    --
    Denise

    ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're going.
    Denise, Apr 30, 2008

  2. Denise

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    The only WOW I can think of at the moment is the Windows On Windows
    sub-system. For example, the WOW sub-system of Windows 64 that enables 32
    bit applications run on the 64 bit system. However that does not seem to fit
    well to your question since it is installed with the OS. So, please explain
    further.
    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Apr 30, 2008

  3. Denise

    Denise Guest

    I understant what WOW files are but I don't know exactly what part these
    particular files play in giving x32 wow support for x64. When I installed
    Windows x64 or when I receive updates, the files appeared on my D drive.

    "For example, the WOW sub-system of Windows 64 that enables 32
    > bit applications run on the 64 bit system. However that does not seem to fit
    > well to your question since it is installed with the OS"

    This is exactly my question to you. I don't know what they're doing on my D
    drive instead of on my C drive where Windows placed all the other files. I
    had limited input when I installed Windows and I never chose to place any
    wow, x32 or x64 files on my D drive.

    In the Windows folder on my C drive, there is a folder named "system32" and
    a folder named "SysWOW64."

    there are 3 Windows/wow folders on my D drive. The first folder is named
    9bb24a76a93030d8b6bd2320 and it has a .txt doc in it named
    %temp%dd_msxml_retMSI, but access is denied. I'm the Administrator of my pc.

    The second folder is named 9fac1b9de91c2f6fafa06eaa10c44f62 and it has a
    ..txt doc in it named %temp%dd_msxml_retMSI, but access is denied.

    The third folder is named 171b624f114c1d68d406b63f61239a17. It contains 111
    files with 2 folders. One folder is named "update" and the other is "wow."
    I can't open either folder because access is denied. The other files are
    mostly .dll's and dll.mui's. Some are exe.mui's. There is ieunatt.exe.mui,
    iesetup.dll.mui
    and the other is iexplore.exe.mui. There's also iexplore, ticrf, icrav03,
    ie4uinit.exe.mui, an internet setup/install .exe file, and a number of others.

    In addition, Microsoft "Common Files" is on my D drive which appear to be
    error reporting files.

    This is about all the information I can give you. I don't know why Windows
    or an update placed these files on my D drive. I would like to delete them
    but I don't know if Windows will crash if I do so.

    Denise, Apr 30, 2008
  4. Denise

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Thanks for the additional information.

    I agree that it all seems very peculiar. At this point, I would surmise that
    there has been some type of installer error; that some updates were
    downloaded and because of some design error or anomalous event or unforeseen
    situation, certain files were installed to the wrong location. These might
    have been intended as temporary files but were not deleted upon update
    completion. I emphasize that this thought is pure speculation. I can say
    that what you describe has the characteristics of an update package. E.g.
    the msi file would be the installer manifest, MUI might refer to the
    Multi-Language User Interface while WOW, as previously discussed, is
    Windows-on-Windows.

    I recall that there was one DL a while ago that caused some system update
    files related to the "Dr. Watson" facility to be mislocated.

    Sorry to say, I have no information upon which to base a more useful answer
    to your question. Hopefully, someone else will step up with authoritative
    information.
    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Apr 30, 2008
  5. Denise

    Denise Guest

    I agree with you that the first 2 are temp files so I renamed the folder by
    placing ===== after the folder names. I've been running my pc for the past
    12 hours and have had problems so I deleted them.

    I searched for approximately 25 files that are on my D drive to see if they
    were also on my C drive, and they were. Since 25 of the files are also on my
    C drive, the folder that has the updates to my D drive appear to be only
    copies.

    It looks like the Windows installation or an update went to my D drive in
    error and when I got updates, Microsoft Updates found that I didn't have
    those files and installed them on my C drive.

    It's the best conclusion that I can come up with. I've renamed the update
    folder on my D drive and if I have no problems for the next few days, I'll
    delete it.

    Thanks for your help :)

    Denise, Apr 30, 2008
  6. Denise

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote in message
    > The only WOW I can think of at the moment is the Windows On Windows sub-system.

    How about World of Warcraft? 8^)

    Tom L
    Tom Lake, Apr 30, 2008
  7. Hello Denise,
    When installing OS updates, the system is scanned for appropriate volumes
    to put the temp folders on.
    That may be the Volume the OS is installed on or it may be a different
    volume. Free disk space is one of the criteria that is used, in some cases
    more is preferable.
    The temp folders should have been deleted at the end of installation but
    there are occasions where they are not. Items that can affect the temp
    files remainng are seeing the volumes differently between reboots, the
    installation was interrupted or never completed, OS changes that occured
    during the package installation that affect how we see the system, etc
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], May 1, 2008
  8. Denise

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Darrell,

    Thanks for the information. Interesting that what I thought might have been
    done in error (the location used for some of the update installer files) was
    done deliberately (the location chosen as an "appropriate volume...").
    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, May 1, 2008