    --
    Proud to be a pieriansipist
    http://maxqnzs.com/References.html

    Raúl Muñiz, Jun 6, 2008

  2. Raúl Muñiz

    RL Guest

    � wrote:
    > My keyboard has a button to launch the default Calc app. Since I have
    > been unable to find how to change that default to one of my choosing,
    > I thought I would simply replace the calc.exe in Windows/System32 with
    > the exe of my preferred calculator app, and rename that app. "calc.exe"
    > Of course, that would require removing the Windows Calc, and the damn
    > thing just won't die. I have tried "Add/Remove Windows Components"
    > several times, and every time, "calc.exe" is right back where it
    > started. I've googled this, and can't find a solution. Who will rid me
    > of this meddlesome piece?

    Calc.exe is a Windows system file, and the OS will restore it if deleted.

    Search for "system file protection" or "system file checker" and you
    should find details relevant to your version of Windows.

    RL

    RL, Jun 6, 2008

  3. Raúl Muñiz

    Raúl Muñiz Guest

    RL wrote:

    > � wrote:
    > > My keyboard has a button to launch the default Calc app. Since I
    > > have been unable to find how to change that default to one of my
    > > choosing, I thought I would simply replace the calc.exe in
    > > Windows/System32 with the exe of my preferred calculator app, and
    > > rename that app. "calc.exe" Of course, that would require removing
    > > the Windows Calc, and the damn thing just won't die. I have tried
    > > "Add/Remove Windows Components" several times, and every time,
    > > "calc.exe" is right back where it started. I've googled this, and
    > > can't find a solution. Who will rid me of this meddlesome piece?

    > Calc.exe is a Windows system file, and the OS will restore it if
    > deleted.
    >
    > Search for "system file protection" or "system file checker" and you
    > should find details relevant to your version of Windows.
    >
    > RL

    Thanks, I'd forgotten about sfc. I would rather just have changed the
    default calc, but logitech's site gave no clues, and I have been unable
    to find any info on how to modify the keyboard's settings.

    Raúl Muñiz, Jun 6, 2008
  4. In article <>, Raúl Muñiz did write:

    > I have tried "Add/Remove Windows Components"
    > several times, and every time, "calc.exe" is right back where it
    > started.

    You can't remove it, because it's a core part of the Dimdows kernel. You
    know how you have drivers for your storage devices, expansion interfaces
    and so on? Well, Calc is a driver for arithmetic. Remove it, and Dimdows
    won't be able to do any calculations. Even Excel uses Calc to do all its
    actual arithmetic, using interprocess communication via OLE calls.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 6, 2008
  5. Raúl Muñiz

    Rhino Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:23:53 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>, Ra??did write:
    >
    >> I have tried "Add/Remove Windows Components"
    >> several times, and every time, "calc.exe" is right back where it
    >> started.

    >You can't remove it, because it's a core part of the Dimdows kernel. You
    >know how you have drivers for your storage devices, expansion interfaces
    >and so on? Well, Calc is a driver for arithmetic. Remove it, and Dimdows
    >won't be able to do any calculations. Even Excel uses Calc to do all its
    >actual arithmetic, using interprocess communication via OLE calls.

    Jesus H Christ,

    If you believe that, you are even sicker than I thought. Otherwise, a
    piss poor attempt at FUD.
    Cheers, Rhino

    Rhino, Jun 6, 2008
  6. In article <>, Rhino did write:

    > On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:23:53 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Ra??did write:
    >>
    >>> I have tried "Add/Remove Windows Components"
    >>> several times, and every time, "calc.exe" is right back where it
    >>> started.

    >>You can't remove it, because it's a core part of the Dimdows kernel. You
    >>know how you have drivers for your storage devices, expansion interfaces
    >>and so on? Well, Calc is a driver for arithmetic. Remove it, and Dimdows
    >>won't be able to do any calculations. Even Excel uses Calc to do all its
    >>actual arithmetic, using interprocess communication via OLE calls.

    > Jesus H Christ,
    >
    > If you believe that ...

    It's true. Try permanently removing it, and watch how quickly your Dimdows
    system gets sick, shrivels up and dies.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 6, 2008
  7. Raúl Muñiz

    Raúl Muñiz Guest

    Fierce Guppy wrote:

    > Run Tweak UI, expand "Explorer" in the left pane, click on "Command
    > Keys", then Calculator. Or if you dont have Tweak UI installed run
    > RegEdit, go to
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
    > AppKey\18\ and alter the ShellExecute string.
    >
    > Tony

    Cheers, Tony, I was duly embarrassed on another forum when reminded of
    TweakUI. I've only had this box 2 days, and hadn't installed it yet.
    Once done, the change took an eye-blink.

    --
    PGP key: http://www.savefile.com/files/1593606

    Raúl Muñiz, Jun 6, 2008