    get Sololink.

    How can I access my linksys WVC54G wi-fi camera through my website ?

    tia

    Junkyard Engineer, Nov 3, 2004

  2. Junkyard Engineer

    Sooner Al Guest

    If your running Windows XP perhaps the "Webcam Timershot" Power Toy would work for you...

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al, Nov 3, 2004

  3. Hi,

    You are right so here it is :

    Router Wi-Fi linksys WRT54GS. WEP enabled
    Main PC connected RJ45 to router. WinXP pro IIS 5.1/FTP running. Port
    forwarding range 79-82 IIS and range 19-22 for FTP. DMZ enabled.
    Children PC connected via wi-fi, no problem/question there.
    Laptop via Wi-Fi, no problem/question there
    Linksys WVC54G Wi-Fi camera installed in the room of my future baby ! (april
    '05) Working no problem

    I want to view the camera (real time) via an internet link when I'm not home
    to check what's going on in his room (yes, it will be a boy ! it's my 4th !)

    Timelap pictures sent to my FTP is probably one way to do part of it. But
    Linksys bundle Sololink (quite expensive) where you can access your camera
    via internet live. So if they are doing it, I don't see why I can't.

    I've setup the camera on channel 6, infrastructure network and WEP and
    activated port 1024. I've open a port forwarding 1024 in my router and like
    IIS & FTP enabled it on IP 192.168.1.100 which is the IP of my PC.

    When I'm accessing http:// 69.70.XXX.YYY:1024 it gives me an error where it
    can't find the server.

    So, what's next ?

    Junkyard Engineer, Nov 3, 2004
  4. Junkyard Engineer

    Sooner Al Guest

    Another solution maybe the free Microsoft Portrait program.

    http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait/

    You can call direct IP-to-IP. Forward TCP Port 8100 (Listen), UDP Port 8110 (Video) and UDP Port
    8210 (Audio) through any firewall/NAT/router to the private LAN IP of the PC the webcam is connected
    to.

    http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

    Call using the public IP of the firewall/NAT/router or setup a fully qualified domain name and call
    using that...

    I use a FREE service from No-IP.com. The No-IP.com software runs on my XP Pro box and on a time
    schedule basis contacts the No-IP.com servers. The No-IP.com servers then know what your IP is and
    maps that to a fully qualified domain name. That information is then propagated over the public
    internet. You could then call the client PC using the fully qualified domain name. It works very
    well for me when I call my home network using Remote Desktop, Portrait, etc...

    http://www.no-ip.com

    Sooner Al, Nov 3, 2004
  5. Junkyard Engineer

    Jack Guest

    Jack, Nov 4, 2004
  6. Junkyard Engineer

    RRoSaLeS Guest

    Your WVC54G should have its own IP address just like any other PCs
    behind your router. So, if your main PC has 192.168.1.100, your WVC54G
    should have something like 192.168.1.10n. You should forward port 1024
    to that IP address. Then your http:// 69.70.XXX.YYY:1024 should work.

    Try that and let us know if it works.

    Cheers!

    RRoSaLeS, Nov 12, 2004
  7. Well, there was 2 problems (at least).

    1) yes the camera has it's own address but there was no DNS defined. I
    didn't know that until I was ready to send back everything to Cisco. I got
    my RMA # and suddenly, on "more knowledgeable" techies phoned me. He
    remotely connected to the router and help me out debugging it. So the first
    problem was no DNS. He ask me to put some bizarre number there with no
    relation to what I saw anywhere else on my PC. Anyway it didn't worked.

    2) So after few minutes, he changed port 1024 to 1025 and bang, it worked.

    3) I should tell you that since I got my router (WRT54GS) the connnection
    kept dropping for no apparent reason and reconnected immediately. When I'm
    trying to access a FTP site or anybody trying to access my IIS/FTP site, the
    connection dropped right away and reconnected within 1 - 2 second. I tried
    the Zero configuration, WEP, No WEP, 802.11checked/unchecked. Same problem.
    Also, for no apparent reason, my PC IP which is connected via a cable to the
    router (other PCs are WI-FI) keep changing it's IP from 192.168.1.100 to 101
    or 102 and then come back on 100. Since I have IIS and port forwarding is
    not automatic, I was checking my PC IP all the time just to be sure it's
    still there.

    Anyway, I'm speaking in the past tense as you might have read. That's
    because, the following morning of the camera-phone-Cisco-event, the router
    went completely bazooka. For no reason, during the night, now my PC is
    connected directely to the internet. I have a full IP. It's just like the
    router is not there anymore. Reset or not, the problem is the same.

    So call back Cisco, and the techie told me to get a RMA#. So, I'm waiting
    since 2 weeks now because believe it or not, they don't even have one in
    stock ! When I saw that there was a backorder on my unit, I called them back
    and told them that there was several units in my local computer store ! Why
    can't have some on hand ! Anyway, that's the story so far.

    If I can tell you all something, don't buy anything from Cisco. The first
    WVC54 camera I got was not even powering up. I paid 15$ to send it back
    because of poor, really poor quality control from Cisco. They don't even
    want to pay for it.

    Can you believe that ?

    Junkyard Engineer, Nov 13, 2004