Wi-lan listed in availiable detected even with SSID broadcats disabled ??

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Michel S., Jun 5, 2005.

  1. Michel S.

    Michel S. Guest

    Hi !

    After I completed all my wireless connections setup, I set the SSID
    broadcast to "disabled" in my router (D-Link DI-624).

    Despite this, my laptop computer is still able to detect and report it
    in the "display wireless networks" function.. (sorry if it's not the
    exact wording -- I translated the prompt).

    I made sure that both my laptop and my router have been restarted.

    How can this happen ? How can I make sure my connection is hidden to
    my neighbours ??

    I'm running XP-Pro (sp2)

    Thanks !

    Michel S., Jun 5, 2005

  2. Michel S.

    Dave Guest

    disabling ssid as you have seen will not 'hide' the router. any router
    that is passing traffic can be seen by anyone within range. the proper
    method to secure it is wpa or wep encryption. in fact, xp's wzc service
    will give you problems staying connected if you turn off ssid broadcast.

    Dave, Jun 5, 2005

  3. Michel S.

    DanR Guest

    Michel S. wrote:
    > Hi !
    >
    > After I completed all my wireless connections setup, I set the SSID
    > broadcast to "disabled" in my router (D-Link DI-624).
    >
    > Despite this, my laptop computer is still able to detect and report it
    > in the "display wireless networks" function.. (sorry if it's not the
    > exact wording -- I translated the prompt).
    >
    > I made sure that both my laptop and my router have been restarted.
    >
    > How can this happen ? How can I make sure my connection is hidden to
    > my neighbours ??
    >
    > I'm running XP-Pro (sp2)
    >
    > Thanks !

    I'm guessing that you already "told" your laptop the SSID (name) of your access
    point. So it's normal for any computer that "knows" the SSID to see it in the
    available wireless network list.

    DanR, Jun 5, 2005
  4. Michel S.

    Michel S. Guest

    Thanks for your answer..

    Yes, I used WEP to add security to the wireless connection in addition
    to change the SSID, the default channel, the router's default IP
    address and, of course, the admin password !

    But what is then the exact purpose/utility of disabling the SSID
    broadcast if anybody can pick it up anyway ?

    I find this is an invitation to the neighbourgs to exercise their
    hacking skills ! :/

    Michel S., Jun 6, 2005
  5. There is absolutely NO good reason to disable broadcast of the network SSID other than to cause
    connection problems...

    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11468

    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/wifisecurity

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jun 6, 2005
  6. Once a network is added to the preferred list manually the wireless service
    will "look" for it by sending probe requests and report it in the SSID list
    if the access point responds. As suggested here the service is sending a
    specific request and receiving a reply so you see it in the list.

    newsgroup purposes only.

    Jim Seifert [MSFT], Jun 6, 2005
  7. Michel S.

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Michel S." <> wrote in message news:...
    > But what is then the exact purpose/utility of disabling the SSID
    > broadcast if anybody can pick it up anyway ?

    What is the purpose of locking the door of a house, if
    somebody with proper skills and equipment can break in?

    Pavel A., Jun 7, 2005
  8. Michel S.

    Pavel A. Guest

    DanR" <> wrote in message news:3zKoe.90$...

    > I'm guessing that you already "told" your laptop the SSID (name) of your access
    > point. So it's normal for any computer that "knows" the SSID to see it in the
    > available wireless network list.

    Your guessing is correct. The wi-fi driver and the MS software make the associated AP
    appear as visible, though it is actually hidden. This won't happen until you connect to it.
    ..
    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Jun 7, 2005
  9. Michel S.

    oldguy Guest

    Obviously, to keep away the others without the sophisticated skills and
    equipment. :)

    Best regards,
    Engin

    oldguy, Jun 7, 2005
  10. Michel S.

    rupert Guest

    "Pavel A." <> wrote in message
    > "Michel S." <> wrote in message
    >> But what is then the exact purpose/utility of disabling the SSID
    >> broadcast if anybody can pick it up anyway ?

    > What is the purpose of locking the door of a house, if
    > somebody with proper skills and equipment can break in?

    Because most people do not have the proper skills and equipment to break
    into either your network or your home

    rupert, Jun 7, 2005