Wi-Fi connectivity cannot associate with Access Point; NO SP2

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?c2lnbGFwaWFu?=, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. Hi all,
    I'm currently using an office workstation to access the internet. I've been
    searching high and low for means to update get my home computer to be able to
    have Wi-Fi internet connectivity. I've found out that I might be able to get
    it if I am able to download Service Pack 2 for Windows, as it has better
    Wi-Fi compatibility. HOWEVER... how am I supposed to download SP2 when I have
    no internet access at home? I have no admin rights on this work computer now
    as well, so I cannot access Windows Update website. Is there an .exe file I
    can download from anywhere to update my windows instead of going through the
    net? Isn't it a paradox that I need SP2 to access the Internet, but I need
    the Internet to download SP2?
    I posted the above on the Windows Update newsgroup... still waiting for a
    reply.. as for my home computer, it does not have SP2, I'm using a Linksys
    external Wireless Wi-Fi receiver, newest one i believe, and it has forced me
    to use its linksys programme to scan for networks ( a green square icon at
    the bottom right ), I can revert to Windows Wireless, albiet the old, non-SP2
    version. The problem is that most of the time I am connected to the access
    point, but not the internet. On the rare occasions that I connect to both
    access point and internet, I am connected for only at most five minutes both
    connections are lost and the internet cannot be found again till I reboot. It
    should not be a clashing of channels problem as they are but 2 networks in
    the area. Also, will updating to SP2 solve this? Thanks for any help guys.
    =?Utf-8?B?c2lnbGFwaWFu?=, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Hello sigalpian,

    Let me make sure I understand your question. First, if you have no admin
    rights on your work PC, odds are that your network admin has disabled any
    exe.files for users to download. Have you tried getting SP2 on a CD from
    microsoft.com?
    I have to ask though, if you are needing SP2 at home, why are you trying
    to download it onto a work machine?
    Also, in the first part of your question , you did not mention the OS you
    are using at home. Since you are looking for SP2, is it safe to guess that
    you are using XP home or pro with SP1?
    Here is where I am having a hard time with your question, you said"
    .....How am I supposed to download SP2 when I have no internet access at
    home....?" then later you state,"... As for my home computer.... the problem
    is most of the time I am connected to the acess point but not to the
    internet.." Are you wanting to just use wireless to access your home PC but
    not to go online?
    Have you used tthe setup wizard in windows?

    Here is a fact I can promise you is will work, if you have a legit OS with
    an Internet connection, you can update XP Home &Pro to SP2 just by using
    Windows Updates. No fuss, just point and click, and SP1 will update in 30
    minutes via a high speed connection. Dial up takes much longer but it will
    finsish if nothing breaks the connection, so make sure to turn off call
    waiting.
    One thing to keep in mind is that Sp2 is mostly security updates it is
    very possible that updating to it ill not solve your issue. If it dosen't try
    Cnet for answers to wireless networkng. A short word to the wise here, do
    not run a wirless connection on the net without an SP2 update.
    I hope this helps and I am sorry if I misunderstood you.
    Best of luck,
    Ron J

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIEo=?=, Nov 29, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?c2lnbGFwaWFu?=

    camilinksys

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    you are currently connected to the AP but the Internet cannot be found

    It is very common that you get this error message when your router has the security enabled, but you have either mistyped it, not typed it at all or even typed it but not confirmed it.

    I. First of all, check out the available signals in range
    ( For Windows XP SP2 Wireless Zero Configuration
    --> Control Panel
    --> Network Connections
    --> right-click on Wireless Network Connection
    --> View Available Signals)

    Once you've found your network on the list, if it were secured you'd see a little key chain to the left of the network's name (aka SSID).

    a. If you see no key chain, double click on the name and this should connect you. If it doesn't connect you, go forward to step 2.

    b. If there is one, double click on the network and your network monitor should ask for a password or key. you have to enter it and confirm it (meaning, you should type it in twice). This should get you connected. If you see the chain or know that you have a key, but the monitor won't ask for it, click on the option Changer the Order of Preferred Networks, find your network; select it and click on properties. You will find yourself on the Association tab: make sure the option "The key is provided for me automatically" is not ticked. Type in your Network key in the blanks above it. Next, go to the Authentication tab and make sure that none of the options is ticked, either.

    II. If the Zero Config says you are connected, and you still get this error message, go to the menu Start --> Run --> type CMD --> then, on the black screen, type ipconfig and hit enter
    Check that your IP address is other than 169.254.x.x . If this is the case, skip this step.
    If you have a 169.254.x.x range address, go back to the Network Connections window and right-click on Wireless Network Connection. This time you will go to Properties. Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP, hit properties again and tick the "use the following IP address" and write down an address in the range of your router or AP. If you don't know what the range is, you should check this with its Tech Support. At the same time, it will be necessary for you to configure statis DNS servers, which you should check with your Internet Service Provider.
    After this, you should be able to surf the net.

    II. If you've checked all of this and there seems to be no problem, the only thing left to do is access your router's or AP's configuration interface and make sure you haven't enabled any MAC address filtering.
    camilinksys, Jul 1, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?c2lnbGFwaWFu?=

    camilinksys

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    at the same time,

    if you are having a hard time connecting wirelessly due to an old windows version, I recommend you install Boingo Network Manager (you can download it for free from http://www.boingo.com/download.html ) . It is simple, stable and works almost always.

    good luck!
    camilinksys, Jul 1, 2006