    Does any one know of one that will? Seems like an obvious feature to
    add, and one I'd be very happy to have. Are there some technical
    limitations that prevent this?
    Joe Pendyck, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Joe Pendyck

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Joe Pendyck" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Sorry if this is a stupid question.
    > It seems like every DVD player out there plays mp3s from CD-R.
    > Why hasn't someone made one that plays mp3s from a DVD-R?
    > Does any one know of one that will? Seems like an obvious feature to
    > add, and one I'd be very happy to have. Are there some technical
    > limitations that prevent this?

    The Pioneer DV-563A does this. See http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php
    for a great resource on players and their capabilities.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Dec 19, 2003

  3. Joe Pendyck

    Mark Guest

    I get exactly what you mean - why does the player always expect a DVD disc
    to be video and not data? I emailed Harman/Kardon about this and they
    totally missed the question and told me to burn MP3 files onto a CD-R. I'm
    hoping for a firmware upgrade to allow DVD-R MP3 play, but won't hold my
    breath.
    Mark.

    Mark, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Joe Pendyck

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > Joe Pendyck wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry if this is a stupid question.
    > > It seems like every DVD player out there plays mp3s from CD-R.
    > > Why hasn't someone made one that plays mp3s from a DVD-R?

    > Or wait, how about one that'll play CD-R from a DVD-R?
    >
    > (IOW, you can't tell a disk to be two completely different things--
    > It gets a psychological complex if you do.)

    What? You can burn as many MP3 files to a DVD as it will hold. Don't confuse
    the medium with its contents.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Joe Pendyck wrote:

    > Sorry if this is a stupid question.
    > It seems like every DVD player out there plays mp3s from CD-R.
    > Why hasn't someone made one that plays mp3s from a DVD-R?

    Or wait, how about one that'll play CD-R from a DVD-R?

    (IOW, you can't tell a disk to be two completely different things--
    It gets a psychological complex if you do.)

    Derek Janssen (and then the therapy bills...)
    Derek Janssen, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Mark wrote:

    > I get exactly what you mean - why does the player always expect a DVD disc
    > to be video and not data? I emailed Harman/Kardon about this and they
    > totally missed the question and told me to burn MP3 files onto a CD-R.

    <conspiratory finger>
    Yeesss, that's just what that player of yours's ex-PECTING you to do,
    isn't it??...

    Derek Janssen (shows you what *I* know--I'd have put all the data on the
    CD, and leave the video for the DVD)
    Derek Janssen, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Joe Pendyck

    Joe Pendyck Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I actually considered getting this player
    because it plays DVD-Audio & SACD. I guess this clinches it.

    Joe Pendyck, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Joe Pendyck

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Two of my four DVD players do this. Checkout www.dvdrhelp.com

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Joe Pendyck

    ukaloo Guest

    "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Joe Pendyck" <> wrote in message
    > > Sorry if this is a stupid question.
    > > It seems like every DVD player out there plays mp3s from CD-R.
    > > Why hasn't someone made one that plays mp3s from a DVD-R?
    > > Does any one know of one that will? Seems like an obvious feature to
    > > add, and one I'd be very happy to have. Are there some technical
    > > limitations that prevent this?

    > The Pioneer DV-563A does this. See http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php
    > for a great resource on players and their capabilities.
    >
    > RichC

    Rich,

    I want to upgrade my dvd player and this one looks like it, thanks to you.
    Three questions though:

    1) Long file names OK ?
    2) Random play in one folder ? Across folders ?
    3) Is there random button on remote control ?
    4) Direct access to any song ? Can you key in say 155 to play that song?

    haha, sorry that's 4 questions. More later :)
    Thanks, Uka.
    ukaloo, Dec 20, 2003
  10. Joe Pendyck

    Rich Clark Guest

    > 1) Long file names OK ?

    Yes

    > 2) Random play in one folder ? Across folders ?

    Yes, yes. There is a 999 file limit.

    > 3) Is there random button on remote control ?

    There is a "play mode" button, then you select "random" from a menu. You
    need a video monitor.

    > 4) Direct access to any song ? Can you key in say 155 to play that song?

    You have to use the "disc navigator," which is a video file navigator. Same
    for jpegs.

    Disclaimer: compatibility with various DVD media and formats is never
    guaranteed.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Dec 20, 2003
  11. Joe Pendyck

    ukaloo Guest

    Re: Why won't DVD-Rs with MP3 work? (Pioneer DV-563A)

    "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message news:p...
    > > 1) Long file names OK ?

    > Yes
    >
    > > 2) Random play in one folder ? Across folders ?

    > Yes, yes. There is a 999 file limit.
    >
    > > 3) Is there random button on remote control ?

    > There is a "play mode" button, then you select "random" from a menu. You
    > need a video monitor.
    >
    > > 4) Direct access to any song ? Can you key in say 155 to play that song?

    > You have to use the "disc navigator," which is a video file navigator. Same
    > for jpegs.
    >
    > Disclaimer: compatibility with various DVD media and formats is never
    > guaranteed.
    >
    > RichC

    (Concerning the Pioneer DV-563A player)
    Thanks RichC, you're a big help.
    This could be my Christmas present for myself _ :)
    Merry Christmas, from Uka.
    ukaloo, Dec 21, 2003
  12. Joe Pendyck

    Moldy Guest

    <> wrote:

    >"Joe Pendyck" <> wrote in message
    >> Sorry if this is a stupid question.
    >> It seems like every DVD player out there plays mp3s from CD-R.
    >> Why hasn't someone made one that plays mp3s from a DVD-R?
    >> Does any one know of one that will? Seems like an obvious feature to
    >> add, and one I'd be very happy to have. Are there some technical
    >> limitations that prevent this?

    >The Pioneer DV-563A does this. See http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php
    >for a great resource on players and their capabilities.

    Can't find a 563A here in the UK, is the 565A the same player?

    http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=4708

    TIA

    --

    Moldy

    The only difference between crap and art, is that art has brass name plates below it
    Moldy, Dec 23, 2003
  13. Joe Pendyck

    Rich Clark Guest

    Rich Clark, Dec 23, 2003
  14. Joe Pendyck

    Moldy Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:19:38 -0500, "Rich Clark"
    <> wrote:

    >"Moldy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Can't find a 563A here in the UK, is the 565A the same player?
    >>
    >> http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=4708

    >Appears very similar. Same specs, as far as I can tell, and the same remote.
    >Looks almost the same physically.

    Cheers!

    Moldy, Dec 30, 2003
  15. Joe Pendyck

    Eric R. Guest

    Raw mpeg files [was Re: Why won't DVD-Rs with MP3 work?]

    Joe Pendyck <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Sorry if this is a stupid question.
    > It seems like every DVD player out there plays mp3s from CD-R.
    > Why hasn't someone made one that plays mp3s from a DVD-R?
    > Does any one know of one that will? Seems like an obvious feature to
    > add, and one I'd be very happy to have. Are there some technical
    > limitations that prevent this?

    Some of the old Apexes would do this. They were badly built, but they
    could handle anything you threw at them.

    I really loved that they could play raw mpeg 1 & 2 files. As far ask I
    know, virtually no newer region 1 player (including the newer Apexes)
    can play raw mpeg files. A real shame too, as it made it a lot easier
    for me to "proof" my videos when I was doing video editing.

    -Eric
    Eric R., Dec 30, 2003