    network settings on both computers, network setup wizards, etc. and
    nothing. Can anyone walk me through it?
    Thank you.
    Shawn, Jul 30, 2006

  2. Shawn

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Shawn wrote:
    > Please forgive my lack of technical knowledge, I'll try to explain the
    > best that I can. I just want to share an internet connection between
    > my 2 home PC's.
    >
    > Both run XP Pro
    > Linksys BEFSR41 Router
    > SBC Yahoo DSL
    > Speedstream 5100 Modem
    >
    > I just can't get them both to connect. Whichever computer is connected
    > to Port 1 connects fine, but that's as far as I can get. Either PC
    > will connect if it's in Port 1. I've experimented with different
    > network settings on both computers, network setup wizards, etc. and
    > nothing. Can anyone walk me through it?
    > Thank you.

    You should do a hard reset of the router. You hold the reset button down
    for 30 seconds or more. You should unplug the power from the router and
    plug it back in. You doing something with some network wizard on XP has
    nothing to do with router.

    The hard reset of the router will set it back to its out the box state,
    so any configuration changes you made are lost and thay will have to be
    done again.

    You should see if the reset of the router fixes your problem.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 30, 2006

  3. Shawn

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-30, Shawn <> wrote:
    > Please forgive my lack of technical knowledge, I'll try to explain the
    > best that I can. I just want to share an internet connection between
    > my 2 home PC's.
    >
    > Both run XP Pro
    > Linksys BEFSR41 Router
    > SBC Yahoo DSL
    > Speedstream 5100 Modem
    >
    > I just can't get them both to connect. Whichever computer is connected
    > to Port 1 connects fine, but that's as far as I can get. Either PC
    > will connect if it's in Port 1. I've experimented with different
    > network settings on both computers, network setup wizards, etc. and
    > nothing. Can anyone walk me through it?
    > Thank you.

    Make sure your router is set up for DHCP and then use the wizards on
    each computer.

    You might want to shut it all down (Power down), then start the modem,
    then start the router, then turn on the computers.

    If your modem was set-up with just a computer initially then you may
    have to clone the MAC address for that computer into your router. Your
    manual and the web interface should lead through all of the steps.

    --
    A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier to program
    in than some that do. -- Dennis M. Ritchie
    Jimchip, Jul 30, 2006
  4. Shawn

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Please forgive my lack of technical knowledge, I'll try to explain the
    > best that I can. I just want to share an internet connection between
    > my 2 home PC's.
    >
    > Both run XP Pro
    > Linksys BEFSR41 Router
    > SBC Yahoo DSL
    > Speedstream 5100 Modem
    >
    > I just can't get them both to connect. Whichever computer is connected
    > to Port 1 connects fine, but that's as far as I can get. Either PC
    > will connect if it's in Port 1. I've experimented with different
    > network settings on both computers, network setup wizards, etc. and
    > nothing. Can anyone walk me through it?
    > Thank you.

    You should do two things:

    1) Press and hold the reset button on the router for 30 seconds.
    This will reset the router to defaults, but you still need
    to setup the router for DSL, and that normally means you
    setup for PPOE authentication in order to get the Router to
    authenticate with the DSL service.

    2) Connect both computers to the router, set their network settings
    to get a DHCP automatic connection.

    3) Do not use the DSL connection software from either PC, the
    router will do this and should be the only device doing
    authentication with the DSL Service.

    Open the router configuration page, the main setup page, configure it to
    work with PPOE, you need the user/password your DSL provider assigned
    you.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Jul 30, 2006
  5. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Thank you so much! I did need to configure the router. Both pc's can
    connect to the net now. The strange thing is, when I go to My Network
    Connections, under Broadband, on both computers, it says DSL Connection
    is disconnected? Is that normal?

    Shawn, Jul 30, 2006
  6. Shawn

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Thank you so much! I did need to configure the router. Both pc's can
    > connect to the net now. The strange thing is, when I go to My Network
    > Connections, under Broadband, on both computers, it says DSL Connection
    > is disconnected? Is that normal?

    Yes, they don't use the DSL connection now, they use the LOCAL NETWORK
    connection.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Jul 30, 2006
  7. Shawn

    ProfGene Guest

    Shawn wrote:
    > Please forgive my lack of technical knowledge, I'll try to explain the
    > best that I can. I just want to share an internet connection between
    > my 2 home PC's.
    >
    > Both run XP Pro
    > Linksys BEFSR41 Router
    > SBC Yahoo DSL
    > Speedstream 5100 Modem
    >
    > I just can't get them both to connect. Whichever computer is connected
    > to Port 1 connects fine, but that's as far as I can get. Either PC
    > will connect if it's in Port 1. I've experimented with different
    > network settings on both computers, network setup wizards, etc. and
    > nothing. Can anyone walk me through it?
    > Thank you.

    Does your router have a setup procedure like one that uses Telnet to get
    the right settings? If the router is setup right there is not much
    problem with the computers as long as the settings are right on both of
    them.
    ProfGene, Aug 1, 2006
  8. ProfGene wrote:

    <SNIP>
    >If the router is setup right there is not much
    > problem with the computers as long as the settings are right on both
    > of them.

    Now there's a drunken observation. ;) LOL

    --
    My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me.
    Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)
    Randall Smith, Aug 1, 2006