    When I connect with My Tablet, Signal strength also remains Very Good or Excellent, however the speed varies. When it first connects it transfers at a speed of 54 Mbps, the maximum connection speed of the Tablet, which is fine with me, but sometimes it deteriorates to 2 or sometimes 1 Mbps. Although the signal strength is excellent. Why is this? Why can my desktop be constantly at peak performance, but my tablet deteriorates over time?

    This connection speed problem happens regardless if the tablet is on battery or AC power. So I know it's not the tablet trying to save battery.

    I have an Acer Travelmate C314 Tablet PC running XP Tablet Edition 2005 with all the latest critical, recommended and hardware updates.

    Lawrence A. Wong, Jul 31, 2005

  2. Connection speed and more importantly throughput are extremely dependent
    upon the environment. The access point must share is frequency band all of
    your wireless devices and any interference in the area. The 802.11g
    protocol has specific methods to ensure that all clients participating on a
    network receive an opportunity to send and recieve traffic. As signal
    quality decreases, connection speed correspondingly decreases.
    Additionally, connecting 802.11b devices to an 802.11g capable network will
    degrade performance for all of the participating clients. The 108mbs
    products utilize proprietary technology to obtain (modest) performance
    increases and this usually is at the expense of interoperablity.

    Some equipment manufacturers have placed logic on their access points to
    favor their devices in the wireless environment. I recommend disabling the
    non-standard 108mbs capabilities and switch to a purely 802.11g mode if
    possible. Give it a try and reply back to this thread with the results.

    --
    Jerry Peterson
    Windows Network Services - Wireless

    "Lawrence A. Wong" <> wrote in message
    I just have an question:

    I have a 108 Mbps D-Link Wireless XtremeG Router. I have the matching 108
    Mbps D-Link WLAN card for my desktop computer. My Tablet PC has a 54Mbps
    Wi-Fi antanna built in.

    When I connect to my wireless network at home, my desktop has no issues
    connecting with the wireless network. It constantly connects at 108 Mbps,
    all the time without connection drops or reduction of speed. Signal Strength
    remains constantly between Very Good and Excellent.

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], Aug 1, 2005

  3. I have disabled the Super G mode on my router.

    My desktop continues to connect at a strong 54 Mbps, with an excellent
    signal.

    My tablet, although it keeps up at 54 Mbps for a while, still occasionally
    drops to 1 Mbps dispite the signal stregnth being Excellent. It does seem to
    be a bit more stable than before, but I still have to repair the connection
    every once in a while to get back the 54 Mbps connection.

    Any other suggestions?

    Lawrence A. Wong, Aug 2, 2005
  4. Just a few more ideas on how to narrow the problem down. ;)

    Are the devices an equal range from the access point?

    Will this problem reproduce with just the tablet PC connected and the
    desktop removed from the network?

    Does the tablet only experience this behavior with your access point at
    home? If your workplace allows outside computers, bring it in to work.
    Alternately, try a public access point at a library or coffee shop to check
    for the same problem.

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], Aug 9, 2005
  5. To answer Jerry's Questions:

    Yes, the Tablet and PC are the same distance apart. For the most part, they
    actually sit on the same table.

    No, Performance doesn't change if the desktop is disconnected from the
    network or off

    My tablet has yet to be on a public network. I will note it's performance
    when I connect to my School's Wi-Fi in September.

    Thanks for your help and advice!

    --
    Lawrence A. Wong
    Comp: Acer TravelMate C314XMi