    Bill Guest

    My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.

    Why would it want to do that?

    Bill, Oct 10, 2003

  2. It's probably just trying to converse with M$. Once registered you'll get no
    support as usual.

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    : My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.
    :
    : Why would it want to do that?
    :
    :

    Use.Netuser.de, Oct 10, 2003

  3. Bill

    Chuck Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:28:04 GMT, "Bill" <> wrote:

    >My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.
    >
    >Why would it want to do that?

    Bill,

    Actually, there is a logical explanation for that happening - I read
    about it in another discussion somewhere (where? no idea). The
    conclusion is that is was probably logical from the manufacturer's
    point of view, but not permitted by a security conscious user.

    Why not give us details, so we can see if your circumstances are
    benign?

    Cheers,

    Chuck
    I hate spam - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!

    Chuck, Oct 10, 2003
  4. Bill

    Bumblebee Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:28:04 GMT,"Bill" posted ...

    >My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.
    >
    >Why would it want to do that?

    I have a Microsoft Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse and they both try to
    access the internet. I think they are trying to Register with MS or it
    could be that they are wanting to check for new versions of software.
    I don't worry about it, ZAP blocks them and that is the end of it.
    --

    Chris Bee

    Bumblebee, Oct 10, 2003
  5. In article <8amhb.64951$>, st6
    says...
    > My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.
    >
    > Why would it want to do that?

    because it's lonely?

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Oct 10, 2003
  6. "Bumblebee" <> wrote in message

    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:28:04 GMT,"Bill" posted ...
    >
    > >My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.
    > >
    > >Why would it want to do that?

    > I have a Microsoft Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse and they both try to
    > access the internet. I think they are trying to Register with MS or it
    > could be that they are wanting to check for new versions of software.
    > I don't worry about it, ZAP blocks them and that is the end of it.
    > --
    >
    > Chris Bee

    My keyboard (from another manufacturer) does exactly the same. The problem
    now is that every single minute, that stupid keyboard tries to phone home,
    and of course ZA blocks it. It has been doing so for a year, and if say my
    computer is on about five hours each day, it has tried more than 100,000
    times now. (If I would have left the computer on the whole day, it would
    have been more than 500,000 times by now.) Why can't they just put in a
    dialog, ask me whether I want to register, and if I answer «no» leave it at
    that???

    Filip

    Filip van Laenen, Oct 10, 2003
  7. Bill

    Bumblebee Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:13:51 +0200,"Filip van Laenen" posted ...

    >"Bumblebee" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:28:04 GMT,"Bill" posted ...
    >>
    >> >My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.
    >> >
    >> >Why would it want to do that?

    >> I have a Microsoft Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse and they both try to
    >> access the internet.

    >My keyboard (from another manufacturer) does exactly the same. The problem
    >now is that every single minute, that stupid keyboard tries to phone home,
    >and of course ZA blocks it.
    >
    >Why can't they just put in a dialog, ask me whether I want to register,
    >and if I answer «no» leave it at that???

    Agree. But we can't just blame Microsoft alone then if a keyboard from
    another manufacturer does the same thing.
    Another thing that bugs me, if I click on Help using Win XP, immediately
    I get asked: "do you want Help to access the internet?" so ZAP now
    blocks that too. If I want to visit a Microsoft Help page I prefer it to
    be my decision and not be taken there automatically.

    Whinge over now.
    --

    Chris Bee

    Bumblebee, Oct 11, 2003
  8. "Bumblebee" <> wrote in message

    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:13:51 +0200,"Filip van Laenen" posted ...
    >
    > >"Bumblebee" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:28:04 GMT,"Bill" posted ...

    today.

    > >> I have a Microsoft Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse and they both try to
    > >> access the internet.

    > >My keyboard (from another manufacturer) does exactly the same. The

    problem
    > >now is that every single minute, that stupid keyboard tries to phone

    home,
    > >and of course ZA blocks it.
    > >
    > >Why can't they just put in a dialog, ask me whether I want to register,
    > >and if I answer «no» leave it at that???

    > Agree. But we can't just blame Microsoft alone then if a keyboard from
    > another manufacturer does the same thing.
    > Another thing that bugs me, if I click on Help using Win XP, immediately
    > I get asked: "do you want Help to access the internet?" so ZAP now
    > blocks that too. If I want to visit a Microsoft Help page I prefer it to
    > be my decision and not be taken there automatically.
    >
    > Whinge over now.
    > --
    >
    > Chris Bee

    Anybody ever use a Lexmark printer and have it phone home? Seems some of
    their driver disks (in the past, not sure about now) also loaded software
    which sent out your system information. One reason why I refuse to buy their
    printers :)

    John E. Carty, Oct 11, 2003
  9. Bill

    Chris Guest

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Bumblebee wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:13:51 +0200,"Filip van Laenen" posted ...
    >
    > >"Bumblebee" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:28:04 GMT,"Bill" posted ...

    > >> I have a Microsoft Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse and they both try to
    > >> access the internet.

    > >My keyboard (from another manufacturer) does exactly the same. The problem
    > >now is that every single minute, that stupid keyboard tries to phone home,
    > >and of course ZA blocks it.
    > >
    > >Why can't they just put in a dialog, ask me whether I want to register,
    > >and if I answer «no» leave it at that???

    > Agree. But we can't just blame Microsoft alone then if a keyboard from
    > another manufacturer does the same thing.

    Excuse me if I'm wrong.. but arn't all the above posted by users of an M$
    operating system? You're right in pointing out that M$ arn't the only
    ones to be operating improperly, but this functionality is only possible
    because the OS (and/or drivers) permits such behaviour.. if this OS is M$,
    then perhaps we can blame them a little more than you suggest..?

    Just an thought anyway.. I have never had such issues, but do not use M$
    based OS's.. who knows if the keyboards/mice I use would have tried to
    'phone home' under another OS. maybe even some non-M$ OS's..

    --
    Chris (BALDRICK) Remove "^nospam^." to reply.
    PGP Key fingerprint = C138 73D1 B970 57D1 B90C 7616 E350 2F4C 5416 2DE2

    Chris, Oct 11, 2003
  10. Bill

    Bit Twister Guest

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 23:50:30 +0100, Chris wrote:

    > Excuse me if I'm wrong.. but arn't all the above posted by users of an M$
    > operating system? You're right in pointing out that M$ arn't the only
    > ones to be operating improperly, but this functionality is only possible
    > because the OS (and/or drivers) permits such behaviour.. if this OS is M$,
    > then perhaps we can blame them a little more than you suggest..?
    >
    > Just an thought anyway.. I have never had such issues, but do not use M$
    > based OS's.. who knows if the keyboards/mice I use would have tried to
    > 'phone home' under another OS. maybe even some non-M$ OS's..

    I would suggest that the phone home code is in the mouse/kb driver and
    not the hardware. Now it would be a toss up as to which is phoning
    home, the os or hardware driver. I mean it could be M$ crying that it
    is not a M$ mouse/kb or the hardware vendor wanting to know some
    "marketing" information.

    It might be informative to know if letting it phone home once, makes
    it quit, or if it is phoning home everytime you boot.

    Bit Twister, Oct 12, 2003
  11. Bill

    Solbu Guest

    Solbu, Oct 13, 2003
  12. Bill

    brandorf Guest

    > I would suggest that the phone home code is in the mouse/kb driver and
    > not the hardware. Now it would be a toss up as to which is phoning
    > home, the os or hardware driver. I mean it could be M$ crying that it
    > is not a M$ mouse/kb or the hardware vendor wanting to know some
    > "marketing" information.

    This is, in fact the case. I have both a Microsoft natural keyboard
    and a MS Trackball Optical. Both of these function fine without
    installing their software. But if I want full useability of those
    extra "Media Buttons" on the keyboard, or I want extra configuration
    capabilities on the trackball, then I must install their software.
    This software sits in the taskbar and for whatever reason, wants to
    call up microsoft and say "Hi". ZoneAlarm shut those two up good.

    - Brandon "MS Phone Home!" K
    -

    "You can't bust my SPAM filter!"

    brandorf, Oct 15, 2003