Wi-Fi memory cards coming to cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ablang, Jun 26, 2007.

  1. Ablang

    Ablang Guest

    Wi-Fi memory cards coming to cameras
    It's an SD memory card with built-in networking. Sounds cool, but will
    you spring $100 for it when it's released later this year?
    By Michael Kanellos
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    Published: June 10, 2007, 9:00 PM PDT

    http://news.com.com/Wi-Fi memory cards coming to cameras/2100-1041_3-6189671.html

    Think of it as point, shoot and post.

    In the fall, start-up Eye-Fi plans to release Secure Digital memory
    cards with integrated Wi-Fi chips. With the card, digital cameras will
    be able to automatically send photos to home PCs or to photo-sharing
    Web sites.

    The company is negotiating with about a dozen Web sites to allow
    direct uploads from cameras containing the cards, Eye-Fi founder and
    CEO Yuval Koren said.

    The card is set to cost about $100. Although he did not clarify their
    memory capacity, he strongly indicated that they would hold about 2
    gigabytes. Many current cameras won't easily accommodate larger cards,
    which have a slightly different format, he said. After 2GB, people
    should be downloading anyway, he added.

    The company also recently landed $5.5 million in venture funding from
    Opus Capital and Shasta Ventures.

    The idea for the company came from a wedding in 2004, Koren said. All
    of the guests were taking pictures.

    "Everyone promised to share them, but a year later, I still hadn't
    seen the photos," he said.

    Eye-Fi's cards are designed to conform to the standard SD card size;
    the cards contain enough spare real estate to incorporate a Wi-Fi
    chip. The networking functions on the card shut down when photos
    aren't being sent in order to save battery life.

    Because the wireless functionality resides on the card, the networking
    functions won't interfere with the camera, the company said. Thus,
    people can keep snapping away without worrying about the Wi-Fi chip
    hogging the camera's processor. Users will be able to set the profile
    of the card to direct it to send photos either to a PC or a Web site,
    as well as whether to send the photos as they get taken or at the end
    of a photo session.
    Now on News.com
    Web 2.0 security: 'Invent the wheel' Linux coders tackle power
    efficiency Special feature: The countdown to the iPhone Extra:
    Artificial intelligence: Lost in the woods

    So far, cameras with integrated Wi-Fi have not been a monster hit with
    consumers. At $100, the Eye-Fi card will be far more expensive than
    generic SD cards. Currently, 2GB cards can be found for $29 or less,
    and flash prices continue to descend. A 4GB card can be bought for
    $70.

    Density is going up too. However, Koren asserted that some consumers
    will go for the added functionality of Wi-Fi rather than for more
    storage.

    Finding public Wi-Fi spots for downloading often isn't easy, either.
    "The focus will initially be on the home network," Koren said. Now
    people simply use the free USB cord that comes with the camera to
    connect their camera in the home.

    Ablang, Jun 26, 2007

  2. Ablang

    Somebody Guest

    "Ablang" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > Web 2.0 security: 'Invent the wheel' Linux coders tackle power
    > efficiency Special feature: The countdown to the iPhone Extra:
    > Artificial intelligence: Lost in the woods
    >
    > So far, cameras with integrated Wi-Fi have not been a monster hit with
    > consumers. At $100, the Eye-Fi card will be far more expensive than
    > generic SD cards. Currently, 2GB cards can be found for $29 or less,
    > and flash prices continue to descend. A 4GB card can be bought for
    > $70.
    >
    > Density is going up too. However, Koren asserted that some consumers
    > will go for the added functionality of Wi-Fi rather than for more
    > storage.
    >
    > Finding public Wi-Fi spots for downloading often isn't easy, either.
    > "The focus will initially be on the home network," Koren said. Now
    > people simply use the free USB cord that comes with the camera to

    Not for the wi-fi. However, they are also working on one with GPS tagging
    capabilities. That with Wi-Fi would make me pay $100. Anything less no.

    =(8)

    Somebody, Jun 26, 2007