WIC-1DSU-T1 and protocol problems

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Adrian, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    Anybody have any suggestions what might be wrong here? I've spent all
    night trying to get a T1 link up between 2 sites using 2600s (via an
    already functioning 4xT1 wireless link).

    I have no problem getting a connection between sides, Carrier Detect is
    on, alarm lights are off, both show line up, but the protocol (PPP) is
    down and refuses to come up. Both send LCP requests and then go into
    listen mode, but neither seems to ever "hear" the other. Connected back
    to back (on the bench) they synch and protocol comes up immediately.
    Switching ports on the wireless system makes no difference.

    This ought to be a grossly simple connection, no PPP authentication, an
    IP on either end, configured exactly the same as an already existing T1
    connection between 2 other 2600s. Nothing more than a:

    int serial0/0
    ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252
    encapsulation ppp
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no ip mroute-cache
    no shutdown

    I have completely wiped both units and configured from scratch twice.
    Any dope-slaps for a tired network admin?

    Adrian

    Adrian, Nov 28, 2003

  2. In article <3fc7a5d8$>,
    Adrian <choprboy@Vagabond> wrote:
    >Anybody have any suggestions what might be wrong here? I've spent all
    >night trying to get a T1 link up between 2 sites using 2600s (via an
    >already functioning 4xT1 wireless link).
    >
    >I have no problem getting a connection between sides, Carrier Detect is
    >on, alarm lights are off, both show line up, but the protocol (PPP) is
    >down and refuses to come up. Both send LCP requests and then go into
    >listen mode, but neither seems to ever "hear" the other. Connected back
    >to back (on the bench) they synch and protocol comes up immediately.
    >Switching ports on the wireless system makes no difference.
    >
    >This ought to be a grossly simple connection, no PPP authentication, an
    >IP on either end, configured exactly the same as an already existing T1
    >connection between 2 other 2600s. Nothing more than a:
    >
    >int serial0/0
    > ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252
    > encapsulation ppp
    > no ip directed-broadcast
    > no ip mroute-cache
    > no shutdown
    >
    >I have completely wiped both units and configured from scratch twice.
    >Any dope-slaps for a tired network admin?

    What IOS ? Could be a bug. For example, on the 3745 the
    WIC-T1 doesn't forward packets in 12.2(15)T5. Now how did
    this get out of Q.A. ?

    alan
    Alan Strassberg, Nov 29, 2003

  3. Adrian

    Scooby Guest

    Do you have one side providing the clock? If this is your setup for both
    sides, then the answer is no. Although it often may run without a clock
    setup, you need to have one side provide for a clean connection. What kind
    of interface is serial0/0? You say 4xT1 wireless, but I'm having trouble
    picturing what equipment is providing a 4xT1 and the connection to the
    router. Can you give us a better idea what your setup is?

    Scooby, Nov 29, 2003
  4. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    Scooby wrote:
    > Do you have one side providing the clock? If this is your setup for both
    > sides, then the answer is no. Although it often may run without a clock
    > setup, you need to have one side provide for a clean connection. What kind
    > of interface is serial0/0? You say 4xT1 wireless, but I'm having trouble
    > picturing what equipment is providing a 4xT1 and the connection to the
    > router. Can you give us a better idea what your setup is?

    I'm running a full T1 out of a WIC-1DSU-T1. Nothing special, setup for
    PPP ecapsulation. I had actually not set the clock option in this setup,
    I believe the wireless unit provides one already. I did have carrier
    detect immediately, so I figured it did have a clock signal aquired. The
    wireless system a Midwest Multiplex "Lynx" 5.8GHz point-to-point system
    spaning about 10 miles. The Lynx models come with 1, 2, 4, or 8 separate
    T1 links, all are DS1-X interfaces, bantum/DB9/RJ45 jacks depending on
    the models. Pretty nice actually, rock-solid, easy to find replacements.
    Already had 1 that took a lightning strike with a Helioss unit, still
    kicking after 5+ or so years (the Helioss died a horrible death).

    I actually was able to fix it last night with a clear head and some more
    thought. It actually had nothing to do with the Cisco itself. Some
    num-nut set all the T1 ports on the wireless (except the 1 currently
    active) to AMI line coding instead of the default B8Z. So it didn't
    matter what port I moved it to (couldn't take down the active port). Had
    to dig out of the manual which DIP switch did what. After changing both
    side the Cisco immediately came up.

    Thanks for the help anyway. (Atleast I had the day guys going in circles
    as well trying to figure it out, so I was completely stupid...)

    Adrian

    Adrian, Nov 29, 2003