Why Windows is a security nightmare

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TechNews, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    By Usman Latif
    May 22, 2004

    Security in all mainstream operating systems is non-existent; however,
    things are especially bad for Windows. Windows happens to be the favourite
    target of worm and virus writers. Conventional wisdom suggests that the
    huge installed base of Windows helps spread the worms and viruses, and also
    makes it a highly attractive target for worm/virus writers. The installed
    base certainly has an undeniable effect on the prevalence of malware on
    Windows, but this is not all there is to it.

    Worms and viruses are so stunningly effective on Windows only because
    Windows provides some atrocious functionality which makes it easy for worms
    to strike. It might seem counterintuitive but Windows Registry, and a
    misdesigned Windows Update are the primary culprits that create a
    hospitable environment for worms and other malware.

    A typical Windows system follows a simple lifecycle: it starts out with a
    clean installation, which gradually deteriorates as programs are installed,
    and uninstalled. Eventually, the registry accumulates so much crud that the
    user is forced to do a clean install. When a user does a clean install that
    user's system loses all the previously applied security updates, and
    becomes a sitting duck for worms and other malware.

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security

    TechNews, Jun 2, 2004

  2. TechNews

    Boomer Guest

    TechNews <> wrote:

    > By Usman Latif
    > May 22, 2004
    >
    > Security in all mainstream operating systems is non-existent;

    [snip]

    Other nightmares are bible thumpers and penguin pushers.

    --
    <Plonk>

    Boomer, Jun 2, 2004

  3. TechNews wrote:

    > A typical Windows system follows a simple lifecycle: it starts out with a
    > clean installation, which gradually deteriorates as programs are installed,
    > and uninstalled. Eventually, the registry accumulates so much crud that the
    > user is forced to do a clean install. When a user does a clean install that
    > user's system loses all the previously applied security updates, and
    > becomes a sitting duck for worms and other malware.

    This assumes that a person who has been updating and patching Windows
    suddenly stops doing so because they have done a clean install.

    As for my own Windows installs (and this on about 5 or 6 systems that I
    use regularly) I have extremely rarely been reduced to doing a clean
    install.

    --
    As my me dear old granny would have said "Why don't you go out and play
    in traffic for a while?"

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 2, 2004