WIC-4ESW Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Boris, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. Boris

    Boris Guest

    Boris, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Boris

    JC Guest

    no, per the following.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...on_guide_chapter09186a008007cb78.html#1029307

    JC

    --

    "Boris" <boris71schneider@web DOT de> wrote in message
    news:3ffde3b4$...
    > hi
    > Does someone know if it is possible to use the WIC (see below) with a

    cisco

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a00801c749d.html

    > In their doc they show the 1760 modell, so I was wondering if you could

    use

    JC, Jan 9, 2004

  3. Boris

    Jasko Guest

    U¿ytkownik "JC" <> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
    > no, per the following.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...on_guide_chapter09186a008007cb78.html#1029307

    > JC
    >
    > --
    >
    > "Boris" <boris71schneider@web DOT de> wrote in message
    > > hi
    > > Does someone know if it is possible to use the WIC (see below) with a

    > cisco
    > > "1721" router:
    > > WIC-4ESW Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card
    > > see:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a00801c749d.html

    > > In their doc they show the 1760 modell, so I was wondering if you could

    > use
    > > it on 1721.
    > > Could someone tell me that plz?
    > > If it is possible what are the ios requirements?
    > >
    > > Many many thx

    ????????????

    Maybe I didn't get it, but under that link you can read that:

    The following platforms are supported:

    a.. Cisco 1721 router
    b.. Cisco 1751 router
    c.. Cisco 1760 router
    If you are intrested in cheap solution you can look at cisco 1711 and 1712,
    maybe this will suit you.

    Best Regards
    Jasko

    Jasko, Jan 9, 2004
  4. Yes.

    The Cisco WIC-4ESW is supported on Cisco 1721, Cisco 1751, Cisco 1751-V, and
    Cisco 1760 routers.

    Regards,

    Scott.
    \|/
    (o o)
    ---------------------oOOO--(_)--OOOo----------------------
    Out the 100Base-T, off the firewall, through the router, down
    the T1, over the leased line, off the bridge, nothing but Net.
    (Use ROT13 to see my email address)
    .oooO Oooo.
    ----------------------( )---( )-----------------------
    \ ( ) /
    \_) (_/

    scott enwright, Jan 9, 2004
  5. Boris

    JC Guest

    oops, your right. Sorry about that.

    However, performance will be dismal at best on the 1721. Smartbits testing
    has show me that 1721 won't pass any more than 2 T1's worth of bandwidth so
    expecting any type of performance on this switch card in the router is
    wishful thinking.

    JC

    JC, Jan 10, 2004
  6. Re: Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card

    JC,

    The Layer 2 switch performance of the WIC-4ESW isn't limited to 2 x T1
    performance, it can handle full FastEthernet wire rates between WIC-4ESW
    ports. But the Layer 3 performance is limited to 10Mbps because the 1721
    CPU is attached at 10Mbps - so in theory 2 100Mbps on different VLAN ports
    on thw WIC-4ESW could communiate at roughly 10Mb using the 1721 to route
    between VLANs.

    Information sourced from CCO @
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/prod_release_note09186a00801c46b3.html#265374

    Regards,

    Scott.
    \|/

    scott enwright, Jan 11, 2004
  7. Boris

    mgo Guest

    "Boris" <boris71schneider@web DOT de> wrote in message news:<3ffde3b4$>...
    > hi
    > Does someone know if it is possible to use the WIC (see below) with a cisco
    > "1721" router:
    > WIC-4ESW Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card
    > see:
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a00801c749d.html
    >
    > In their doc they show the 1760 modell, so I was wondering if you could use
    > it on 1721.
    > Could someone tell me that plz?
    > If it is possible what are the ios requirements?
    >
    > Many many thx

    Yes. I have one. The 1721 will only utilize 1 4ESW.

    mgo, Jan 11, 2004
  8. Boris

    JC Guest

    Re: Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card

    I guess if you want to use a 1721 with a $300 WIC as an ethernet switch
    that's OK but I can do the same thing by connecting a $20 ethernet switch to
    the ethernet port of the router. So the assumption would be to use the 1721
    at layer 3 to get the most bang for your buck. Also the documentation
    states clearly that Routed Inter-vlan traffic is limited to 10 Full duplex
    however there is no mention of line rate being achieved with that option. I
    still stand by my lab figures that show me the router will never achieve
    anything above 3Mb throughput using a smartbits and IMIX.

    I did get about 5.75Mb throughput with 1500byte packets on the 10Mb WIC card
    but then how many networks do you know of that only have 1500 bytes packets
    only.

    JC

    JC, Jan 11, 2004
  9. Re: Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card

    True - It might be useful for POS where you get remote troubleshooting and
    single vendor maintenance contracts.

    Regards,

    Scott.
    \|/