Why won't it boot from copy of C drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by EW105, Apr 24, 2005.

  1. EW105

    EW105 Guest

    I bought an HP DVD movie writer which is causing me a lot of head
    scratching. I want to transfer vhs video onto DVD with this thing. The
    editing software uses the C drive as workspace for the video to be
    edited and my C drive partition doesn't have the room but the D drive
    partition does (120 gig).
    I tried making the C drive bigger using Partition magic but it said it
    couldn't ( no explanation given). I called Hp and they say there's no
    way to make the software install the video onto D instead of C.

    I installed a second new hard drive, made a big partition of 10 gig for
    the C drive ono it, and using a duplicating software, made a copy of my
    original c drive onto this second HDD, but when I remove the original
    HDD, make the other the master HDD, the computer won't boot up from it.
    Why would that be? I am running Win XP. The program I used to duplicate
    the C drive was software that came with a Western Digital HDD.
    All I get at boot up is 4 beeps. When I check the properties of the
    second HDD (copy) it shows it as bootable. I'm trying to avoid doing a
    slow install of Win XP and all the drivers, downloadable updates ect.
    on the second HDD.

    Help and advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    EW105, Apr 24, 2005

  2. EW105

    docmill Guest

    EW105 <> wrote in news:ew105-9F10B3.01134124042005@nr-
    tor01.bellnexxia.net:

    > I bought an HP DVD movie writer which is causing me a lot of head
    > scratching. I want to transfer vhs video onto DVD with this thing. The
    > editing software uses the C drive as workspace for the video to be
    > edited and my C drive partition doesn't have the room but the D drive
    > partition does (120 gig).
    > I tried making the C drive bigger using Partition magic but it said it
    > couldn't ( no explanation given).

    Auuh, no explination needed.

    I called Hp and they say there's no
    > way to make the software install the video onto D instead of C.
    >
    > I installed a second new hard drive, made a big partition of 10 gig for
    > the C drive ono it, and using a duplicating software, made a copy of my
    > original c drive onto this second HDD, but when I remove the original
    > HDD, make the other the master HDD, the computer won't boot up from it.
    > Why would that be? I am running Win XP. The program I used to duplicate
    > the C drive was software that came with a Western Digital HDD.
    > All I get at boot up is 4 beeps. When I check the properties of the
    > second HDD (copy) it shows it as bootable. I'm trying to avoid doing a
    > slow install of Win XP and all the drivers, downloadable updates ect.
    > on the second HDD.

    Because you're running XP

    --
    +++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
    docmill, Apr 24, 2005

  3. EW105

    elaich Guest

    EW105 <> wrote in news:ew105-9F10B3.01134124042005@nr-
    tor01.bellnexxia.net:

    > I am running Win XP.

    Yes, you are. Meet the operating system that takes away the ability of the
    user to decide what their PC will do. Your PC is just a robot controlled
    remotely by Mr. Bill Gates in Redmond, WA.

    --
    "No sports writers were harmed during the making of this post. And what I
    want to know is - why not?"
    elaich, Apr 24, 2005
  4. EW105

    MrGrumpy Guest

    I find it v.hard to believe that the software can only be installed to C:
    Are you saying there isnt a Custom Install option?
    If that is the case I would return it for a refund as it is not fit for the
    purpose - unless it states specifically on the box it can only be installed
    to C

    MrGrumpy, Apr 24, 2005
  5. EW105

    Guest Guest

    "EW105" <> wrote in message
    >I bought an HP DVD movie writer which is causing me a lot of head
    > scratching. I want to transfer vhs video onto DVD with this thing. The
    > editing software uses the C drive as workspace for the video to be
    > edited and my C drive partition doesn't have the room but the D drive
    > partition does (120 gig).
    > I tried making the C drive bigger using Partition magic but it said it
    > couldn't ( no explanation given).

    You have 2 partitions on the drive that consume all of the disk space.
    Where did you think you were going to get the free space to expand the
    C: partition? You'll have to shrink D: (and then move it to the end of
    the disk) so there will be some free space into which you can enlarge
    the C: partition.

    > I called Hp and they say there's no
    > way to make the software install the video onto D instead of C.

    Is HP the vendor for the "editing software" that you didn't bother to
    name? If not, what did HP say as to why you cannot make this unnamed
    editing software use the D: partition?

    > I installed a second new hard drive, made a big partition of 10 gig
    > for
    > the C drive ono it, and using a duplicating software,

    And again you make no mention of WHAT is this "duplicating software".
    If you just copied files (i.e., a logical copy by reading through the
    file system on the source drive and then writing to the file system in
    the new partition on the second drive), you probably didn't copy any
    hidden or locked files and you wouldn't have copied the boot sectors for
    the partitions. You might also not have updated the partition table to
    mark the new *primary* partition as the active one and ran FIXMBR or
    "FDISK /MBR" to ensure there is a bootstrap program in the MBR (master
    boot record) in the 2nd drive.

    > made a copy of my
    > original c drive onto this second HDD, but when I remove the original
    > HDD, make the other the master HDD, the computer won't boot up from
    > it.

    Is this second drive, now the only hard drive after removing the
    original first drive, in the same physical cabling sequence as the
    original drive? The boot.ini file used during bootup designates the
    drives by their physical position (and the partitions, too). So moving
    drives around can result in boot.ini no longer pointing at the correct
    physical drive and physical partition. And just what does "won't boot"
    mean? What happens when you try to boot using the second drive (now the
    only drive)?

    Is there another drive attached to the same cable as the new drive? If
    not, some drives won't function when set to Master (because they then
    expect to manage a slave drive). If it is the only drive on the cable,
    check how it is supposed to be jumpered for that condition. Looks like
    we are supposed to guess that the new drive is a Western Digital drive
    from you late mention of using an unidentified Western Digital copy
    program. See http://tinyurl.com/8s2qw for WD jumpering info. If you
    jumpered it as Dual (Master) but it is the only drive on that data cable
    then you jumpered it wrong.

    > Why would that be? I am running Win XP. The program I used to
    > duplicate
    > the C drive was software that came with a Western Digital HDD.

    Okay, it is some unidentified utility that came with the WD drive (which
    presumably is the new drive although "came with a" could mean you got it
    with some other drive, like the first old one). Could be WD's copy
    program just copied the partition without also copying the partition's
    boot sector (i.e., it was a logical copy instead of a physical copy).
    Since you obviously have PartitionMagic, was there a reason why you did
    not use its "Copy a partiton" function? Running FIXBOOT from the
    Recovery Console would fix that. It is likely there is no bootstrap
    program in the MBR because an OS was not installed on that drive which
    would've updated the MBR's bootstrap area (first 460 bytes of sector 0
    on the drive). Running FIXMBR from the Recovery Console would fix that.

    > All I get at boot up is 4 beeps.

    You didn't mention what BIOS brand you have on your motherboard. You
    can find beep codes at http://bioscentral.com/. Presumably you can't
    find the manual for your motherboard or computer to see what it says
    regarding beep codes, or it is a crappy manual that doesn't define the
    beep codes, and, rather peculiarly, HP refused to tell you.

    You don't see a message showing the video BIOS initialized? There is no
    summary screen after the POST showing your detected drives and interrupt
    table? Sounds like you screwed up some other cabling, moved something
    inside, left out the video card (or didn't push it all the way in), or
    zapped the computer with static electricity due to poor or no
    anti-static measures. You did remember to plug the data and power
    cables into the new drive, right, and that you didn't knock them off a
    second drive, like a CD drive on the same cable? ;-)

    > When I check the properties of the
    > second HDD (copy) it shows it as bootable.

    Checked the properties where? Does that mean the new (second) hard
    drive (which is now the only hard drive) has the partition listed as a
    primary partition in the partition table and it is marked as the active
    partition?

    > I'm trying to avoid doing a
    > slow install of Win XP and all the drivers, downloadable updates ect.
    > on the second HDD.

    ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
    For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.
    Guest, Apr 24, 2005
  6. EW105

    neville Guest

    Click on C; in my computer and drag onto the D; symbol.That will probably
    work.

    neville, Apr 24, 2005