    a thing exists). Thank you all in advance.

    Best regards,

    Alan D.

    Alander, Jul 11, 2006

  2. Alander

    Paul Burdett Guest

    Hi Alan,
    The Canon 24mm f2.8 prime is a good lens and has a 58mm filter size. Check
    out
    http://www.canon.com.au/products/cameras_lenses_accessories/standard_lenses.html
    for other lenses. However, I have the canon 10-22 lens and can highly
    recommend it! On your 300D it is wide (16-35mm equivalent on a 35mm
    full-frame camera), and thus is wider than the popular 17-40 f4.
    Paul

    Paul Burdett, Jul 11, 2006

  3. Alander

    tomm42 Guest

    Alander wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    > I've been looking around for a wide angle lens (either prime or a zoom)
    > for my Canon 300D to replace the kit lens which I use most of the time
    > at the wide end (so at the 17mm). The problem with this lens is the
    > rotating front element... It's really annoying when I use a polarizer
    > or a ND-grad (circular). Therefore I'm looking for anything (Tamron,
    > Tokina, Sigma, Canon) with a decent quality (i.e. not worse than the
    > kit lens) that would hopefully take the filters that I use (I have a
    > nice set of 58mm filters for the kit lens and the 28-105 and 100-300 EF
    > USM zooms). I would greatly appreciate any recommendations or
    > information on any lens / zoom around 17mm with 58mm diameter (if such
    > a thing exists). Thank you all in advance.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Alan D.

    Tokina makes a prime 17mm f3.5, a very nice lens but not 58mm (72 or
    77mm, 2 versions). Maybe worth getting this lens $350 the last new
    price I had or $2-300 used. Then pick up a 72/77mm filter.
    This lens has a strange design where they probably could have made it
    with a smaller barrel. It is a full frame lens and the smaller barrel
    would have induced filter cut off, and they were safe with the big
    filters.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jul 11, 2006
  4. Alander

    bugbear Guest

    Alander wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    > I've been looking around for a wide angle lens (either prime or a zoom)
    > for my Canon 300D to replace the kit lens which I use most of the time
    > at the wide end (so at the 17mm). The problem with this lens is the
    > rotating front element... It's really annoying when I use a polarizer
    > or a ND-grad (circular).

    With digi, you can just put the filter effects on retrospectively.

    This also allows you to try many filters, different grads,
    on a single source image.

    And saves the cost of a new lens.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Jul 12, 2006
  5. Alander

    J. Clarke Guest

    bugbear wrote:

    > Alander wrote:
    >> Hello everyone,
    >> I've been looking around for a wide angle lens (either prime or a zoom)
    >> for my Canon 300D to replace the kit lens which I use most of the time
    >> at the wide end (so at the 17mm). The problem with this lens is the
    >> rotating front element... It's really annoying when I use a polarizer
    >> or a ND-grad (circular).

    > With digi, you can just put the filter effects on retrospectively.
    >
    > This also allows you to try many filters, different grads,
    > on a single source image.
    >
    > And saves the cost of a new lens.

    Uh huh. Sure. Photoshop does not replace a polarizer or a neutral density
    filter.

    If you think it does then you don't understand what either of them does.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Jul 12, 2006
  6. Alander

    Jimbo Guest

    Alander wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    > I've been looking around for a wide angle lens (either prime or a zoom)
    > for my Canon 300D to replace the kit lens which I use most of the time
    > at the wide end (so at the 17mm). The problem with this lens is the
    > rotating front element... It's really annoying when I use a polarizer
    > or a ND-grad (circular). Therefore I'm looking for anything (Tamron,
    > Tokina, Sigma, Canon) with a decent quality (i.e. not worse than the
    > kit lens) that would hopefully take the filters that I use (I have a
    > nice set of 58mm filters for the kit lens and the 28-105 and 100-300 EF
    > USM zooms). I would greatly appreciate any recommendations or
    > information on any lens / zoom around 17mm with 58mm diameter (if such
    > a thing exists). Thank you all in advance.

    All I do all my shopping online here:

    http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/CookiesInstructions.aspx

    And I always buy used - way cheaper - thay have new and used and the
    used is in greta to poor condition with the prices marked accordingly -
    they're not in the business to screw customers over - I ordered a
    camera backpack once - was way too small - they paid for the retun
    shipping. They are in Atlanta GA I think.

    Jim

    Jimbo, Jul 12, 2006
  7. Alander

    AaronW Guest

    Alander wrote:
    > I've been looking around for a wide angle lens (either prime or a zoom)
    > for my Canon 300D to replace the kit lens which I use most of the time
    > at the wide end (so at the 17mm). The problem with this lens is the
    > rotating front element... It's really annoying when I use a polarizer
    > or a ND-grad (circular). Therefore I'm looking for anything (Tamron,
    > Tokina, Sigma, Canon) with a decent quality

    Canon 20/2.8
    Canon 20-35/3.5-4.5

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

    AaronW, Jul 13, 2006