    Opteka for $30; don't know if there are others. Has anyone tried these
    attachments with a built-in zoom?
    , Mar 17, 2006

  2. wrote:
    >I have a Finepix 5200 and was going to live with its range of focal
    > lengths. (Beyond those limits I figured I should get more ambitious
    > gear.) But I'm thinking of adding a wide-angle attachment because the
    > widest view I get just won't be enough for a decent interior shot,
    > such as an interesting building. Fuji sells one for $130 and there's
    > an Opteka for $30; don't know if there are others. Has anyone tried
    > these attachments with a built-in zoom?

    They will not improve the quality, but how much is a matter of what the
    beholder expects. You are likely to find that most of the people here will
    not like the idea as we would be put off by the reduction in quality, but Mr
    average photographer taking pictures of his kids is far less likely to
    notice.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Mar 17, 2006

  3. ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 01:00:03 GMT, Joseph Meehan wrote:

    >> I have a Finepix 5200 and was going to live with its range of focal
    >> lengths. (Beyond those limits I figured I should get more ambitious
    >> gear.) But I'm thinking of adding a wide-angle attachment because the
    >> widest view I get just won't be enough for a decent interior shot,
    >> such as an interesting building. Fuji sells one for $130 and there's
    >> an Opteka for $30; don't know if there are others. Has anyone tried
    >> these attachments with a built-in zoom?

    > They will not improve the quality, but how much is a matter of what
    > the beholder expects. You are likely to find that most of the people
    > here will not like the idea as we would be put off by the reduction in
    > quality, but Mr average photographer taking pictures of his kids is far
    > less likely to notice.

    I have the Fuji WL-FX9B for my S5100, and it should be the same
    adapter used by the S5200. The S5100 came with the required adapter
    tube, but due to a change in the lens design, I don't know if the
    S5200 needs one or not. I'd have to say that the results using it
    have exceeded my expectations, but I haven't done any testing to
    measure exactly how much of a reduction in quality they introduce.
    What I did notice is that (as I knew before hand) when I used it
    with flash, the adapter sometimes got in the way and darkened part
    of bottom center of some images. Reflections from the black adapter
    also imparted a slight orange tint to people's faces. In this case
    this unexpected tint enhanced a few of the photos, as they were of
    people wearing goofy or ghoulish Halloween costumes & makeup.

    From what I've read, lens adapters made by Raynox and Kenko (at
    least the ones they call "high resolution", which are comparable in
    price) should be of similar quality to Fuji's own adapters. But the
    cheaper models probably cause easily noticed degradation.
    ASAAR, Mar 17, 2006
  4. Charles Guest

    On 16 Mar 2006 16:06:50 -0800, wrote:

    >I have a Finepix 5200 and was going to live with its range of focal
    >lengths. (Beyond those limits I figured I should get more ambitious
    >gear.) But I'm thinking of adding a wide-angle attachment because the
    >widest view I get just won't be enough for a decent interior shot, such
    >as an interesting building. Fuji sells one for $130 and there's an
    >Opteka for $30; don't know if there are others. Has anyone tried these
    >attachments with a built-in zoom?

    I used the ones made by Nikon on my 990, they worked okay. I tried
    some that were made for video cameras, they were quite bad.
    Charles, Mar 17, 2006
  5. m Ransley Guest

    Your best bet is the manufacturers own unit, I have a cheap 35$ one
    that is basicly junk on my sony. The Fuji will be optimised for your
    camera. Be sure you are able to return it if you are not happy.
    m Ransley, Mar 17, 2006
  6. Kent Clarke Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I have a Finepix 5200 and was going to live with its range of focal
    > lengths. (Beyond those limits I figured I should get more ambitious
    > gear.) But I'm thinking of adding a wide-angle attachment because the
    > widest view I get just won't be enough for a decent interior shot, such
    > as an interesting building. Fuji sells one for $130 and there's an
    > Opteka for $30; don't know if there are others. Has anyone tried these
    > attachments with a built-in zoom?

    I'm not familiar with the Fuji, but some Panasonic users have found that
    there can be problems in getting a good match between add-on lenses and
    different camera models. Sometimes you get soft corners, vignetting,
    out-of-focus spots in the middle(!), or chromatic aberration,
    particularly with the cheaper add-ons. If you can try them, or see shots
    from others who have, then you might luck in. Otherwise, going with
    Fuji's recommendation is probably the safest. You may be able to get the
    Fuji lens cheaper on Ebay. Maybe check Fuji user forums on the camera
    review sites for advice.
    I got an Olympus WCON.8 for my Panasonic FX30, and it doesn't introduce
    any noticeable degradation. It sure does help with indoor shots, though.
    28mm equivalent beats the heck out of 35mm indoors.
    Kent Clarke, Mar 17, 2006
  7. SMS Guest

    Kent Clarke wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Finepix 5200 and was going to live with its range of focal
    >> lengths. (Beyond those limits I figured I should get more ambitious
    >> gear.) But I'm thinking of adding a wide-angle attachment because the
    >> widest view I get just won't be enough for a decent interior shot, such
    >> as an interesting building. Fuji sells one for $130 and there's an
    >> Opteka for $30; don't know if there are others. Has anyone tried these
    >> attachments with a built-in zoom?

    > I'm not familiar with the Fuji, but some Panasonic users have found that
    > there can be problems in getting a good match between add-on lenses and
    > different camera models. Sometimes you get soft corners, vignetting,
    > out-of-focus spots in the middle(!), or chromatic aberration,
    > particularly with the cheaper add-ons. If you can try them, or see shots
    > from others who have, then you might luck in. Otherwise, going with
    > Fuji's recommendation is probably the safest. You may be able to get the
    > Fuji lens cheaper on Ebay. Maybe check Fuji user forums on the camera
    > review sites for advice.
    > I got an Olympus WCON.8 for my Panasonic FX30, and it doesn't introduce
    > any noticeable degradation. It sure does help with indoor shots, though.
    > 28mm equivalent beats the heck out of 35mm indoors.

    I have an Olympus A-28 for my old Canon G2, which is supposed to be
    better than Canon's own wide angle adapter.

    I saw some comparisons of wide angle adapters for Canon, over at
    "http://lensmateonline.com/newsite/A620A610wide.html" but I don't know
    how well the differences can be extrapolated to other cameras.

    You might look at the HD-6600PRO 55mm from Raynox.
    SMS, Mar 17, 2006
  8. tomm42 Guest

    Get the one designed for the lens. You will always take a hit on
    resolution adding something to the lens. By buying the one that has
    been tested (we hope) by the camera manufacturer you lesses tha effect.

    Tom
    tomm42, Mar 17, 2006
  9. GregS Guest

    In article <nSnSf.26714$>, "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >>I have a Finepix 5200 and was going to live with its range of focal
    >> lengths. (Beyond those limits I figured I should get more ambitious
    >> gear.) But I'm thinking of adding a wide-angle attachment because the
    >> widest view I get just won't be enough for a decent interior shot,
    >> such as an interesting building. Fuji sells one for $130 and there's
    >> an Opteka for $30; don't know if there are others. Has anyone tried
    >> these attachments with a built-in zoom?

    > They will not improve the quality, but how much is a matter of what the
    >beholder expects. You are likely to find that most of the people here will
    >not like the idea as we would be put off by the reduction in quality, but Mr
    >average photographer taking pictures of his kids is far less likely to
    >notice.

    Hey, they used to say zooms were worse than fixed lenses, but
    it a matter of getting the shot or not.

    I have experiance with my Canon A20 and Canon adaptor. I just
    have to use it at times. I think its 24 mm equivalant. Anything
    about 28 mm is not sufficient for me. Rounding at the edges, yes.
    I used to play with an 18 mm fish eye. Trouble with flash, certainly.
    I get around this by making a reflector for interior room shots.
    A piece of tape and aluminum foil. Aimed at the ceiling.
    I used to have a slave strobe, but I would like to get two new slaves for this kind of thing,
    and anthing else requiring more fill in light. I only use flash if
    absolutely necessary. I like ambient light shots.

    greg
    GregS, Mar 17, 2006
  10. John Wilson Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:39:51 GMT, (GregS) wrote:

    >In article <nSnSf.26714$>, "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>>I have a Finepix 5200 and was going to live with its range of focal
    >>> lengths. (Beyond those limits I figured I should get more ambitious
    >>> gear.) But I'm thinking of adding a wide-angle attachment because the
    >>> widest view I get just won't be enough for a decent interior shot,
    >>> such as an interesting building. Fuji sells one for $130 and there's
    >>> an Opteka for $30; don't know if there are others. Has anyone tried
    >>> these attachments with a built-in zoom?

    I have used a Canon 0.75x WA adaptor with a Canon A80, image quality
    pretty good, though some barrel distortion. I also used several
    different cheaper but wider ( 0.43 to 0.5x ) attachment lenses,
    quality mostly fairly poor, but adequate for website images, also much
    more barrel distortion and a lot of softness and chromatic abberration
    at the corners (but you can take out the barreling and a lot of the
    chroma fringing with Photoshop or paint Shop Pro). The best by far of
    the non-official-branded attachments was a Lenz-Art Russian one - I
    sold it on Ebay yesterday. Second best was a Hyundai one.

    I then bounced the Canon and replaced it with a Nikon 8400. I have
    the Nikon 0.75 WA adapter, and the quality is excellent, though again
    some barrel distortion. On a 8400 with the .75 WA you get about
    equivalent to 18mm on a full-frame camera, which is pretty wide.

    John Wilson
    jwilsonNO*
    Remove characters from e-mail address to reply
    www.yachtsnet.co.uk - full service online yacht
    brokerage with full details and multiple photos
    of all boats. Free classified adverts for small
    boats and genuinely useful marine links.
    John Wilson, Mar 17, 2006