    this?

    Thanks,

    Jack
    jackhughes, Jan 2, 2008

  2. Hi
    The Wireless utility in the laptop does not read the make of the Wireless
    hardware but an Identification signal called SSID.
    You neighbors did not bother to change the default SSID that is usually the
    make of the Router.
    Could be that your Wireless Router is Not set for wireless communication, or
    it is already set in a way not known to you.
    Read the manual and check the Router (base station) settings with a wired
    computer.
    Set the Wireless and hopefully it would work.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 2, 2008

  3. jackhughes

    Barb Bowman Guest

    the MN500 was discontinued more than 5 years ago and is old and slow
    (b only) and does not provide the most secure encryption possible.
    you can probably get it to work by logging in to 192.168.2.1
    (default password is admin )

    and setting up the wireless and using Windows to connect to the
    network (and not the HP utility).

    I would strongly recommend buying a new router that supports at
    least 802.11g and WPA2.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Jan 2, 2008
  4. jackhughes

    jackhughes Guest

    Re: Why won't my new HP Laptop with Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLan not r

    Thank you for taking the time to respond. I should have mentioned that I did
    verify that the router was set up for wireless communications, and the base
    station has been reset multiple times. I will check out the links that you
    provided.

    Thanks,

    Jack

    jackhughes, Jan 2, 2008