    work properly unless the user is running with administrator privileges.

    I see this with some proprietary software on Linux, too. Thankfully, there’s
    not a lot of need for that.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 31, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Mac-OS-X-safer-but-less-secure-Update-957981.html

    victor, Mar 31, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    Your Name, Mar 31, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safari_(web_browser)#Browser_exploits

    victor, Mar 31, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    Your Name, Mar 31, 2010
  6. In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >Your Name wrote:
    >> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >> message news:hou0p7$69n$...
    >>> <http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-408772.html>:
    >>>
    >>> Ninety percent of critical Microsoft Windows 7 vulnerabilities
    >>> can be mitigated by configuring the operating system for
    >>> standard user rather than administrator ...

    >> 100% of the vulnerabilities can be mitigated by ditching Windoze and
    >> using a Mac. :)

    >Not 100%, and you have to become a smug dork.

    :) you type that like it's a Bad Thing. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 1, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, "geoff"
    <> wrote:

    > Your Name wrote:
    > > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    > > message news:hou0p7$69n$...
    > >> <http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-408772.html>:
    > >>
    > >> Ninety percent of critical Microsoft Windows 7 vulnerabilities
    > >> can be mitigated by configuring the operating system for
    > >> standard user rather than administrator ...

    > > 100% of the vulnerabilities can be mitigated by ditching Windoze and
    > > using a Mac. :)

    > Not 100%, and you have to become a smug dork.

    Yes, 100% ... unless you personally are stupid enough to download and
    install the nasty. The only nasty to appear on the Mac so far is one that
    was included with and installed by a pirate version of iWork, in which
    case you got what you deserve for downloading it.

    Your Name, Apr 1, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    In article <hp0br3$gi$-september.org>, victor
    <> wrote:

    > On 01/04/10 09:54, Your Name wrote:
    > > "victor"<> wrote in message

    > > message

    > > be

    > > rather

    > > using a
    > >>

    > > http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Mac-OS-X-safer-but-less-secure-Up
    > > date-957981.html
    > >
    > > Like all other "Mac virus" news stories, it's a myth ... largely created by
    > > the scum selling unnecessary anti-virus software to "newbie" Mac users. :-(

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safari_(web_browser)#Browser_exploits

    Wikipedia is a useless website full of user-added nonsense, rumours and
    lies. Best avoided altoghter if you want the actual facts.

    Your Name, Apr 1, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    On 01/04/10 17:21, Your Name wrote:
    > In article<hp0br3$gi$-september.org>, victor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 01/04/10 09:54, Your Name wrote:
    >>> "victor"<> wrote in message
    >>> message

    >>> be
    >>> rather

    >>> using a
    >>>>

    >>> http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Mac-OS-X-safer-but-less-secure-Up
    >>> date-957981.html
    >>>
    >>> Like all other "Mac virus" news stories, it's a myth ... largely created by
    >>> the scum selling unnecessary anti-virus software to "newbie" Mac users. :-(

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safari_(web_browser)#Browser_exploits

    > Wikipedia is a useless website full of user-added nonsense, rumours and
    > lies. Best avoided altoghter if you want the actual facts.

    Seems pretty well referenced
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...patches_Safari_s_10_000_bug_fixes_other_flaws

    victor, Apr 1, 2010
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    "victor" <> wrote in message
    > On 01/04/10 17:21, Your Name wrote:
    > > In article<hp0br3$gi$-september.org>, victor
    > > <> wrote:

    vulnerabilities can

    user

    http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Mac-OS-X-safer-but-less-secure-Up

    created by

    users. :-(

    > >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safari_(web_browser)#Browser_exploits

    > > Wikipedia is a useless website full of user-added nonsense, rumours and
    > > lies. Best avoided altoghter if you want the actual facts.

    > Seems pretty well referenced

    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9078399/Update_Apple_patches_Safari_s
    _10_000_bug_fixes_other_flaws

    I never said Mac OS X did not have bugs / flaws / etc.(it's made by man, so
    of course there are flaws). I said there were no viruses for Macs, which is
    completely true because nobody has or can exploit those "flaws".

    Your Name, Apr 1, 2010
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    On 02/04/10 11:01, Your Name wrote:
    > "victor"<> wrote in message
    >> On 01/04/10 17:21, Your Name wrote:

    > vulnerabilities can

    > user

    > http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Mac-OS-X-safer-but-less-secure-Up

    > created by

    > users. :-(

    >>> Wikipedia is a useless website full of user-added nonsense, rumours and
    >>> lies. Best avoided altoghter if you want the actual facts.

    >> Seems pretty well referenced
    >>

    > http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9078399/Update_Apple_patches_Safari_s
    > _10_000_bug_fixes_other_flaws
    >
    > I never said Mac OS X did not have bugs / flaws / etc.(it's made by man, so
    > of course there are flaws). I said there were no viruses for Macs, which is
    > completely true because nobody has or can exploit those "flaws".

    You called it a virus story, no one else did.
    Now what you are saying is that it has vulnerabilities.
    That is all.
    No big deal, these are complex systems.
    Obviously you will be safe from Windows vulnerabilities.
    You only have Mac vulnerabilities.
    Well that is until you add Bootcamp and Parallels for some essential
    little pieces of niche software that only run on Windows

    victor, Apr 2, 2010
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    "victor" <> wrote in message
    > On 02/04/10 11:01, Your Name wrote:
    > > "victor"<> wrote in message

    in

    > > vulnerabilities can

    standard
    > > user

    and

    http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Mac-OS-X-safer-but-less-secure-Up

    > > created by

    > > users. :-(

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safari_(web_browser)#Browser_exploits

    and

    > >> Seems pretty well referenced

    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9078399/Update_Apple_patches_Safari_s
    > > _10_000_bug_fixes_other_flaws
    > >
    > > I never said Mac OS X did not have bugs / flaws / etc.(it's made by man,

    so
    > > of course there are flaws). I said there were no viruses for Macs, which

    is
    > > completely true because nobody has or can exploit those "flaws".

    > You called it a virus story, no one else did.
    > Now what you are saying is that it has vulnerabilities.
    > That is all.
    > No big deal, these are complex systems.

    I'm saying there are NO real viruses, malware, etc. for the Mac. The only
    way you would ever come across such a thing is by purposely downloading and
    installing it yourself.

    > Obviously you will be safe from Windows vulnerabilities.
    > You only have Mac vulnerabilities.

    There's nothing that access those supposed vulnerabilites, so as I said,
    you're 100% safe.

    > Well that is until you add Bootcamp and Parallels for some essential
    > little pieces of niche software that only run on Windows

    Even if you use Boot Camp / Parallels / VMWare / etc., you'll only have the
    problems within the Windows environment - they can not affect the Mac side
    at all (the one exception may be if you're stupid enough to alow Windoze
    fulll access to the Mac's hard drive and a Windoze nasty dcides to complete
    delete everything).

    Your Name, Apr 2, 2010