    it. It should be clear that Vista is really the next generation of
    operating system from Microsoft, every bit as significant as the leap
    from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from Mac OS 9 to OS X."

    Nathan Mercer, Feb 28, 2006

  2. Nathan  Mercer

    Mutlley Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote:

    >attention getting subject line
    >
    >Great, multi part article on Windows Vista technology advances:
    >
    >http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1931913,00.asp
    >
    >It's worth the read.
    >
    >"It's hard to take a real look at Vista, both on the surface and
    >under the hood, and consider it just another Windows rehash. This is a
    >dramatic, whole-hog upgrade of the Windows platform. If you got
    >anything out of this article, we hope it's the realization that Vista
    >is not simply the Windows XP/2000 code base that has been slowly
    >evolving over the years with some fancy graphics and icons slapped onto
    >it. It should be clear that Vista is really the next generation of
    >operating system from Microsoft, every bit as significant as the leap
    >from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from Mac OS 9 to OS X."

    I'll stick with Win 2K thanx..

    Mutlley, Mar 1, 2006

  3. Nathan  Mercer

    Philip Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > attention getting subject line
    >
    > Great, multi part article on Windows Vista technology advances:
    >
    > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1931913,00.asp
    >
    > It's worth the read.
    >
    > "It's hard to take a real look at Vista, both on the surface and
    > under the hood, and consider it just another Windows rehash. This is a
    > dramatic, whole-hog upgrade of the Windows platform. If you got
    > anything out of this article, we hope it's the realization that Vista
    > is not simply the Windows XP/2000 code base that has been slowly
    > evolving over the years with some fancy graphics and icons slapped onto
    > it. It should be clear that Vista is really the next generation of
    > operating system from Microsoft, every bit as significant as the leap
    > from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from Mac OS 9 to OS X."

    A good article and it makes the new product seem desirable. But I'd like
    to know more about the inbuilt DRM capacities that have been rumored for
    months.

    Philip

    Philip, Mar 1, 2006
  4. Nathan  Mercer

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > attention getting subject line
    >
    > Great, multi part article on Windows Vista technology advances:
    >
    > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1931913,00.asp
    >
    > It's worth the read.
    >
    > "It's hard to take a real look at Vista, both on the surface and
    > under the hood, and consider it just another Windows rehash. This is a
    > dramatic, whole-hog upgrade of the Windows platform. If you got
    > anything out of this article, we hope it's the realization that Vista
    > is not simply the Windows XP/2000 code base that has been slowly
    > evolving over the years with some fancy graphics and icons slapped onto
    > it. It should be clear that Vista is really the next generation of
    > operating system from Microsoft, every bit as significant as the leap
    > from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from Mac OS 9 to OS X."

    I'm amazed at how stable and reliable BETA2 is already. I couldn't back to
    using Windows2000.
    The new XP interface grows on you after a while, I've been using a BETA2
    build for a month now and have got used to the new interface. Some of the
    UI enhancements around working with digital files like pictures and
    video/audio is pretty cool.

    Specifically Windows Media Player 8 is very cool.. The new look and feel of
    it, being able to rip down to WMA format, burn to a CD, find Internet radio
    stations etc all from the one program is pretty impessive. The new codecs
    that Microsoft have put in there are very impressive too. Near VHS quality
    at 250K and near DVD quality at 500K

    Nathan

    Remember that post and many others when XP was released?

    So you're now saying that XP never was that great after all. And you'll be
    playing a similar tune when Vista is replaced with Asta in about another 5
    years time.

    Nothing like having a good solid platform but it still take real programs to
    actually get any work done on. Not a damn thing can be done on a bare OS
    alone. Even Miscrosoft have real programs to help people get what they want
    done.

    And the Microsoft ads along with the :"Start Me Up" Rollings Stones crap
    claimed that XP was completely secure. By harping on how secure XP is
    Microsoft were advertising people to dump Windows 98 to use XP instead.

    And if Vista is the big jump that Windows 95 was from W3.1, lets not forget
    the big lemon that the first version of Windows 95 was compared to Windows
    95B that was only shipped out later on new computers.

    Going by past form Vista will be the lemon that Windows95 was. The first
    big test for Vista will be if Bill Gates can actually demostrate to the
    world media without the thing crashing on him.

    Many are people are going to be more than happy with XP as a platform to use
    far more useful real programs on for quite some number of years to come.

    If Vista is the future then it should need at least a GB of RAM to run it,
    support huge hard drives and damn near real life graphic cards that make
    games look like the real thing.

    Lets not forget that when Asta is released that it will be so much more
    better than Vista, and it will give you chance to compare the true flaws of
    Vista compared to the latest best thing from Microsoft.

    It's nice to know that Vista is good because you're now damn near suggesting
    that XP never really was very good at all. It took years to refine the
    32bit platform of XP, and will no doubt be the same with Vista.

    "is not simply the Windows XP/2000 code base "

    You never said that when you claimed you could never go back to Windows 2000
    even though they both use the same code base according to your XP release
    post.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Mar 1, 2006
  5. On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:55:43 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > "It's hard to take a real look at Vista, both on the surface and under the
    > hood, and consider it just another Windows rehash. This is a dramatic,
    > whole-hog upgrade of the Windows platform.

    Yup - instead of sucking it blows... chunks.

    LOL

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux, and
    it does all the things that they want."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 1, 2006
  6. On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:55:43 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > every bit
    > as significant as the leap from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from
    > Mac OS 9 to OS X."

    Interesting that no comparison is made with Linux.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 1, 2006
  7. Nathan  Mercer

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote:
    >
    >>attention getting subject line
    >>
    >>Great, multi part article on Windows Vista technology advances:
    >>
    >>http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1931913,00.asp
    >>
    >>It's worth the read.
    >>
    >>"It's hard to take a real look at Vista, both on the surface and
    >>under the hood, and consider it just another Windows rehash. This is a
    >>dramatic, whole-hog upgrade of the Windows platform. If you got
    >>anything out of this article, we hope it's the realization that Vista
    >>is not simply the Windows XP/2000 code base that has been slowly
    >>evolving over the years with some fancy graphics and icons slapped onto
    >>it. It should be clear that Vista is really the next generation of
    >>operating system from Microsoft, every bit as significant as the leap
    >>from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from Mac OS 9 to OS X."

    > I'll stick with Win 2K thanx..

    Well the good news that Win 2K is just as good as XP according to Nathan,
    they both use the same code base. And yet in his XP post he said he would
    never go back to Windows 2000.

    It's great that the only way to promote Vista is by rubbing all the previous
    software that Microsoft has made before it.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Mar 1, 2006
  8. Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:55:43 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    > > every bit
    > > as significant as the leap from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from
    > > Mac OS 9 to OS X."

    > Interesting that no comparison is made with Linux.

    Maybe you would like to make the comparison about Linux desktops then?

    Nathan Mercer, Mar 1, 2006
  9. On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:53:01 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:

    > So you're now saying that XP never was that great after all. And you'll
    > be playing a similar tune when Vista is replaced with Asta in about
    > another 5 years time.

    You need to remember that Mercer is employed by Micro$oft. He is paid to
    say these things. He cannot say anything in public that is contrary to
    Micro$oft's media releases without risk. IOW, he is an in-house shill for
    Micro$oft.

    Yes - he does offer some helpful stuff for people with issues to do with
    Micro$oft software.

    But you don't hear his own voice - you hear that of the Micro$oft
    propaganda machine.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 1, 2006
  10. On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:59:27 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >> Interesting that no comparison is made with Linux.

    > Maybe you would like to make the comparison about Linux desktops then?

    I have no intention of ever again installing any Micro$oft software on any
    computer in my home.

    Micro$oft is history. Linux is what's cool at present and will be
    everywhere in the near future. A sustained 20% year on year growth is not
    something to dismiss lightly.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 1, 2006
  11. Philip wrote:

    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > > attention getting subject line
    > >
    > > Great, multi part article on Windows Vista technology advances:
    > >
    > > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1931913,00.asp
    > >
    > > It's worth the read.
    > >
    > > "It's hard to take a real look at Vista, both on the surface and
    > > under the hood, and consider it just another Windows rehash. This is a
    > > dramatic, whole-hog upgrade of the Windows platform. If you got
    > > anything out of this article, we hope it's the realization that Vista
    > > is not simply the Windows XP/2000 code base that has been slowly
    > > evolving over the years with some fancy graphics and icons slapped onto
    > > it. It should be clear that Vista is really the next generation of
    > > operating system from Microsoft, every bit as significant as the leap
    > > from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from Mac OS 9 to OS X."
    > >

    > A good article and it makes the new product seem desirable. But I'd like
    > to know more about the inbuilt DRM capacities that have been rumored for
    > months.

    Can you go into a bit more detail around the DRM?

    Are you talking about NGCSB? or the BitLocker Drive Encryption? Or
    DRM of High Definition content or?

    Nathan Mercer, Mar 1, 2006
  12. >
    > I have no intention of ever again installing any Micro$oft software on any
    > computer in my home.
    >
    > Micro$oft is history. Linux is what's cool at present and will be
    > everywhere in the near future. A sustained 20% year on year growth is not
    > something to dismiss lightly.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >
    > --
    > Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
    > Linux, and
    > it does all the things that they want."

    Yeah same old story, but the "near future" never seems to arrive. Also it
    seems you are the last linux extremist left in this news group, not really a
    good sign of growth.

    The general public wants windows, the general public gets windows. I get
    lots of money from removing spyware etc from windows. The status quo is
    great!

    Stephen Williams, Mar 1, 2006
  13. Nathan  Mercer

    David Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Philip wrote:
    >
    >> Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>> attention getting subject line
    >>>
    >>> Great, multi part article on Windows Vista technology advances:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1931913,00.asp
    >>>
    >>> It's worth the read.
    >>>
    >>> "It's hard to take a real look at Vista, both on the surface and
    >>> under the hood, and consider it just another Windows rehash. This is a
    >>> dramatic, whole-hog upgrade of the Windows platform. If you got
    >>> anything out of this article, we hope it's the realization that Vista
    >>> is not simply the Windows XP/2000 code base that has been slowly
    >>> evolving over the years with some fancy graphics and icons slapped onto
    >>> it. It should be clear that Vista is really the next generation of
    >>> operating system from Microsoft, every bit as significant as the leap
    >>> from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from Mac OS 9 to OS X."
    >>>

    >> A good article and it makes the new product seem desirable. But I'd like
    >> to know more about the inbuilt DRM capacities that have been rumored for
    >> months.

    > Can you go into a bit more detail around the DRM?
    >
    > Are you talking about NGCSB? or the BitLocker Drive Encryption? Or
    > DRM of High Definition content or?

    Any built-in support for DRM. eg. will it stop me from reading a DVD
    from another region, and will the OS handle DRM'd WMA's etc differently?
    I guess what I really want to know, does Vista include any "features"
    that will stop me doing any of the things I can do on my PC now (with or
    without 3rd party software) (regardless of their legality, that's
    unrelated).

    David, Mar 1, 2006
  14. Nathan  Mercer

    Chris Hope Guest

    Stephen Williams wrote:

    > Yeah same old story, but the "near future" never seems to arrive.
    > Also it seems you are the last linux extremist left in this news
    > group, not really a good sign of growth.

    There are a lot of Linux users in this group, but most us don't share
    his extremism...

    Chris Hope, Mar 1, 2006
  15. Nathan  Mercer

    Chris Hope Guest

    Stephen Williams wrote:

    > The general public wants windows, the general public gets windows.

    Actually, I'd disagree with that - the general public wants a computer
    that works.

    I don't think the average punter really cares what's on it as long as
    it's easy to use, they can browse the web, send emails, install all
    sorts of useful bits of software, plug their camera in and copy photos
    to it etc.

    For the moment, that happens to be Windows because pretty much all the
    computers out there for sale have Windows on them, and the average Joe
    computer user doesn't want to mess around installing operating systems
    (even if they are aware there are alternatives out there).

    Chris Hope, Mar 1, 2006
  16. "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > Stephen Williams wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah same old story, but the "near future" never seems to arrive.
    >> Also it seems you are the last linux extremist left in this news
    >> group, not really a good sign of growth.

    > There are a lot of Linux users in this group, but most us don't share
    > his extremism...
    >
    > --
    > Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.com

    That's actually good to hear. I couldn't care less if Linux is better than
    windows or not, but blind faith fanboys who won't shut up will only put
    people off the very thing they are trying to promote. Seems to be a lot of
    it in the computer industry... Linux/windows/mac, Intel/AMD, nvidia/ATi.
    Who really cares?

    Stephen Williams, Mar 1, 2006
  17. On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:03:02 +1300, Stephen Williams wrote:

    > Yeah same old story, but the "near future" never seems to arrive. Also it
    > seems you are the last linux extremist left in this news group, not really
    > a good sign of growth.

    More a sign that Linux has become mainstream, actually.

    Have you seen the number of IT jobs being advetized that now require
    experience with Linux??

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Buffer-overflow vulnerabilities are simply programming errors; they occur when
    coders fail to deploy proper memory-management techniques.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 1, 2006
  18. Nathan  Mercer

    Chris Hope Guest

    Stephen Williams wrote:

    > "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    >> Stephen Williams wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yeah same old story, but the "near future" never seems to arrive.
    >>> Also it seems you are the last linux extremist left in this news
    >>> group, not really a good sign of growth.

    >> There are a lot of Linux users in this group, but most us don't share
    >> his extremism...

    > That's actually good to hear. I couldn't care less if Linux is better
    > than windows or not, but blind faith fanboys who won't shut up will
    > only put people off the very thing they are trying to promote.

    Yes, and they never seem to actually realise they might be putting
    people off.

    [snip]

    Chris Hope, Mar 1, 2006
  19. On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:16:28 +1300, David wrote:

    > Any built-in support for DRM. eg. will it stop me from reading a DVD from
    > another region, and will the OS handle DRM'd WMA's etc differently? I
    > guess what I really want to know, does Vista include any "features" that
    > will stop me doing any of the things I can do on my PC now (with or
    > without 3rd party software) (regardless of their legality, that's
    > unrelated).

    Indeed!

    The OS should not dictate what people can do with certain files, or
    certain types of media. The moment the OS starts preventing people from
    doing what they want to do, is the moment that OS becomes redundant.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 1, 2006
  20. On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:55:34 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Are you talking about NGCSB? or the BitLocker Drive Encryption? Or DRM
    > of High Definition content or?

    Okaaay.

    So there are multiple implementations of Digital Restrictions Management
    in Windoze Vi$ta.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 1, 2006