The Cokin 0.5x also has a "macro" attached:
    > http://www.camerahacker.com/Cokin/Cokin_0.5x_Wide-Angle_Lens.html

    Forgot to mention that the wide-angle lens element, by itself, is not
    afocal. Used by itself on your camera lens, you will get blurry images.
    The concave close-up lens element, combined with the wide-angle lens
    element, make the entire lens afocal for attachment to your camera. I
    suppose as a bonus, the manufacturer decided to make the close-up lens
    detachable, so you can use it like a macro lens.

    Chieh

    , Jan 23, 2007
  5. Spacey Spade

    Spacey Spade Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
    > > >
    > > > It has nothing to do with is normally called a "macro" lens, and
    > > > whether the whole shebang can be called a "wide angle" is debatable.

    > > The Cokin 0.5x also has a "macro" attached:
    > > http://www.camerahacker.com/Cokin/Cokin_0.5x_Wide-Angle_Lens.html

    > Forgot to mention that the wide-angle lens element, by itself, is not
    > afocal. Used by itself on your camera lens, you will get blurry images.
    > The concave close-up lens element, combined with the wide-angle lens
    > element, make the entire lens afocal for attachment to your camera. I
    > suppose as a bonus, the manufacturer decided to make the close-up lens
    > detachable, so you can use it like a macro lens.
    >
    > Chieh

    Thanks. I'm saved from taking a class in optics and can get back to
    computer software pursuits that have no long term value. You are a
    darling.

    Spacey Spade, Jan 23, 2007