    wireless s/w in the HP because I think it's corrupted, but I dont know how.
    McAfee and Belkin router help desks were not useful, and neither was the
    Microsoft KB material. HELP,please. Pete

    =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZQ==?=, Apr 5, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZQ==?=

    MacAddict Guest

    Not sure about HP laptops but on Dell laptops you need to hit FN + F2
    to turn the wireless card (on the hardware, not software) on/off.

    Perhaps the wireless card on your laptop is turned off at the hardware
    level.

    MacAddict, Apr 5, 2006

  3. Hi
    1. The Router does not need software to work correctly.
    2. The Wireless client card on the computer can work with its own software,
    or with Windows Wireless Zero Configuration
    (http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html )
    I do not know which method you used in the past when it worked correctly?
    Straight logic dictates that what ever happened is due to the Installation
    of the Security Suite.
    Security suites do not "corrupt" the Wireless software but they might block
    Network traffic.
    So uninstall the Security Suite and reconfigure your system to work again.
    Once it works learn the relation between Security Suite and the Network so
    that you can install and configure the suite in a way that would not block
    network traffic.
    Do use the wizards multiple times it would make thing worse, configure
    manually.
    If you need to "Debug your Network setting, and make sure that it is OK may
    be this can Help.
    In General, you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following
    these steps.
    Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager.
    Make sure that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there
    is No IRQ conflict, and No Ghost installation.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
    Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
    http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates that
    every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.
    Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
    or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
    If need to Reinstall; Log to this page it have a lot of links to
    instructions for Windows Network
    Installation -http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 5, 2006
  4. If the HP laptop in question uses the Intel-Proset integrated NIC, enabling
    the wireless is a 2-step process. The button along the top of the keyboard
    is the obvious one. What they don’t tell you is this only controls the
    HARDWARE. What you don’t know unless you dig is you need to turn on the
    SOFTWARE:

    Right-click the My Computer icon, choose Manage
    In the left pane, click Device Manager.
    In the right pane, expand Network Adapter by clicking the “+†sign if ti
    isn’t already expanded
    Right-click the Proset NIC in the right pane, choose Properties
    On the Advanced tab there is a button for turning the “software†on

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJlYWt5R2Vlaw==?=, Apr 7, 2006
  5. --
    PW

    =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZQ==?=, Apr 9, 2006
  6. Jack-I dont know how to check socket layers, Winsock or TCP/IP stack. I
    reinstalled McAfee before i wrote you and it now seems to work ok but
    disabling it does not help the computer recognize the presence of ANY
    network. I removed the WIFI card and and hoped the system would
    recognize/reinstall it,but no luck. Yet dev. mgr says card is OK (no
    conflicts).Unfortunately I used Wizard 5 times-can I undo w/regedit? If it
    was added in SP2 , can that be uninstalled and perhaps sledge hammer the
    problem? Thanks for your hepl. Pete

    =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZQ==?=, Apr 9, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZQ==?=

    Guest

    On 9-Apr-2006, =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZQ==?= <> wrote:

    > > > I would like to uniistall the
    > > > wireless s/w in the HP because I think it's corrupted, but I dont know
    > > > how.

    Not that it helps this far down the problem chain, but a good uninstaller
    is a great problem solver when a program install kills something.
    Or a Ghost image of your OS/HD before the problem occurred.

    , Apr 9, 2006