    simple?

    If I require some other hardware please let me know

    Thanks

    bones, May 19, 2006

  2. "bones" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hey
    >
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop which is about 5 years old or so. My
    > neighbor just got internet wi-fi installed and he said that I could use
    > the signal from it from my place. Now, I don't know much about it but
    > could I just install a card of some sort that could grab the signal from
    > the air? I do have two slots on the side that I believe I could use.
    > Could it be that simple?
    >
    > If I require some other hardware please let me know
    >
    > Thanks

    Logistically it could probably happen but consider the factors involved like
    physical distance between your laptop and his wireless device, compostion of
    walls including insulation with a metal backing, other wireless signals in
    the area (from wireless devices including routers, 2.4ghz cordless phones),
    as well as microwave ovens. These issues would definitely affect your speed
    you connect at (if at all). you'd probably just have to try it. There are
    two different types of wireless adapters you can purchase for your laptop...
    either a pcmcia card (assuming your pc supports this type) or a usb adapter.

    Now for my disclaimer....
    I know kids in college dorms do it all the time but if I was sharing my
    connection I'd be very careful. This is basically just like sharing a cable
    tv connection with a neighbor. There are ethical and legal issues.

    dennis

    dennis meissner, May 19, 2006

  3. bones

    Spajky Guest

    On Thu, 18 May 2006 21:36:33 -0400, "bones" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop which is about 5 years old or so. .
    > Now, I don't know much about it but could I
    >just install a card of some sort that could grab the signal from the air? I
    >do have two slots on the side that I believe I could use.
    >If I require some other hardware please let me know

    before buying a wifi network card, check with some proggy like SiSoft
    Sandra under MoBo tab what kind of PCI version does your MoBo have.
    IMHO you need at least PCI.v.2.1 compatible card or maybe even earlier
    one like Canyon WF-511 one (pci.2.0-compatible) ...
    --
    Regards , SPAJKY ®
    mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com

    Spajky, May 19, 2006