    put a Pringles container near the networking card and it should increase the
    signal.
    What is the answer, she is using a Belkin UK networking card in New York.
    caroline, Dec 31, 2006

  2. caroline

    pcbutts1 Guest

    The only thing that will increase is her yelling and screaming.

    The list grows. Leythos the stalker,David H. Lipman, Max M Wachtell III aka
    What's in a Name?,Fitz,Rhonda Lea Kirk,Meat Plow, F Kwatu F, George Orwell

    pcbutts1, Dec 31, 2006

  3. caroline

    Death6 Guest

    caroline wrote:
    > My daughter lives in New York in a converted hotel.
    > They have WI FI which she pays for but she can only receive it in one part
    > of her flat.

    Well, it doesn't look like she can move around that much.

    > The company say " its just the way it is with this building".
    > I have been told that they should get a stronger WI FI router as its not
    > possible to increase the power of the networking cad although a friend said
    > put a Pringles container near the networking card and it should increase the
    > signal.
    > What is the answer, she is using a Belkin UK networking card in New York.

    Except for a UPS, a Belkin anything is a low quality product. The are
    cards out there that have much better reception.

    You can check with the people at alt.internet.wireless and see if they
    have some kind of a solution or they can recommend a wireless card with
    better reception.
    Death6, Dec 31, 2006
  4. caroline

    Leythos Guest

    In article <yZDlh.19534$>,
    says...
    > My daughter lives in New York in a converted hotel.
    > They have WI FI which she pays for but she can only receive it in one part
    > of her flat.
    > The company say " its just the way it is with this building".
    > I have been told that they should get a stronger WI FI router as its not
    > possible to increase the power of the networking cad although a friend said
    > put a Pringles container near the networking card and it should increase the
    > signal.
    > What is the answer, she is using a Belkin UK networking card in New York.

    Have her get a new wireless card, one with a external antenna if she
    can, and then she can place the antenna higher/lower/right/left of where
    she's sitting to get better reception - as nother mentioned, Belkin is
    almost alway crap.

    As for the Pringles, well, you would have to put the Antenna INSIDE the
    can and then point the can directly at the sending antenna.

    If she can't get a quality signal she should not have to pay for it.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Dec 31, 2006
  5. caroline

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-12-31, caroline <> wrote:
    > My daughter lives in New York in a converted hotel.
    > They have WI FI which she pays for but she can only receive it in one part
    > of her flat.
    > The company say " its just the way it is with this building".
    > I have been told that they should get a stronger WI FI router as its not
    > possible to increase the power of the networking cad although a friend said
    > put a Pringles container near the networking card and it should increase the
    > signal.
    > What is the answer, she is using a Belkin UK networking card in New York.

    She could try a different 'wifi' card in her computer; possibly, as
    already suggested, one that allows the use of an external aerial [antenna]
    that can by placed in the best location and connected to the computer by
    wire. Getting one that is the same make as the 'access point' might help;
    some people find that some brands don't work well together, although in
    theory the make of wifi card on the computer shouldn't make any
    difference.

    If it's important to her to have her computer wire-free and able to
    connect to the internet from anywhere inside her flat [appartment] then
    she could look into setting up a 'relay' system for herself (and possibly
    sharing it with neighbouring flats); essentially, a wifi gadget to connect
    to the communal network and pass the signals to and from a local 'access
    point' operating on a different 'channel'. I don't know off-hand of any
    off-the-shelf boxes for doing this, although such things may exist, but it
    should be possible to assemble something using a low-specification
    computer and wireless cards.

    The regulations about signal strength, frequencies, etc, vary in different
    countries, so it would be wise to buy the equipment locally and take
    advice from local 'experts'.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Dec 31, 2006