Why wont my XP machine work anymore ??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by CG-P, May 21, 2005.

  1. CG-P

    CG-P Guest

    I am having problems with my PC.

    It has worked fine for well over a year but suddenly -

    It will boot and 'live' in the BIOS setting for as long as I care to leave
    it there, it will boot and 'live' in XP 'safe mode' as long as I care to
    leave it there.

    If I boot in 'normal' XP it will 'live' in XP (normal mode) as long as I set
    my 32mb Matrox dual head card to single headand 600x400 16 bit colours.
    If I try a higher setting I get the XP splash screen with the blue bar
    moving across (XP Pro) and then the machine switches off - it will not re
    boot until I switch the power off/on.

    I have a 300W power supply - I have tried a new power pack (another 300w
    supply)and that gives the same results, I have tried different RAM and a new
    Hard drive (clean install) all with the same results.

    When I look in the BIOS it shows the +3volt as being 2.65volt - could this
    be the problem ?

    I have a Asus A7N8X mother board, a 2500 Athlon XP CPU and 512 Mb RAM

    Has my Matrox card 'died', is it my M/board, my CPU or do I suddenly need
    more power to run the system - ie more than 300W

    There have been no changes to the hardware

    Chris

    CG-P, May 21, 2005

  2. CG-P wrote:

    > I am having problems with my PC.

    > It has worked fine for well over a year but suddenly -

    > It will boot and 'live' in the BIOS setting for as long as I care to leave
    > it there, it will boot and 'live' in XP 'safe mode' as long as I care to
    > leave it there.

    > If I boot in 'normal' XP it will 'live' in XP (normal mode) as long as I set
    > my 32mb Matrox dual head card to single headand 600x400 16 bit colours.
    > If I try a higher setting I get the XP splash screen with the blue bar
    > moving across (XP Pro) and then the machine switches off - it will not re
    > boot until I switch the power off/on.

    > I have a 300W power supply - I have tried a new power pack (another 300w
    > supply)and that gives the same results, I have tried different RAM and a new
    > Hard drive (clean install) all with the same results.

    > When I look in the BIOS it shows the +3volt as being 2.65volt - could this
    > be the problem ?

    With each power supply?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 21, 2005

  3. CG-P wrote:

    > I am having problems with my PC.
    >
    > It has worked fine for well over a year but suddenly -
    >
    > It will boot and 'live' in the BIOS setting for as long as I care to leave
    > it there, it will boot and 'live' in XP 'safe mode' as long as I care to
    > leave it there.
    >
    > If I boot in 'normal' XP it will 'live' in XP (normal mode) as long as I set
    > my 32mb Matrox dual head card to single headand 600x400 16 bit colours.
    > If I try a higher setting I get the XP splash screen with the blue bar
    > moving across (XP Pro) and then the machine switches off - it will not re
    > boot until I switch the power off/on.
    >

    > I have a 300W power supply - I have tried a new power pack (another 300w
    > supply)and that gives the same results, I have tried different RAM and a new
    > Hard drive (clean install) all with the same results.
    >

    > When I look in the BIOS it shows the +3volt as being 2.65volt - could this
    > be the problem ?
    >

    > I have a Asus A7N8X mother board, a 2500 Athlon XP CPU and 512 Mb RAM
    >
    > Has my Matrox card 'died', is it my M/board, my CPU or do I suddenly need
    > more power to run the system - ie more than 300W

    Sure sounds like video card problems to me. You can try the old update
    the drivers routine to see if it's any help. But I'm guessing a new
    video card is in your immediate future.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 21, 2005
  4. CG-P

    CG-P Guest

    Yes - with both supplies - that's why I thought it was probably a M/Board
    fault.

    Chris

    CG-P, May 21, 2005
  5. CG-P

    CG-P Guest

    That was my first thought - tried downloading the latest drivers, same
    result. What worries me is that if I buy a new graphics card and it turns
    out to be the M/Board (I think the M/B controls the +3 voltage ??)

    Chris

    CG-P, May 21, 2005
  6. CG-P

    pcbutts1 Guest

    The voltage is fine.

    pcbutts1, May 21, 2005
  7. CG-P

    Aquanaut Guest

    "CG-P" <> wrote in message
    >I am having problems with my PC.
    >
    > It has worked fine for well over a year but suddenly -
    >
    > It will boot and 'live' in the BIOS setting for as long as I care to leave
    > it there, it will boot and 'live' in XP 'safe mode' as long as I care to
    > leave it there.
    >
    > If I boot in 'normal' XP it will 'live' in XP (normal mode) as long as I
    > set my 32mb Matrox dual head card to single headand 600x400 16 bit
    > colours.
    > If I try a higher setting I get the XP splash screen with the blue bar
    > moving across (XP Pro) and then the machine switches off - it will not re
    > boot until I switch the power off/on.
    >

    > I have a 300W power supply - I have tried a new power pack (another 300w
    > supply)and that gives the same results, I have tried different RAM and a
    > new Hard drive (clean install) all with the same results.
    >

    > When I look in the BIOS it shows the +3volt as being 2.65volt - could this
    > be the problem ?
    >

    > I have a Asus A7N8X mother board, a 2500 Athlon XP CPU and 512 Mb RAM
    >
    > Has my Matrox card 'died', is it my M/board, my CPU or do I suddenly need
    > more power to run the system - ie more than 300W
    >
    > There have been no changes to the hardware
    >
    > Chris

    Unistall the matrox card ,physically remove it from the box.
    Reset the bios to use the on board nvidia chip---any better?--you will
    probably need to get the latest m/b drivers also. Should that not improve
    the situation,the motherboard has probably had its day.
    As a side note the 300W power supply is a small one these days,have you
    tried a larger one ?have you tried the matrox in another box?have you put
    the memory in another box?
    As usual check the seating of all cables etc.

    Aquanaut, May 21, 2005
  8. CG-P

    CG-P Guest

    Now I'm confused it seem to be 50/50 between M/B and Graphics card.

    The M/B does not have onboard video so I'm stuck with the Matrox

    Have tried the RAM in another machine = OK

    I'm undecided as it was all OK and then suddenly went odd ! The two main
    culprits seem to be M/B and the Matrox - I have a Geforce fx5200 but can't
    test that as it needs at least 350 watts to run it !

    Too many bl**dy variables !!

    Chris

    CG-P, May 21, 2005
  9. CG-P

    old jon Guest

    "CG-P" <> wrote in message
    >I am having problems with my PC.

    Hi Chris. Most people will not look at their Event Log, and you can
    sometimes pick up clues that point you. So Admin Tools\Event Log, and click
    on any recent errors or warnings. come back. ..J

    old jon, May 21, 2005
  10. CG-P

    Aquanaut Guest

    "CG-P" <> wrote in message
    > Now I'm confused it seem to be 50/50 between M/B and Graphics card.
    >
    > The M/B does not have onboard video so I'm stuck with the Matrox
    >
    > Have tried the RAM in another machine = OK
    >
    > I'm undecided as it was all OK and then suddenly went odd ! The two main
    > culprits seem to be M/B and the Matrox - I have a Geforce fx5200 but can't
    > test that as it needs at least 350 watts to run it !
    >
    > Too many bl**dy variables !!
    >
    > Chris

    Larger power supply will not do you any harm and they are cheap.
    Have you put the matrox in the other box?
    If the fx5200 is an upgrade from your matrox card,get the power supply.
    It may make more financial sense to get a new generic box with mobo etc

    Aquanaut, May 21, 2005