    modem/router as well?

    Thanks
    TJ

    TJ, Apr 22, 2006

  2. TJ

    Duane Arnold Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > Can I Wi-Fi network a XP PC to an ME PC so both could simultaneously
    > use the same existing wire ADSL modem internet access running on the XP
    > PC ?

    Wireless Ad-Hock networking where as networking is between wireless
    NIC's and one has ICS enabled is suspect to say the least about it on
    the MS paltform. That's particularly true for a Win XP machine as it can
    go out at the drop of a hat and not work period anymore.

    > Or do I need a WiFi USB dongle for each PC, plus a wireless
    > modem/router as well?

    Your best bet is to get a wire/wireless AP router and avoid the problems.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 22, 2006

  3. TJ

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-04-22, TJ <> wrote:
    > Can I Wi-Fi network a XP PC to an ME PC so both could simultaneously
    > use the same existing wire ADSL modem internet access running on the XP
    > PC ?
    >
    > Or do I need a WiFi USB dongle for each PC, plus a wireless
    > modem/router as well?
    >
    > Thanks
    > TJ

    Presumably you mean that your current "ADSL modem" is plugged into a USB
    socket on the machine running Windows XP.

    I believe it is possible to 'share your internet connection' on the
    machine that has the USB internet connection, as long as you can find a
    way to connect the other machine to the one with the "modem" - but then
    you would have to have the machine with the "modem" running if you want
    the other one to access the internet.

    A better arrangement would be to get a proper 'router'; these days,
    combined "ADSL modem/router" gadgets are widely available and one of those
    would replace your present "USB modem". Then you can connect each
    computer to the 'router' (with wires or wireless, whichever suits you
    better) and each of them can connect to the internet without the other
    computer being involved at all.

    The best way to make wired connections from your computers to the
    'router', is to have a 'Network Interface Card' (NIC) in each computer and
    use 'cat 5' cable plugged into the network sockets. Recent machines
    usually have a 'network' or 'ethernet' socket already built in; if not,
    NIC cards are pretty cheap for full-sized PCs, and there are PC-Card
    ('PCMCIA' or 'Cardbus') NICs for laptops.

    Setting up a wired network like this is fairly easy, and modem/routers
    came with clear step-by-step instructions.

    A wireless network may be more convenient, but of course you need a
    'wireless' NIC for each computer - and the security of your network
    requires that the set-up and instructions for a wireless router are more
    complex, but if you take it slowly one step at a time it isn't too bad.
    Recent laptops often have a built-in wireless NIC, and of course there are
    PC-Card Wireless cards for those that don't - and 'wireless' cards to be
    fitted into desktop PCs.

    USB is not a good way to connect network or internet devices; consider it a
    'last resort'. ISPs tend to sell or give away USB modems because they are
    cheap and with a bit of luck the customer will be able to get the
    connection working without too much help from the ISP, by letting the
    'installation CD' do most of the work.

    You normally do not have to use the modem provided by the ISP, but of
    course if you use your own then you have to make sure that it is
    configured correctly with the settings that your ISP requires. The ISP
    should be able to tell you what the settings are, and the instructions for
    your modem/router will tell you how to make the settings - usually using
    the normal web-browser on one of your computers.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 22, 2006