    but there are so many number have no idea which one to type in. Is there any
    way I can make a new password. Your help in this matter is greatly
    appreciated. Thanks, Monika
    purpledawn, Oct 5, 2010

  2. purpledawn

    Mike Easter Guest

    purpledawn wrote:
    > I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He tell me
    > he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and their password.
    > He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot logon into my wifi
    > conncetion.

    I understand what you are saying, but there is lack of clarity below.

    > I did find my wifi connection but have no idea what my password
    > was.

    'my wifi connection' is ambiguous here. My own wifi connection when I am
    at home is my router's access point (and/or also another access point in
    my house).

    Those access points were configured by me by my accessing their
    configuration pages which are passworded and choosing my type of
    security which I chose to be WPA and choosing my password or phrase for
    the access point.

    Then, the wireless device is configured correspondingly for both type of
    security and password.

    You haven't described any of that - you have only alluded to 'my wifi
    connection' and you profess an ignorance of knowing or configuring the
    password for the access point and also that of the laptop.

    That is a lot of unknowns.

    > Also noticed that the password section will not take any alphabetical
    > letters only numbers.

    I don't know what you mean there.

    > Did some research on the web and found (I guess) that
    > the password for the wifi should be on the bottom of the laptop.

    That is absolutely not so.

    I have encountered situations where a password was on the bottom of a
    gateway device - a modem/router.

    > I checked
    > but there are so many number have no idea which one to type in.

    Forget about that idea; you were misinformed.

    > Is there any
    > way I can make a new password.

    Maybe, if you are in control of the configuration of the device which is
    your wifi connection. But you are going to have to go back into the
    'history' of this wifi network you are accessing.

    Where is the device which you are trying to access with your laptop's
    wireless. Are you in control - the administrator - of that device. Or do
    you not even know where or what it is?

    If you are the administrator, what is the brand name and modelno of that
    device. Do you recall any password and security type? Who - such as
    what company/provider - installed that device? Did they configure your
    laptop as well?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 5, 2010

  3. purpledawn

    chuckcar Guest

    "purpledawn" <> wrote in

    > I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He
    > tell me he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and
    > their password. He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot
    > logon into my wifi conncetion. I did find my wifi connection but have
    > no idea what my password was. Also noticed that the password section
    > will not take any alphabetical letters only numbers. Did some research
    > on the web and found (I guess) that the password for the wifi should
    > be on the bottom of the laptop. I checked but there are so many number
    > have no idea which one to type in. Is there any way I can make a new
    > password. Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    > Monika

    Call the front desk.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 5, 2010
  4. purpledawn

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:i8f91p$j3g$-september.org "purpledawn"
    <> wrote:

    > Did some research on the web and found (I guess) that the password for
    > the wifi should be on the bottom of the laptop. I checked but there
    > are so many number have no idea which one to type in. Is there any way
    > I can make a new password. Your help in this matter is greatly

    Find the person who set up your home WiFi system and ask what they did.

    If you're simply running the WiFi system as it came out of the box with
    default name and password, let the folks here know what brand and model
    WiFi router you're using and they'll be able to tell you the default
    password. There's a good chance that the default password is on the WiFi
    router itself (not on your laptop).

    Lastly, if you're using a combination WiFi/wired router, you should be
    able to connect to the device using your home's wired network and
    re-configure it that way.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Oct 5, 2010
  5. purpledawn

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-10-05, purpledawn <> wrote:
    > I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He tell me
    > he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and their password.
    > He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot logon into my wifi
    > conncetion.

    I'm not familiar with Windows, but I would expect it to be able to
    remember several wifi connection login details. But it sounds as though
    your 'home' settings have been deleted somehow.

    > I did find my wifi connection but have no idea what my password
    > was. Also noticed that the password section will not take any alphabetical
    > letters only numbers.

    Hmmm. Do you mean it'll only accept 'Hex'?

    > Did some research on the web and found (I guess) that
    > the password for the wifi should be on the bottom of the laptop.

    I can't imagine where you'd find that bizarre notion. Perhaps someone was
    trying to say that some wifi routers have the default 'password' printed
    on a label somewhere - that's the thing wired to the cable or telephone
    internet socket, not your laptop. Worth a look there, as it sounds as
    though you're unlikely to have changed anything ;))

    > I checked
    > but there are so many number have no idea which one to type in. Is there any
    > way I can make a new password. Your help in this matter is greatly
    > appreciated. Thanks, Monika

    Try connecting the laptop to the router using an ethernet cable; that
    should 'just work' without any password. Once that's working you can use
    your web browser to get to the router's set-up interface - the address
    will probably be something like <http://192.168.0.1> or
    <http://192.168.2.1>. There should be some 'help' included in that.

    As an absolute last resort, the printed instructions or 'quick start
    guide' for the router just might be useful. You can probably find them on
    line, if you know the make and model of the router.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 5, 2010
  6. purpledawn wrote:
    > I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He tell me
    > he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and their password.
    > He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot logon into my wifi
    > conncetion. I did find my wifi connection but have no idea what my password
    > was. Also noticed that the password section will not take any alphabetical
    > letters only numbers. Did some research on the web and found (I guess) that
    > the password for the wifi should be on the bottom of the laptop. I checked
    > but there are so many number have no idea which one to type in. Is there any
    > way I can make a new password. Your help in this matter is greatly
    > appreciated. Thanks, Monika

    You dope, follow teh instructionses:
    http://www.pctechbytes.com/networking/windows-xp-network-setup-wizard

    <nods>

    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 5, 2010
  7. purpledawn

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:26:16 -0400, purpledawn wrote:

    > I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He
    > tell me he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and
    > their password. He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot
    > logon into my wifi conncetion. I did find my wifi connection but have no
    > idea what my password was. Also noticed that the password section will
    > not take any alphabetical letters only numbers. Did some research on the
    > web and found (I guess) that the password for the wifi should be on the
    > bottom of the laptop. I checked but there are so many number have no
    > idea which one to type in. Is there any way I can make a new password.
    > Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Monika

    Find how to do a factory reset in your router equipment documentation as
    a last resort. If you do that it will erase the password on the wifi
    router and you can start over like the router was new with a new
    connection and password.

    Meat Plow, Oct 5, 2010
  8. purpledawn

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 05/10/2010 14:50, chuckcar wrote:
    > "purpledawn"<> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He
    >> tell me he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and
    >> their password. He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot
    >> logon into my wifi conncetion. I did find my wifi connection but have
    >> no idea what my password was. Also noticed that the password section
    >> will not take any alphabetical letters only numbers. Did some research
    >> on the web and found (I guess) that the password for the wifi should
    >> be on the bottom of the laptop. I checked but there are so many number
    >> have no idea which one to type in. Is there any way I can make a new
    >> password. Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    >> Monika
    >>

    > Call the front desk.

    You fucking idiot.
    Desk Rabbit, Oct 5, 2010
  9. purpledawn

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 05/10/2010 16:01, Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2010-10-05, purpledawn<> wrote:
    >> I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He tell me
    >> he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and their password.
    >> He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot logon into my wifi
    >> conncetion.

    > I'm not familiar with Windows, but I would expect it to be able to
    > remember several wifi connection login details. But it sounds as though
    > your 'home' settings have been deleted somehow.
    >
    >> I did find my wifi connection but have no idea what my password
    >> was. Also noticed that the password section will not take any alphabetical
    >> letters only numbers.

    > Hmmm. Do you mean it'll only accept 'Hex'?

    You do know what hex is don't you?

    Clue: 0123456789ABCDEF
    Desk Rabbit, Oct 5, 2010
  10. purpledawn

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 05/10/2010 16:16, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:26:16 -0400, purpledawn wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He
    >> tell me he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and
    >> their password. He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot
    >> logon into my wifi conncetion. I did find my wifi connection but have no
    >> idea what my password was. Also noticed that the password section will
    >> not take any alphabetical letters only numbers. Did some research on the
    >> web and found (I guess) that the password for the wifi should be on the
    >> bottom of the laptop. I checked but there are so many number have no
    >> idea which one to type in. Is there any way I can make a new password.
    >> Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Monika

    > Find how to do a factory reset in your router equipment documentation as
    > a last resort. If you do that it will erase the password on the wifi
    > router and you can start over like the router was new with a new
    > connection and password.

    Which will probably reset the DSL acount details and leave the OP with a
    doorstop based on evident lack of technical ability.
    Desk Rabbit, Oct 5, 2010
  11. Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > chuckTard wrote:
    >> Call the front desk.
    >>

    > You fucking idiot.

    I tell ya .. it's really sad he has Canadian Club for breakfast!!!

    --
    -bts
    -I called the front desk, and my *wife* answered!
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 5, 2010
  12. purpledawn

    LabaTony Guest

    Yeah that cheap shit will **** you up.
    LabaTony, Oct 5, 2010
  13. purpledawn

    purpledawn Guest

    "purpledawn" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He tell
    >me he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and their
    >password. He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot logon into
    >my wifi conncetion. I did find my wifi connection but have no idea what my
    >password was. Also noticed that the password section will not take any
    >alphabetical letters only numbers. Did some research on the web and found
    >(I guess) that the password for the wifi should be on the bottom of the
    >laptop. I checked but there are so many number have no idea which one to
    >type in. Is there any way I can make a new password. Your help in this
    >matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Monika

    I realize that my description of my problem was rather vague. I am happy to
    report that I am back online. My wireless router is a Cisco Linksys. I
    looked at the bottom of it and jotted down the number. Got on the laptop
    selected my wifi connection and then when the password screen popped up,
    entered the number I had taken from the bottom of the router and am back
    online. thanks for all your replies. Monika
    purpledawn, Oct 5, 2010
  14. purpledawn

    Anyone Guest

    Evan Platt wrote on 05-Oct-10 07:04 ...
    > On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 13:50:53 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Call the front desk.

    > The front desk.. Of the OP's house?
    >
    > Good suggestion, chucktard.

    ah, yes, the 'bad old days'...

    Can't recall the date precisely, but many years ago some guy was having
    trouble with his email account so he posted a request for help to a
    newsgroup. His message was something like, 'how come my email takes so
    long to get sent?' One of the early replies:

    'Contact Tech Support for The Internet. just click on 'send' and
    it's away!'
    Anyone, Oct 5, 2010
  15. purpledawn

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-10-05, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    > On 05/10/2010 16:01, Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2010-10-05, purpledawn<> wrote:
    >>> I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He tell me
    >>> he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and their password.
    >>> He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot logon into my wifi
    >>> conncetion.

    >> I'm not familiar with Windows, but I would expect it to be able to
    >> remember several wifi connection login details. But it sounds as though
    >> your 'home' settings have been deleted somehow.
    >>
    >>> I did find my wifi connection but have no idea what my password
    >>> was. Also noticed that the password section will not take any alphabetical
    >>> letters only numbers.

    >> Hmmm. Do you mean it'll only accept 'Hex'?

    > You do know what hex is don't you?
    >
    > Clue: 0123456789ABCDEF

    <sigh> Yes, I do know. But I've never encountered a wireless network
    connection 'wizard' that would refuse to accept any alphabetical
    characters in a 'password' field, whereas I have encountered a restriction
    to accepting only 'Hex' for entering a WPA-PSK 'key'.

    I've also encountered WEP-only routers with default passwords which are a
    mix of letters and numbers but not 'Hex'.

    So I'm curious about a wifi 'wizard' refusing a password containing
    anything other than decimal numerals.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 5, 2010
  16. purpledawn

    Mike Easter Guest

    purpledawn wrote:

    > I am happy to
    > report that I am back online.

    Good.

    > My wireless router is a Cisco Linksys. I
    > looked at the bottom of it and jotted down the number.

    Ah, so. The bottom of the /router/.

    > Got on the laptop
    > selected my wifi connection and then when the password screen popped up,
    > entered the number I had taken from the bottom of the router and am back
    > online.

    Do you now/yet recall who did that for you in the first place? Did some
    provider tech come to your house and install the Linksys and configure
    your laptop?

    Thanks for the feedback for the solution.

    There is an article^1 that sez the key is also stored in the registry in

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Parameters\Interfaces\

    The article and comments there also mentions getting ware which will get
    WEP or WPA http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-find-a-wep-key How to find a
    wep key

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 5, 2010
  17. purpledawn

    purpledawn Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > purpledawn wrote:
    >
    >> I am happy to report that I am back online.

    > Good.
    >
    >> My wireless router is a Cisco Linksys. I looked at the bottom of it and
    >> jotted down the number.

    > Ah, so. The bottom of the /router/.
    >
    >> Got on the laptop selected my wifi connection and then when the password
    >> screen popped up, entered the number I had taken from the bottom of the
    >> router and am back online.

    > Do you now/yet recall who did that for you in the first place? Did some
    > provider tech come to your house and install the Linksys and configure
    > your laptop?
    >
    > Thanks for the feedback for the solution.
    >
    > There is an article^1 that sez the key is also stored in the registry in
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Parameters\Interfaces\
    >
    > The article and comments there also mentions getting ware which will get
    > WEP or WPA http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-find-a-wep-key How to find a wep
    > key
    >

    > --

    Mike Easter asked

    "Do you now/yet recall who did that for you in the first place? Did some
    provider tech come to your house and install the Linksys and configure
    your laptop?"

    Yes the laptop was set up and configured by my son`s friend who is a pc
    tech. He is on vacation and therefore I came to you all for help. I have
    made a small textfile with the password and stuck into my misc. folder.
    Thanks again for the above link and your help.
    Monika
    purpledawn, Oct 5, 2010
  18. purpledawn wrote:

    > I have made a small textfile with the password and stuck into my misc.
    > folder.

    Hopefully on a different computer!

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 5, 2010
  19. purpledawn

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:26:16 -0400, purpledawn wrote:

    > I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He
    > tell me he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and
    > their password. He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot
    > logon into my wifi conncetion. I did find my wifi connection but have no
    > idea what my password was. Also noticed that the password section will
    > not take any alphabetical letters only numbers. Did some research on the
    > web and found (I guess) that the password for the wifi should be on the
    > bottom of the laptop. I checked but there are so many number have no
    > idea which one to type in. Is there any way I can make a new password.
    > Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Monika

    The quickest way to reset the password is to format the hard drive.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as the warp core breached.
    Dan C, Oct 6, 2010
  20. purpledawn

    joevan Guest

    On 06 Oct 2010 01:45:28 GMT, Dan C <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:26:16 -0400, purpledawn wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He
    >> tell me he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and
    >> their password. He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot
    >> logon into my wifi conncetion. I did find my wifi connection but have no
    >> idea what my password was. Also noticed that the password section will
    >> not take any alphabetical letters only numbers. Did some research on the
    >> web and found (I guess) that the password for the wifi should be on the
    >> bottom of the laptop. I checked but there are so many number have no
    >> idea which one to type in. Is there any way I can make a new password.
    >> Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Monika

    >The quickest way to reset the password is to format the hard drive.

    AW, shit, the idiot is back.
    joevan, Oct 6, 2010