Why Would Avast (free) AV Cause Mouse To Become Non-Functional

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Internet Highway Traveler, Nov 5, 2009.

  1. Hello,

    I have encountered a problem that I hope that readers of this NG can help me
    resolve.

    Due to my subscription to Norton AV 2010 expiring tomorrow, I decided to
    uninstall it so as to try Avast (free) AV.

    I uninstalled Norton through Add/Remove, and then used its Removal Tool to
    complete the task.

    After doing the above, I downloaded Avast, rebooted, and then obtained my
    licence key which I then entered into the software.

    When I then attempted to drag and drop the desktop Avast icon into my "AV"
    folder, the icon did not move from its place on the desktop; furthermore,
    the same icon, as well as my mouse cursor, froze over the folder into which
    I wanted to drop the icon.

    I then had to press Ctrl - Alt - Delete to activate the Task Manager.

    Under Application, only "drag" appeared and its status was Not Running.

    I then restarted my PC through Task Manager.

    I once again attempted to drag and drop the icon, but the result was the
    same, namely, unsuccessful.

    I rebooted through Task Manager, as Start - Shutdown - Restart was
    unavailable to me due to my frozen mouse.

    After I rebooted, I avoided dragging anything; instead, I right-clicked a
    TXT doc on my desktop. Upon doing so, the cursor changed to that of a
    stationary hourglass and just hung, being frozen.

    I once again had to use Task Manager to reboot, and I again encountered the
    same hourglass when right-clicking the doc.

    I do not have any AV or software firewalls on my PC.

    The firewall that I do have is part of my ISP-provided 2Wire 2701HG-G
    modem/router/firewall.

    My PC is a Dell 8200 which I purchased in early 2002.

    It is a P4 running at 2 GHz (actually 1.99).

    I have only 512 MB of Rambus RAM.

    My OS is XP Pro SP 3.

    I use a corded PS/2 mouse.

    I realize that the problem *might* be insufficient RAM, but what is the
    connection between my mouse and Avast that would cause the former to hang?

    Irrespective of cause, is there any way to maintain Avast without affecting
    my mouse?

    I appreciate any and all constructive feedback.

    Regards,

    IHT
    Internet Highway Traveler, Nov 5, 2009

  2. Internet Highway Traveler

    PeeCee Guest

    "Internet Highway Traveler" <>
    wrote in message news:hcvej5$aav$-september.org...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have encountered a problem that I hope that readers of this NG can help
    > me resolve.
    >
    > Due to my subscription to Norton AV 2010 expiring tomorrow, I decided to
    > uninstall it so as to try Avast (free) AV.
    >
    > I uninstalled Norton through Add/Remove, and then used its Removal Tool to
    > complete the task.
    >
    > After doing the above, I downloaded Avast, rebooted, and then obtained my
    > licence key which I then entered into the software.
    >
    > When I then attempted to drag and drop the desktop Avast icon into my "AV"
    > folder, the icon did not move from its place on the desktop; furthermore,
    > the same icon, as well as my mouse cursor, froze over the folder into
    > which I wanted to drop the icon.
    >
    > I then had to press Ctrl - Alt - Delete to activate the Task Manager.
    >
    > Under Application, only "drag" appeared and its status was Not Running.
    >
    > I then restarted my PC through Task Manager.
    >
    > I once again attempted to drag and drop the icon, but the result was the
    > same, namely, unsuccessful.
    >
    > I rebooted through Task Manager, as Start - Shutdown - Restart was
    > unavailable to me due to my frozen mouse.
    >
    > After I rebooted, I avoided dragging anything; instead, I right-clicked a
    > TXT doc on my desktop. Upon doing so, the cursor changed to that of a
    > stationary hourglass and just hung, being frozen.
    >
    > I once again had to use Task Manager to reboot, and I again encountered
    > the same hourglass when right-clicking the doc.
    >
    > I do not have any AV or software firewalls on my PC.
    >
    > The firewall that I do have is part of my ISP-provided 2Wire 2701HG-G
    > modem/router/firewall.
    >
    > My PC is a Dell 8200 which I purchased in early 2002.
    >
    > It is a P4 running at 2 GHz (actually 1.99).
    >
    > I have only 512 MB of Rambus RAM.
    >
    > My OS is XP Pro SP 3.
    >
    > I use a corded PS/2 mouse.
    >
    > I realize that the problem *might* be insufficient RAM, but what is the
    > connection between my mouse and Avast that would cause the former to hang?
    >
    > Irrespective of cause, is there any way to maintain Avast without
    > affecting my mouse?
    >
    > I appreciate any and all constructive feedback.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > IHT

    Probably a duff download/install.
    Just uninstall, reboot & reinstall.
    If you have the same problem consider one of the other freeware AV's
    AVG
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    Avira
    etc

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Nov 5, 2009

  3. Internet Highway Traveler wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have encountered a problem that I hope that readers of this NG can help me
    > resolve.
    >
    > Due to my subscription to Norton AV 2010 expiring tomorrow, I decided to
    > uninstall it so as to try Avast (free) AV.
    >
    > I uninstalled Norton through Add/Remove, and then used its Removal Tool to
    > complete the task.
    >
    > After doing the above, I downloaded Avast, rebooted, and then obtained my
    > licence key which I then entered into the software.
    >
    > When I then attempted to drag and drop the desktop Avast icon into my "AV"
    > folder, the icon did not move from its place on the desktop; furthermore,
    > the same icon, as well as my mouse cursor, froze over the folder into which
    > I wanted to drop the icon.
    >
    > I then had to press Ctrl - Alt - Delete to activate the Task Manager.
    >
    > Under Application, only "drag" appeared and its status was Not Running.
    >
    > I then restarted my PC through Task Manager.
    >
    > I once again attempted to drag and drop the icon, but the result was the
    > same, namely, unsuccessful.
    >
    > I rebooted through Task Manager, as Start - Shutdown - Restart was
    > unavailable to me due to my frozen mouse.
    >
    > After I rebooted, I avoided dragging anything; instead, I right-clicked a
    > TXT doc on my desktop. Upon doing so, the cursor changed to that of a
    > stationary hourglass and just hung, being frozen.
    >
    > I once again had to use Task Manager to reboot, and I again encountered the
    > same hourglass when right-clicking the doc.
    >
    > I do not have any AV or software firewalls on my PC.
    >
    > The firewall that I do have is part of my ISP-provided 2Wire 2701HG-G
    > modem/router/firewall.
    >
    > My PC is a Dell 8200 which I purchased in early 2002.
    >
    > It is a P4 running at 2 GHz (actually 1.99).
    >
    > I have only 512 MB of Rambus RAM.
    >
    > My OS is XP Pro SP 3.
    >
    > I use a corded PS/2 mouse.
    >
    > I realize that the problem *might* be insufficient RAM, but what is the
    > connection between my mouse and Avast that would cause the former to hang?
    >
    > Irrespective of cause, is there any way to maintain Avast without affecting
    > my mouse?
    >
    > I appreciate any and all constructive feedback.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > IHT

    Yer prolly pwn3d. After you installed Avast some malware is hijacking
    your system
    to prevent youfrom running it.

    Might boot in safe mode and try to run a scan.

    <shrugs>

    --
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S39MhPrLQz4

    www.snuhwolf.9f.com | http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

    _..._ ___ ___ ___ ___ _..._
    ,' `::. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,' `::.
    : `::: `:: `:: `:: `:: `:::
    : .::: .:: .:: .:: .:: .:::
    : .:::`. .;' `. .;' `. .;'.`. .;': .:::
    : .::: `.' .`.'.: `.' ::`.' :. .:::
    :. .::' ::: : `: .:::
    `: .:: : : .::'
    : .:: . :. .::
    : ::' `: .::.
    .\ `: ,: :. : .::.:
    :.\ :. :.: :`: .' .::.:
    ::`. : :':: : `: : .;'.:
    : `.; :'.:: : :: ;:' ::
    . :' .::. .: .:: :
    : :' ::: :' .:: .
    : `:: : .::
    :' .::. .: .:::
    : .::: ,:. .:. :' .:::
    : .:::,' `:. ,' `:.: .:::
    : .::: ::: ::: .:::
    : .::: ::: ::: .:::
    `._ .::'.`._.::' `._.::'.`._ .::' _ Seal _
    ~~~ :: :: ~~~
    §ñühw¤£f, Nov 5, 2009
  4. "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > Internet Highway Traveler wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have encountered a problem that I hope that readers of this NG can help
    >> me resolve.
    >>
    >> Due to my subscription to Norton AV 2010 expiring tomorrow, I decided to
    >> uninstall it so as to try Avast (free) AV.
    >>
    >> I uninstalled Norton through Add/Remove, and then used its Removal Tool
    >> to complete the task.
    >>
    >> After doing the above, I downloaded Avast, rebooted, and then obtained my
    >> licence key which I then entered into the software.
    >>
    >> When I then attempted to drag and drop the desktop Avast icon into my
    >> "AV" folder, the icon did not move from its place on the desktop;
    >> furthermore, the same icon, as well as my mouse cursor, froze over the
    >> folder into which I wanted to drop the icon.
    >>
    >> I then had to press Ctrl - Alt - Delete to activate the Task Manager.
    >>
    >> Under Application, only "drag" appeared and its status was Not Running.
    >>
    >> I then restarted my PC through Task Manager.
    >>
    >> I once again attempted to drag and drop the icon, but the result was the
    >> same, namely, unsuccessful.
    >>
    >> I rebooted through Task Manager, as Start - Shutdown - Restart was
    >> unavailable to me due to my frozen mouse.
    >>
    >> After I rebooted, I avoided dragging anything; instead, I right-clicked a
    >> TXT doc on my desktop. Upon doing so, the cursor changed to that of a
    >> stationary hourglass and just hung, being frozen.
    >>
    >> I once again had to use Task Manager to reboot, and I again encountered
    >> the same hourglass when right-clicking the doc.
    >>
    >> I do not have any AV or software firewalls on my PC.
    >>
    >> The firewall that I do have is part of my ISP-provided 2Wire 2701HG-G
    >> modem/router/firewall.
    >>
    >> My PC is a Dell 8200 which I purchased in early 2002.
    >>
    >> It is a P4 running at 2 GHz (actually 1.99).
    >>
    >> I have only 512 MB of Rambus RAM.
    >>
    >> My OS is XP Pro SP 3.
    >>
    >> I use a corded PS/2 mouse.
    >>
    >> I realize that the problem *might* be insufficient RAM, but what is the
    >> connection between my mouse and Avast that would cause the former to
    >> hang?
    >>
    >> Irrespective of cause, is there any way to maintain Avast without
    >> affecting my mouse?
    >>
    >> I appreciate any and all constructive feedback.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> IHT
    >>

    > Yer prolly pwn3d. After you installed Avast some malware is hijacking your
    > system
    > to prevent youfrom running it.
    >
    > Might boot in safe mode and try to run a scan.
    >
    > <shrugs>

    That means it must have come calling before Avast and sat and waited like
    ninja?
    Avast is a target becoz its so good?
    They didnt write a malawre for Noton becoz why bother, it duffs up your
    system enough as it is? lol ..
    Zu Arsschlaark!, Nov 5, 2009
  5. Thank you for your constructive comments.

    I uninstalled and re-installed Avast twice, but the "frozen mouse" matter
    occurred over and over.

    After uninstalling Avast for the last time, I installed Avira AntiVir
    Personal (free).

    Not only did it function without causing conflict, it also located two
    instances of W95/CIH on my slave drive.

    McAfee and Norton never detected them over the many years that I had those
    AVs.

    If locating W95/CIH does not constitute a false positive, then it's hats off
    to the folks at Avira!

    IHT
    Internet Highway Traveler, Nov 6, 2009
  6. Internet Highway Traveler

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 10:08:33 -0500, Internet Highway Traveler wrote:

    > Thank you for your constructive comments.

    To whom are you speaking? Constructive comments about what?

    > I uninstalled and re-installed Avast twice, but the "frozen mouse"
    > matter occurred over and over.

    What "frozen mouse" matter?

    > After uninstalling Avast for the last time, I installed Avira AntiVir
    > Personal (free).

    Now *that's* a random non sequitur statement if ever I saw one.

    > Not only did it function without causing conflict, it also located two
    > instances of W95/CIH on my slave drive.
    >
    > McAfee and Norton never detected them over the many years that I had
    > those AVs.
    >
    > If locating W95/CIH does not constitute a false positive, then it's hats
    > off to the folks at Avira!
    >
    > IHT

    Lots of stuff there, none of it apropos to anything,

    Might have helped to understand what you wrote if you tried quoting
    noticed the 'Re:' in the subject line.

    --
    Elmo McElroy: If I wanted cuisine, I'd have gone to Paris
    Felix DeSouza: You can still go to France. It's full of pricks. They hate
    Aardvark, Nov 6, 2009
  7. Internet Highway Traveler

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 17:39:43 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> Might have helped to understand what you wrote if you tried quoting
    >> that I noticed the 'Re:' in the subject line.

    > That is a very interesting comment (to me) Aardvark. This is the
    > original post (complete with Header info.).

    Why the hell you insist on reposting other peoples' posts lock, stock and
    barrel is beyond me. Especially posts from other groups.

    >I wonder why *you* do not see
    > it.

    I did see it. And I read the whole fucking post.

    > Any idea? Anyone?

    Perhaps Aardvark has his newsreader configured to only show new posts when
    he enters a newsgroup. That is, posts that were made between the time he
    last left the group, leaving all posts there marked 'read', and came back
    to that group.

    Aardvark, Nov 6, 2009
  8. Internet Highway Traveler

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 18:51:10 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:

    >>> That is a very interesting comment (to me) Aardvark. This is the
    >>> original post (complete with Header info.).

    >> Why the hell you insist on reposting other peoples' posts lock, stock
    >> and barrel is beyond me. Especially posts from other groups.

    > That post was from *this* group (wasn't it?)

    Yes. But you generally copy/paste posts from other groups.

    > *Your* complete header/message posted below.

    Why do you think you need to repost all of that? If I, or anyone else,
    want to see any previous posts or their headers they only have to look at
    the previous posts. They certainly don't need for you to copy/paste them
    into one of your posts.

    >>> I wonder why *you* do not see
    >>> it.

    >> I did see it. And I read the whole fucking post.

    > Err! And *you* are ..... whom?

    Now you're having trouble reading my nym in my headers. I don't believe it.

    >>> Any idea? Anyone?

    >> Perhaps Aardvark has his newsreader configured to only show new posts
    >> when he enters a newsgroup. That is, posts that were made between the
    >> time he last left the group, leaving all posts there marked 'read', and
    >> came back to that group.

    > *you* - the poster - imply that you are *not* Aardvark ........

    No. You asked 'Anyone' (that's anyone else, other than me) if they had any
    idea why Aardvark (that's me) had trouble understanding a previous post in
    this thread. Rather than tax Anyone's brain, I decided to offer an answer
    to your question on his behalf. As I was answering on behalf of Anyone, I
    had to refer to myself in the third person.

    In this case, I think 'Anyone' got the answer spot on. He's a clever
    fucker, that Anyone

    > But ..... here on *my* computer, you are! See:
    > http://i33.tinypic.com/dgyrt.jpg

    Not interested in looking at your links. I've told you before.

    > Please explain yourself.

    I have no need to explain myself to you, or to anyone (he seems to
    understand me fine as it is).

    Aardvark, Nov 6, 2009