Why Would Cannell Do This?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by mhadley@itol.com, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have a serious question about why some decisions are made about TV
    shows being put out on DVD.

    Why would the Executive Producer of a slew of shows CHOOSE to put out
    edited versions of his shows? Not going back and "George Lucasing"
    them, just cutting scenes for no reason.

    This is about the Stephen J Cannell shows with Anchor Bay. 21
    Jumpstreet, Hunter, The A-Team and Silk Stalkings (plus more I am sure)
    all have at least 1 season out on DVD with AB and ALL of them are the
    SYNDICATION prints of the episodes (IE: not just missing the correct
    music but missing scenes as well). I have alot of these shows on tape
    from when they originally aired and I noticed many of them are missing
    scenes that were there during the original airings of these shows, my
    question is why would Cannell put out the cut versions?

    I hate but understand the music issue (rights) but this one baffles
    me. You would think that the DVD sets would present the best place to
    release these UNCUT (with scenes people have not seen since the
    original airings). I don't blame Anchor Bay for this as they can only
    put out what Cannell gives them but can anyone give me real insight
    into why Cannell would do this?

    Despite them not being perfect quality anymore this just makes me
    treasure my old VHS tapes even more as they not only have the correct
    music, they have all the scenes as well.......

    , Aug 3, 2005

  2. Jeff Rife Guest

    () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > I have alot of these shows on tape
    > from when they originally aired and I noticed many of them are missing
    > scenes that were there during the original airings of these shows, my
    > question is why would Cannell put out the cut versions?

    Many reasons:

    - it was a mistake...they grabbed the wrong masters
    - they don't *have* original airing sources anymore
    - they used the wrong ones intentionally for some bizarre reason

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife, Aug 3, 2005

  3. Goro Guest

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > I have alot of these shows on tape
    > > from when they originally aired and I noticed many of them are missing
    > > scenes that were there during the original airings of these shows, my
    > > question is why would Cannell put out the cut versions?

    > Many reasons:
    >
    > - it was a mistake...they grabbed the wrong masters
    > - they don't *have* original airing sources anymore
    > - they used the wrong ones intentionally for some bizarre reason

    isn't this also true of ALF?

    -goro-

    Goro, Aug 3, 2005
  4. jayembee Guest

    wrote:

    > I have a serious question about why some decisions are made about TV
    > shows being put out on DVD.
    >
    > Why would the Executive Producer of a slew of shows CHOOSE to put out
    > edited versions of his shows?

    I don't think he's "choosing" to do so, I think it's (a) sloppy work, and/or (b)
    not caring. People will buy them regardless, so Cannell's people probably aren't
    knocking themselves out to get the original, unedited versions to master for
    DVD.

    Music and edited versions aside, I think the Cannell releases are shoddy pieces
    of work, and I've decided to not buy any more (with a couple of exceptions: I'll
    continue to buy WISEGUY, and if they get around to STINGRAY...) It's not like I
    don't have enough other stuff to get.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Aug 4, 2005
  5. Goro Guest

    jayembee wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have a serious question about why some decisions are made about TV
    > > shows being put out on DVD.
    > >
    > > Why would the Executive Producer of a slew of shows CHOOSE to put out
    > > edited versions of his shows?

    > I don't think he's "choosing" to do so, I think it's (a) sloppy work, and/or (b)
    > not caring. People will buy them regardless, so Cannell's people probably aren't
    > knocking themselves out to get the original, unedited versions to master for
    > DVD.
    >
    > Music and edited versions aside, I think the Cannell releases are shoddy pieces
    > of work, and I've decided to not buy any more (with a couple of exceptions: I'll
    > continue to buy WISEGUY, and if they get around to STINGRAY...) It's not like I
    > don't have enough other stuff to get.
    >
    > -- jayembee

    ODL. STINGRAY!!! i haven't thot of that series in forever. DAMB, now
    there's one more on my wishlist. i used to LOVE that show. (i wonder
    how well it ages, though).

    -goro-

    Goro, Aug 4, 2005