    Sorry for the crosspost, didn't know which group this would be most
    applicable for......

    Thanks

    Johnny8977, Oct 17, 2004

  2. "Johnny8977" <***NOSPAM***> wrote in message
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I've just bought a DVD rewriter to try and backup some of the junk on my
    > HDD.
    >
    > I'm also trying to backup some DVDs. I'm using DVD Ripper to copy the
    > files
    > to my HDD, and then CloneDVD to format (Or whatever it does) the files and
    > then burn to DVD.
    >
    > But, they won't play on my reg 2 DVD player, but they will play on my PC.
    > Any ideas why?

    not all dvd players are up to the task of playing burnt discs - dvds or cds.
    and those that can can't always play all formats. - eg some will play
    dvd-r's but not dvd+rw

    you probably have one of those but telling us the name of your player will
    help.

    --
    Gareth.
    Quote of the day.

    the dog from that film you saw, Oct 17, 2004

  3. Johnny8977

    Gardner Guest

    Assuming there isn't a problem with your burning process, the most likely
    explanation is that your DVD player won't play home recorded disks.

    As far as DVD players go, the rules are

    cheaper is better

    don't buy big name brands, especially Sony (too hung up on copyright
    protection)

    if it doesn't say it will play the media type it won't
    (ideally should claim to play dvd, dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd-rw, vcd, svcd, cd,
    cd-r, cd-rw, DivX)

    it should also be multi-region or multi-region hackable

    I have been disappointed by Sony, by Panasonic, etc. and delighted by Ronin
    players.

    You appear to be using CloneDVD without be clear as to what it does. It rips
    DVDs and defeats copyright protection, creating info, backup and vob files
    in a VIDEO_TS folder. Make sure your burner knows where this folder is and
    burns the files in the VIDEO_TS folder. (I assume the DVD you create plays
    on the computer as a DVD)

    Gardner, Oct 17, 2004
  4. Johnny8977

    Sofad Guest

    > Assuming there isn't a problem with your burning process, the most
    > likely explanation is that your DVD player won't play home recorded
    > disks.
    >
    > As far as DVD players go, the rules are
    >
    > cheaper is better
    >
    > don't buy big name brands, especially Sony (too hung up on copyright
    > protection)
    >
    > if it doesn't say it will play the media type it won't
    > (ideally should claim to play dvd, dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd-rw, vcd, svcd,
    > cd, cd-r, cd-rw, DivX)
    >
    > it should also be multi-region or multi-region hackable
    >
    > I have been disappointed by Sony, by Panasonic, etc. and delighted by
    > Ronin players.

    I would second that - I had a Panasonic RV32 (£90 or so about 3 years ago
    just for the player) which wouldn't play my home-made discs. I recently
    bought a "Tevion" (£60 including a very nice 5.1 home theatre system) from
    Aldi which plays them perfectly.

    Sofad, Oct 17, 2004
  5. Johnny8977

    luminos Guest

    I find it important to use the Video DVD option in Nero for burning after
    draging the video_ts folder to the red video_ts folder. Your DVD players
    may be reacting to what they think is a data disc rather than a structured
    DVD disc. Most software players handle either one.

    luminos, Oct 17, 2004