    access the net using my own isp?

    TIA

    Tezza
    tezza, Jan 27, 2005

  2. tezza

    PC Guest

    "tezza" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've found plenty of wi-fi faq on the web but can anyone tell me about the
    > cost? And do I need to register with the ISP at the host site or can i
    > access the net using my own isp?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Tezza

    Tezza

    Regretfully you haven't given enough information.
    What do you expect 'WiFi' to do for you, connect two computers together,
    connect to the Internet??

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Jan 27, 2005

  3. tezza wrote:

    > I've found plenty of wi-fi faq on the web but can anyone tell me about the
    > cost? And do I need to register with the ISP at the host site or can i
    > access the net using my own isp?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Tezza

    It varies a lot. Some "hot spots" are free to use, such as at gourmet
    coffee shops and the like. Some hotels throw in wireless access to the
    internet. Some places charge for fast internet access. But you need to
    check with each source to get the requirements. If you're using Windows
    XP and you fire up a laptop at a coffee shop, it give you a message that
    a wireless network is available and ready for use.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 28, 2005
  4. tezza

    Carlos Guest

    There are some neat programs that will tell you when a wi-fi spot is
    near, even show you several networks and the details such as signal
    strength, whether it's coded and the name of the network.
    http://www.pctel.com/mobilitysolutions.html is one of them, you may find
    more at Tucows or CNET.
    If the name of the network is something like Linksys, Netgear, Dlink
    etc. most likely is a network that somebody set up but never bother to
    protect by encoding it, that means that you they are free to use by
    anyone.
    This is a security problem for the owner of the network, for example
    there's something going around called Drive-by-spam, someone goes around
    looking for one of those networks and then use it to send spam then move
    to another network and so on, impossible to catch the spammer and a
    liability problem for the network owner.
    Most of the networks that require a subscription to be used are the most
    reliable and steady, some are kiosk installed at a mall, cafe, hotel
    etc. you can used the wireless and if you don't have a laptop you can
    access the internet from the kiosk.
    You can subscribe to the wireless for an hour, a day, a month. The
    subscription is usually cheaper than a direct DSL or cable service and
    you can use the subscription at other hot spots that are in the same
    network or in associated networks.

    Carlos, Feb 9, 2005