Why Windows is really better

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    <this is not intended for humour impaired persons>

    "Because all operating systems are written by programmers, I assume that any
    operating system is much smarter than me. Thus, any good operating system
    should try to outsmart me by restricting my options at every turn. Linux,
    like all versions of Unix, is lousy at restricting my options because at
    the command line virtually any operation can be performed with ease. (For
    example, 'rm -rf /win' could 'delete an entire mounted directory, with no
    popup window warnings whatsoever.)

    I'm proud to say that there is no such danger in Windows Server 2003.
    Windows pop up when I want to make a change, and then more pop up to ask if
    I'm sure I want the change. Thankfully, Windows Server 2003 looks after my
    computer's well-being by occasionally switching configuration settings from
    the way I want them to what the OS programmers think they might probably
    ought to be. Boy, I'm just impressed with how smart they are. Once I
    learned to live with whatever the default settings are on any new hardware
    I install, I can't say the number of hours I have saved.

    I use that spare time to reboot my Windows Server 2003 machine multiple
    times a day. Technical support personnel recommend that I do it regularly
    - kind of like brushing my teeth. To help remind me of this necessity,
    windows pop up to tell me to reboot whenever I make a configuration change.
    By now my machine is minty fresh, I figure.

    There is no such useful rebooting in a Linux system. It is as reliable as
    the sunrise, with uptimes in weeks, months and years. Virtually no
    configuration change requires a reboot, to boot. Imagine all that plaque
    in the computer. Gross!"

    rest of this work posted at ...
    Peter, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Peter

    Max Burke Guest

    Peter scribbled:

    > <this is not intended for humour impaired persons>

    My turn.... (note peter's cavet still applies.....)

    Linux
    I installed Linux once.....
    It's been ten years now and I'm still downloading, hacking, and tweaking it
    to get it to do what *I* want it to do.....

    My wife divorced me because I paid more attention to installing Linux
    patches than I did to her and the kids....

    The boss fired me because I called in sick too many times so stay at home so
    I could get the latest kernel build working....

    The bank repossessed the house and car because I had lost my job....

    The dog pisses on me because I no longer have the inclination or time to
    take it for walks...

    The neighbours call the police and say there's a 1C guy living next door to
    them....

    My few remaining friends keep inviting me to Linux recovery group
    meetings....

    But I just keep telling myself it's fun spending hours and days to get the
    latest distro to work, but most of all I know I'm right and everyone else is
    wrong because it's NOT windows......

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:
    Max Burke, Nov 18, 2003

  3. Peter

    harry Guest

    So do "Wintrolls" really exist Gavin ? ;-) Re: Why Windows is really better

    harry, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Peter

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    Re: So do "Wintrolls" really exist Gavin ? ;-) Re: Why Windows is really better

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:34:20 +1300, "harry" <> wrote:

    ....nothing.

    You're a little slow on the uptake with this one Harry. I gave you the
    chance to think it through & you're obviously struggling a bit.

    Max replied to a troll by a Microsoft hater. Max always replies to
    certain trolls about Windows or Microsoft. Max never makes a troll
    himself, he merely lets the MS hating Linuxtrolls know that if they
    want to dish it out... they'll get some back.

    Last chance Harry. A troll is a non-provoked taunt. Note the word "NON
    PROVOKED" Harry. Max ONLY gets narky when he's provoked. In this
    example you've posted, just lke the last one you posted, it's
    perfectly obviously that Max retaliated to a post that provoked
    him....a troll in other words.

    been started by a Linux hating Wintroll. But really, I wouldn't bother
    because there are none. There's just Roger making the odd troll & he
    spreads his net far & wide.

    There are no Linux haters Harry, not in this newsgroup. There's no
    Wintrolls. There's just people who are sick of the selfish turds who
    endlessly post their bigoted drivel.....on and on and on. It's the
    same old stuff every time, there's never anything new. They don't
    like Microsoft. Wow. This isn't a Microsoft newsgroup, who gives a
    damn whether someone likes Microsoft or not. This newsgroup isn't for
    venting your irrational prejudices or preaching your newfound
    religion.

    This is a small newsgroup for plain old ordinary Kiwis to talk about
    computers. That's all it is.

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Peter

    harry Guest

    "Gavin Tunney" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:34:20 +1300, "harry" <> wrote:
    >
    > ...nothing.
    >

    > You're a little slow on the uptake with this one Harry. I gave you the
    > chance to think it through & you're obviously struggling a bit.
    >
    > Max replied to a troll by a Microsoft hater. Max always replies to
    > certain trolls about Windows or Microsoft. Max never makes a troll
    > himself, he merely lets the MS hating Linuxtrolls know that if they
    > want to dish it out... they'll get some back.

    Weak moral relativism used to justify lies.
    harry, Nov 18, 2003
  6. Peter

    steve Guest

    harry allegedly said:

    > "Gavin Tunney" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:34:20 +1300, "harry" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> ...nothing.
    >>

    >> You're a little slow on the uptake with this one Harry. I gave you the
    >> chance to think it through & you're obviously struggling a bit.
    >>
    >> Max replied to a troll by a Microsoft hater. Max always replies to
    >> certain trolls about Windows or Microsoft. Max never makes a troll
    >> himself, he merely lets the MS hating Linuxtrolls know that if they
    >> want to dish it out... they'll get some back.

    > Weak moral relativism used to justify lies.

    Hear hear.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers
    steve, Nov 18, 2003
  7. Peter

    Warwick Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:56:14 +1300, Peter <>
    wrote:

    ><this is not intended for humour impaired persons>
    >
    >"Because all operating systems are written by programmers, I assume that any
    >operating system is much smarter than me. Thus, any good operating system
    >should try to outsmart me by restricting my options at every turn. Linux,
    >like all versions of Unix, is lousy at restricting my options because at
    >the command line virtually any operation can be performed with ease. (For
    >example, 'rm -rf /win' could 'delete an entire mounted directory, with no
    >popup window warnings whatsoever.)
    >
    >I'm proud to say that there is no such danger in Windows Server 2003.
    >Windows pop up when I want to make a change, and then more pop up to ask if
    >I'm sure I want the change. Thankfully, Windows Server 2003 looks after my
    >computer's well-being by occasionally switching configuration settings from
    >the way I want them to what the OS programmers think they might probably
    >ought to be. Boy, I'm just impressed with how smart they are. Once I
    >learned to live with whatever the default settings are on any new hardware
    >I install, I can't say the number of hours I have saved.
    >
    >I use that spare time to reboot my Windows Server 2003 machine multiple
    >times a day. Technical support personnel recommend that I do it regularly
    >- kind of like brushing my teeth. To help remind me of this necessity,
    >windows pop up to tell me to reboot whenever I make a configuration change.
    >By now my machine is minty fresh, I figure.
    >
    >There is no such useful rebooting in a Linux system. It is as reliable as
    >the sunrise, with uptimes in weeks, months and years. Virtually no
    >configuration change requires a reboot, to boot. Imagine all that plaque
    >in the computer. Gross!"
    >
    >rest of this work posted at ...
    > http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/16/2331206

    These posts (collectively the OS wars - not just this thread) remind
    me of the language wars I see all the time on comp.lang.functional.

    This is where people say Python is crap use Haskell or C is crap use
    Java etc etc.

    Fact of the matter is each has its own niche and suits particular
    implementations ie they are all useful.

    I use Linux and Windows, there is no need for the two platforms to be
    mutually exclusive. Windows users who are interested in how it all
    works would be well advised to put make a small partition and install
    linux as well as windows for experimentation sakes.

    The hatred and the bitching (AFAICT both sides are equally guilty) is
    somewhat pointless.

    cheers
    Warwick
    Warwick, Nov 18, 2003
  8. Peter

    harry Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > harry allegedly said:
    >

    > > "Gavin Tunney" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:34:20 +1300, "harry" <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> ...nothing.
    > >>

    > >> You're a little slow on the uptake with this one Harry. I gave you the
    > >> chance to think it through & you're obviously struggling a bit.
    > >>
    > >> Max replied to a troll by a Microsoft hater. Max always replies to
    > >> certain trolls about Windows or Microsoft. Max never makes a troll
    > >> himself, he merely lets the MS hating Linuxtrolls know that if they
    > >> want to dish it out... they'll get some back.

    > > Weak moral relativism used to justify lies.

    > Hear hear.

    And you can STFU too !
    You're the one that got us into this mess! ;-)
    harry, Nov 18, 2003
  9. Peter

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:36:04 +1300, Warwick wrote:

    > These posts (collectively the OS wars - not just this thread) remind me of
    > the language wars I see all the time on comp.lang.functional.

    Show of hands for a new nz.comp.advocacy ...

    Ordinarily comp.*.advocacy should suffice, but there must be some NZ
    flavour to the arguments that keep them in here. I suspect it would be
    easier to move NZ style OT flamewars there than to the comp.* hierarchy.

    Or is that a stupid idea?

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Nov 19, 2003
  10. Peter

    Steven H Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:36:04 +1300, Warwick wrote:
    >
    > > These posts (collectively the OS wars - not just this thread) remind me of
    > > the language wars I see all the time on comp.lang.functional.

    > Show of hands for a new nz.comp.advocacy ...
    >
    > Ordinarily comp.*.advocacy should suffice, but there must be some NZ
    > flavour to the arguments that keep them in here. I suspect it would be
    > easier to move NZ style OT flamewars there than to the comp.* hierarchy.
    >
    > Or is that a stupid idea?

    if it gets the lin/win trolls out of here then go for it

    Steven H
    Steven H, Nov 19, 2003
  11. Peter

    steve Guest

    harry allegedly said:

    >> > Weak moral relativism used to justify lies.

    >> Hear hear.
    >>

    > And you can STFU too !
    > You're the one that got us into this mess! ;-)

    Did I?

    How thoughtful of me. :)

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers
    steve, Nov 19, 2003
  12. Peter

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Steven H" <> wrote in message

    > > Show of hands for a new nz.comp.advocacy ...
    > >
    > > Ordinarily comp.*.advocacy should suffice, but there must be some NZ
    > > flavour to the arguments that keep them in here. I suspect it would

    be
    > > easier to move NZ style OT flamewars there than to the comp.*

    hierarchy.

    > > Or is that a stupid idea?

    > if it gets the lin/win trolls out of here then go for it

    Trolling wouldn't be trolling if you only went trolling among trolls.
    Now would it?
    Patrick Bold, Nov 19, 2003
  13. Peter

    T.N.O. Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > Show of hands for a new nz.comp.advocacy ...
    > Or is that a stupid idea?

    I was thinking nz.comp.OS or similar...
    T.N.O., Nov 19, 2003
  14. Peter

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:20:56 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > AD. wrote:
    >> Show of hands for a new nz.comp.advocacy ... Or is that a stupid idea?

    > I was thinking nz.comp.OS or similar...

    That was my first thought, but I wanted to anticipate future topics :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Nov 19, 2003
  15. Peter

    Fran Guest

    Steven H wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:36:04 +1300, Warwick wrote:
    >>
    >> > These posts (collectively the OS wars - not just this thread) remind me
    >> > of the language wars I see all the time on comp.lang.functional.

    >> Show of hands for a new nz.comp.advocacy ...
    >>
    >> Ordinarily comp.*.advocacy should suffice, but there must be some NZ
    >> flavour to the arguments that keep them in here. I suspect it would be
    >> easier to move NZ style OT flamewars there than to the comp.* hierarchy.
    >>
    >> Or is that a stupid idea?

    > if it gets the lin/win trolls out of here then go for it

    Yeah, we don't want animated discussions about computers in here.

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Nov 19, 2003