    the electricity even when I shut down. Does anyone know why this
    happens and what can be done to avoid it. I had a toshiba laptop
    before, and never had such problem with it. Thanks

    sci.stat.math, Nov 4, 2007

  2. sci.stat.math

    Francogrex Guest

    On Nov 4, 7:28 pm, "sci.stat.math" <> wrote:
    > I have bought a PC with an AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+, 1.61GHz
    > and 448MB of RAM. I have Nvidia for internet connection and I
    > installed windows XP professional. The weird thing that happens is
    > that if I unplug my PC from the electricity, the internet connection
    > won't work anymore unless I reboot. So I have to keep it plugged into
    > the electricity even when I shut down. Does anyone know why this
    > happens and what can be done to avoid it. I had a toshiba laptop
    > before, and never had such problem with it. Thanks

    I'm sorry I forgot to precise that the computer we are talking about
    here is a desktop computer.
    Franco aka sci.stat.math

    Francogrex, Nov 4, 2007

  3. sci.stat.math

    Francogrex Guest

    I'm dumb I cannot express myself well, this post is turning out a
    complete mess: one more correction:
    ....if I unplug my PC from the electricity AND PLUG AGAIN AND TURN ON
    (of course), the internet connection won't work anymore unless I
    reboot...

    Francogrex, Nov 4, 2007
  4. sci.stat.math

    chuckcar Guest

    "sci.stat.math" <> wrote in

    > I have bought a PC with an AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+, 1.61GHz
    > and 448MB of RAM. I have Nvidia for internet connection and I
    > installed windows XP professional. The weird thing that happens is
    > that if I unplug my PC from the electricity, the internet connection
    > won't work anymore unless I reboot. So I have to keep it plugged into
    > the electricity even when I shut down. Does anyone know why this
    > happens and what can be done to avoid it. I had a toshiba laptop
    > before, and never had such problem with it. Thanks

    You mean you have a Nvidia *video* card right? What sort of internet
    connection do you have? dial-up, dsl, cable or other? If you have a dsl
    card in that computer that you're using for dsl service, that's the
    cause. You can't have a dsl connection without a dsl device connected to
    it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 4, 2007
  5. sci.stat.math

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You lose connection because there is no power. You are not supposed to just
    pull the power plug, shutdown your computer first then when it is off unplug
    it. Why do feel the need to unplug the power anyway?

    pcbutts1, Nov 4, 2007
  6. sci.stat.math

    Tony Guest

    Oh horse tripe suppose he has a modem in bridge mode and a router doing the
    PPPOE. Then his internet connection would still be there but he would just
    have to turn his ethernet card back on.

    Tony, Nov 4, 2007
  7. sci.stat.math

    Francogrex Guest

    On Nov 4, 9:31 pm, "pcbutts1" <> wrote:
    > You lose connection because there is no power. You are not supposed to just
    > pull the power plug, shutdown your computer first then when it is off unplug
    > it. Why do feel the need to unplug the power anyway?

    What's wrong with me really, I must be turning slowly into a retard,
    can't express myself normally... I don't mean I just unplug without
    shutting down first
    I mean:
    I shut-down, I unplug then I turn on again= NO internet connection
    THEN I reboot (shutdown/restart)= internet connection is ON.
    IF I shutdown without unplugging, turn on again= internet connection
    is ON.

    (one reason I would like to unplug because my toddler son comes around
    and start messing (playing) with the power buttons when I am not
    looking, I wouldn't want him to switch on and off 50 times).

    Francogrex, Nov 4, 2007
  8. sci.stat.math

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Try updating your network card driver

    pcbutts1, Nov 4, 2007
  9. sci.stat.math

    Barney Guest

    "sci.stat.math" <> wrote in

    The weird thing that happens is
    > that if I unplug my PC from the electricity, the internet connection
    > won't work anymore unless I reboot.

    Your computer may loose the IP address from the router. I'm assuming
    your using one. I loose power a few times in the winter and have to use
    a program from my server, that reestablishes the connection. The router
    is from them. I used another router (same make) that wasn't from them
    and they refused to help. The software for D-Link is a PITA to use and
    prefer my servers software. --
    "Expect less from life and get more from it"

    Barney, Nov 4, 2007
  10. sci.stat.math

    Guest

    "sci.stat.math" <> wrote:

    >I have bought a PC with an AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+, 1.61GHz
    >and 448MB of RAM. I have Nvidia for internet connection and I
    >installed windows XP professional. The weird thing that happens is
    >that if I unplug my PC from the electricity, the internet connection
    >won't work anymore unless I reboot. So I have to keep it plugged into
    >the electricity even when I shut down. Does anyone know why this
    >happens and what can be done to avoid it. I had a toshiba laptop
    >before, and never had such problem with it. Thanks

    If you have an onboard lan
    goto Control Panel / Lan connection service

    Mine is Intel PROset wired, there should be a lot of options one being
    power savings might turn that one off.
    --

    Bubble Wrap
    http://public.aregner.com/bubblewrap.swf

    , Nov 5, 2007
  11. sci.stat.math

    Gordon Guest

    "sci.stat.math" <> wrote in message
    >I have bought a PC

    A PC does not have an internal battery like a laptop so when you unplug it
    from the mains it WON'T WORK!
    <aside> is ANYONE this stupid?......

    Gordon, Nov 5, 2007
  12. Gordon wrote:

    > "sci.stat.math" <> wrote in message
    >>I have bought a PC

    > A PC does not have an internal battery like a laptop so when you
    > unplug it from the mains it WON'T WORK!
    > <aside> is ANYONE this stupid?......

    Ahh, good point, Gordon. I was wondering about that mysel[CARRIER LOST]

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 5, 2007
  13. sci.stat.math

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 21:53:46 -0000, "Gordon"
    <> wrote:

    >A PC does not have an internal battery like a laptop so when you unplug it
    >from the mains it WON'T WORK!
    ><aside> is ANYONE this stupid?......

    I was walking a customer though doing a release and renew. The call
    center at the time used VoIP.

    It had been so long since I did a release and renew, and the customer
    started asking me all these questions, what if this, what if that....
    So I did a release and renew.

    OOPS!

    Bye-Bye Mr. End User!

    Evan Platt, Nov 5, 2007
  14. sci.stat.math

    Francogrex Guest

    On Nov 5, 10:53 pm, "Gordon" <> wrote:
    > "sci.stat.math" <> wrote in message

    > >I have bought a PC

    > A PC does not have an internal battery like a laptop so when you unplug it
    > from the mains it WON'T WORK!
    > <aside> is ANYONE this stupid?......

    I shut-down, I unplug then I PLUG IN AGAIN THEN I turn on again= NO
    internet connection
    THEN I reboot (shutdown/restart)= internet connection is ON.
    IF I shutdown without unplugging, turn on again= internet connection
    is ON.

    I thought it was obvious for readers to infer what is evident and that
    I didn't have to describe every single action I did. Do you think I
    was trying to work on a PC that was shut-down and with no electrical
    connections?

    Francogrex, Nov 6, 2007
  15. sci.stat.math

    chuckcar Guest

    Tony <> wrote in

    > Oh horse tripe suppose he has a modem in bridge mode and a router
    > doing the PPPOE. Then his internet connection would still be there but
    > he would just have to turn his ethernet card back on.

    More bull from the troll. a) they're not modems - they don't translate
    between analogue and digital b) he never said *what* type of internet
    connection he has, nor did he say whether he had a router or not. c)
    dial-up modems (the only *type* of modems) don't *do* "bridge mode". d)
    ethernet cards don't have on/off switches because, well they're *cards*.
    Other that the above, what remains has the remote possibility of being
    right.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 6, 2007
  16. sci.stat.math

    chuckcar Guest

    Francogrex <> wrote in

    > On Nov 5, 10:53 pm, "Gordon" <> wrote:
    >> "sci.stat.math" <> wrote in message

    >> >I have bought a PC

    >> A PC does not have an internal battery like a laptop so when you
    >> unplug it from the mains it WON'T WORK!
    >> <aside> is ANYONE this stupid?......

    > I shut-down, I unplug then I PLUG IN AGAIN THEN I turn on again= NO
    > internet connection
    > THEN I reboot (shutdown/restart)= internet connection is ON.
    > IF I shutdown without unplugging, turn on again= internet connection
    > is ON.
    >
    > I thought it was obvious for readers to infer what is evident and that
    > I didn't have to describe every single action I did. Do you think I
    > was trying to work on a PC that was shut-down and with no electrical
    > connections?

    It's not a matter of what we *think* you said, if you actually say it
    that way, we have no but choice to think you mean what you say. Now what
    *exactly* do you have that *gives* you an internet connection? without
    knowing this, we can't tell you anything more.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 6, 2007
  17. sci.stat.math

    Francogrex Guest

    On Nov 6, 5:36 pm, chuckcar <> wrote:
    > It's not a matter of what we *think* you said, if you actually say it
    > that way, we have no but choice to think you mean what you say. Now what
    > *exactly* do you have that *gives* you an internet connection? without
    > knowing this, we can't tell you anything more.

    I have an ADSL connection. When I unplug, it's just the PC that I
    unplug. The router has its own power line, but whether I unplug the
    router or not, nothing changes, so I suspect the problem is in the PC
    and not the ADSL router. Thanks

    Francogrex, Nov 6, 2007
  18. sci.stat.math

    chuckcar Guest

    Francogrex <> wrote in

    > On Nov 6, 5:36 pm, chuckcar <> wrote:
    >> It's not a matter of what we *think* you said, if you actually say it
    >> that way, we have no but choice to think you mean what you say. Now
    >> what *exactly* do you have that *gives* you an internet connection?
    >> without knowing this, we can't tell you anything more.

    > I have an ADSL connection. When I unplug, it's just the PC that I
    > unplug. The router has its own power line, but whether I unplug the
    > router or not, nothing changes, so I suspect the problem is in the PC
    > and not the ADSL router. Thanks

    Ok, so now we know the details. You have an external device with it's
    own power supply that gives you a IP address. My *guess* is that this is
    some wierd quirk of your internet provider possibly to limit the number
    of people connected to the internet and not actually using it. I don't
    see how you could prove this except to possibly disable everything in
    startup thinking that they have some software there that tells them that
    there is a computer on at that IP address.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 7, 2007
  19. sci.stat.math

    thanatoid Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote in

    > Francogrex <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Nov 6, 5:36 pm, chuckcar <> wrote:
    >>> It's not a matter of what we *think* you said, if you
    >>> actually say it that way, we have no but choice to think
    >>> you mean what you say. Now what *exactly* do you have
    >>> that *gives* you an internet connection? without knowing
    >>> this, we can't tell you anything more.

    >> I have an ADSL connection. When I unplug, it's just the PC
    >> that I unplug. The router has its own power line, but
    >> whether I unplug the router or not, nothing changes, so I
    >> suspect the problem is in the PC and not the ADSL router.
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Ok, so now we know the details. You have an external device
    > with it's own power supply that gives you a IP address. My
    > *guess* is that this is some wierd quirk of your internet
    > provider possibly to limit the number of people connected
    > to the internet and not actually using it. I don't see how
    > you could prove this except to possibly disable everything
    > in startup thinking that they have some software there that
    > tells them that there is a computer on at that IP address.

    *^*^*^*

    WARNING: the first 90% (or so) of this is really elementary
    stuff but it DOES also contain an explanation of why it was
    written. The last 5-6 paragraphs ***actually contain a new
    idea*** (however stupid it may be). Please comment (after you
    have finished berating and insulting me for the first 90%, which
    I have NOT deleted and am posting ANYWAY because I am really
    bored and need some new abuse!)

    *^*^*^*

    "Its" power supply. Not "it is" power supply. It IS a power
    supply, but not "it is own" power supply. Sigh. It's SUCH a
    simple rule!

    Also, weird, not wierd.

    Anyway...

    Since this thread is STILL going on and apparently the only -
    and SO simple - answer I can think of has NOT been given, here I
    go, possibly to regret it forever.

    Some info that you may or may not consider relevant:

    I am still using a 33.6 modem, so feel free to tell me that I
    have no clue what I'm talking about. Actually, you don't have to
    tell me, I just admitted that I know almost nothing about DSL
    and BB in general, except that I don't need it.

    I also *have not read* any of the reply posts except this one
    that I am replying to.

    As I see it (and this applies to everything but I can't come up
    with a funny enough simile at the moment) it doesn't matter
    whether you are connected to the internet by 1 standard
    telephone wire, a few feet of 18-gauge AC cable (I was for a
    while, worked just fine), a T1, your cable TV provider, or
    whatever. In some cases, you have a permanent IP address, in
    some you don't.

    The MACHINE which takes and processes the signal from outside
    your house, WHATEVER manner of delivery is used, is your
    computer.

    It appears your specific computer runs on AC, but if you had a
    laptop and liked to walk around the house while computing, and
    your battery died, it would be exactly the same as pulling the
    power plug.

    If *A* computer loses power, ALL APPLICATIONS - including net
    connections - die. So when you power back up, not only do you
    have to restart all the hardware, you have to restart the OS of
    your choice (or the one that was shoved down your throat) AND
    you have to restart all the applications you want to use. This
    includes what on MY old machine - I believe - are called
    tapiexe.exe and rnaapp.exe, and fubar only knows what it/they
    may be called on whatever your system is running, though I am
    pretty sure they are using more than 620 KB of RAM (which is
    what the two apps I mentioned consume on my machine).

    [This was a sample of why I am called a reverse hardware snob
    but should *really* be called a reverse hardware AND software
    snob.]

    This is what takes the incoming internet signal (which IS still
    incoming, but not doing anything except just connecting the net
    to your connector jack, which is all it is supposed to and all
    it CAN do) and makes it usable by whatever application you want
    to run while on-line.

    As you probably know, you can start a newsreader or browser
    whenever, but unless you are connected to the net, not a lot
    will happen. And unless you run your equivalent of my
    tapiexe.exe and rnaapp.exe, you will NOT be connected to the
    internet. If you have a permanent IP address, the signal will be
    coming in, but that's it. It won't do anything because NOTHING
    will be processing it. It's like talking into a microphone
    plugged into your mic jack when your MB doesn't have a sound
    chip and you don't have a soundcard.

    I am baffled by why I had to say ANY of the above, so either *I
    am* really stupid or everyone else who has been in this thread
    (which I have not read in its entirety, as mentioned above) is.
    Of course, chances are that I am, so someone please explain why
    I am totally wrong. (Why I am stupid might take too long, I'm
    afraid.)

    HA! I just figured out where I am way off (and after I finish
    typing this I will read the whole thread to confirm it to
    myself).

    You have "connect to the internet" in your "startup" menu and
    yet you don't reconnect automatically after you unplug. In which
    case, and may I remind my faithful readers that I have NO clue
    as to what I am talking about, your provider probably kills dead
    connections - and they DO die because your COMPUTER dies, so
    even though the box (or whatever) takes the connection, NOTHING
    is "shaking hands" with it, so it is "dead".

    (tick tick)

    I have read the entire thread. I am glad someone else said "can
    EVERYONE be THIS stupid?" which is kind of what I was saying, I
    guess, sort of. In my (and that person's) defense I *will* say
    that it took the OP a good while to finally explain EXACTLY what
    the problem was :)

    One thing occurs to me, and it's weird, but also gives me a
    chance to ask something that I occasionally wonder about.

    I have a ten year old computer (this one) and another
    considerably more recent one. THAT one has a green LED emitting
    light (which I can see through the grille in the back) even when
    it's turned off. I won't bother checking it now, since I am
    doing something on it, but SOMETHING tells me that if I
    unplugged it from the mains, the LED would *stop* emitting
    light.

    {10 minutes later - finished "doing something", switched off,
    LED stayed on. Pulled power cord out, LED went out - of course.}

    Could it be something similar with the part of the OP's hardware
    that actually makes the internet handshake happen? Could THAT be
    why pulling the plug kills the connection but switching off does
    not?

    (*I* would like to ask my faithful readers WHAT the green LED is
    doing emitting light when the power switch is off - not that I
    am concerned about my power bill ;-) , just curious...

    And now let the abuse begin...

    thanatoid, Nov 7, 2007
  20. sci.stat.math

    chuckcar Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

> [...]

    > light (which I can see through the grille in the back) even when
    > it's turned off. I won't bother checking it now, since I am
    > doing something on it, but SOMETHING tells me that if I
    > unplugged it from the mains, the LED would *stop* emitting
    > light.
    >
    > {10 minutes later - finished "doing something", switched off,
    > LED stayed on. Pulled power cord out, LED went out - of course.}
    >
    > Could it be something similar with the part of the OP's hardware
    > that actually makes the internet handshake happen? Could THAT be
    > why pulling the plug kills the connection but switching off does
    > not?
    >
    > (*I* would like to ask my faithful readers WHAT the green LED is
    > doing emitting light when the power switch is off - not that I
    > am concerned about my power bill ;-) , just curious...

    Actually, *I* made a mistake, which I shortly afterward realized. The
    "thing" in question couldn't be in startup, because the connection
    remains when the computer is shut off. The point that the IP is only
    there when there is a NIC card detected is far more likely and removing
    the plug from the back of the computer when it's shut down should
    confirm this. My impression was that the dsl box is what maintaned the
    IP connection since it's what initates it in the first place. Any more
    educated answers are of course welcome. See? no abuse.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 7, 2007