Why We Banned Vista

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mathew Good, Mar 24, 2007.

  1. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    Mathew Good, Mar 24, 2007

  2. Mathew Good

    Cima Guest

    On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:02:58 +1200, Mathew Good < wrote:

    >http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6169618.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zdnet
    >

    >As they say, Fools rush in where Angeles fear to tread..
    >

    >Seems to be a few here in this news group..

    NIST, based in Gaithersburg, Md., employs about 2,900 people and has an
    additional group of about 1,800 visiting researchers who complement the staff.
    Szykman spoke with CNET News.com about his organization's plans for Vista.

    Q: What is your current position on Windows Vista?
    Szykman: Our policy states that we're not allowing users to install or deploy
    Windows Vista for the time being. We consider this to be an interim policy to
    give us the time to do the adequate testing of Vista before we deploy it. We
    don't expect to have any obstacles that would prevent us from eventually
    deploying Vista.

    What a crock - AS IF any large company would allow *users* to **** around with
    their PCs and install software, let alone an OS! LOL! Can just see some WINZ
    case workers bringing in Vista for an install! Get real.
    Cima, Mar 25, 2007

  3. In <> Cima wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:02:58 +1200, Mathew Good <
    > wrote:
    >

    >>http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6169618.html?part=rss&tag=feed&
    >>subj=zdnet As they say, Fools rush in where Angeles fear to tread..
    >>

    >>Seems to be a few here in this news group..
    >>

    > NIST, based in Gaithersburg, Md., employs about 2,900 people and has
    > an additional group of about 1,800 visiting researchers who complement
    > the staff. Szykman spoke with CNET News.com about his organization's
    > plans for Vista.
    >
    > Q: What is your current position on Windows Vista?
    > Szykman: Our policy states that we're not allowing users to install or
    > deploy Windows Vista for the time being. We consider this to be an
    > interim policy to give us the time to do the adequate testing of Vista
    > before we deploy it. We don't expect to have any obstacles that would
    > prevent us from eventually deploying Vista.
    >

    > What a crock - AS IF any large company would allow *users* to ****
    > around with their PCs and install software, let alone an OS! LOL! Can
    > just see some WINZ case workers bringing in Vista for an install! Get
    > real.

    This is the US National Institute of Standards and Technology though,
    not a typical company or government department. From the beginning of
    the article "NIST, which does research and sets standards for things
    like cryptography for government use". They probably have hundreds of
    'users' who regularly install and test new operating systems and
    applications, and write their own programs.

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    Roger Johnstone, Mar 25, 2007
  4. In <> Mathew Good <mg@
    yahoo.org wrote:

    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6169618.html?part=rss&tag=feed&
    > subj=zdnet
    >

    > As they say, Fools rush in where Angeles fear to tread..
    >

    > Seems to be a few here in this news group..

    Angels? Can't recall any.

    (I assume you were using the Old French spelling when you wrote angeles)

    Roger Johnstone, Mar 25, 2007
  5. Mathew Good wrote:

    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6169618.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zdnet
    >

    > As they say, Fools rush in where Angeles fear to tread..
    >

    > Seems to be a few here in this news group..

    I bet they have lots of installed copies which they will be using to confirm it
    meets the standards they require. Its not banned for a fault (your narrow
    minded idea) but is banned until its determined suitable or not.
    Bring your stupid attitude back here when they ban it because it fails to meet
    requirements!
    Collector»NZ, Mar 25, 2007
  6. Cima wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:02:58 +1200, Mathew Good < wrote:
    >

    >> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6169618.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zdnet
    >>

    >> As they say, Fools rush in where Angeles fear to tread..
    >>

    >> Seems to be a few here in this news group..
    >>

    > NIST, based in Gaithersburg, Md., employs about 2,900 people and has an
    > additional group of about 1,800 visiting researchers who complement the staff.
    > Szykman spoke with CNET News.com about his organization's plans for Vista.
    >
    > Q: What is your current position on Windows Vista?
    > Szykman: Our policy states that we're not allowing users to install or deploy
    > Windows Vista for the time being. We consider this to be an interim policy to
    > give us the time to do the adequate testing of Vista before we deploy it. We
    > don't expect to have any obstacles that would prevent us from eventually
    > deploying Vista.
    >

    > What a crock - AS IF any large company would allow *users* to **** around with
    > their PCs and install software, let alone an OS! LOL! Can just see some WINZ
    > case workers bringing in Vista for an install! Get real.

    In a large enterprise environment there a usually more than one group that
    controls the desktop, each group operate on their own budgets and for there own
    needs with the group IT only setting overall guidelines and rules, so the users
    he refers to are the entities in the enterprise support group not joe blog disk
    heads like your self who has just exhibited a total lack of any understanding
    of how enterprise support works.
    Collector»NZ, Mar 25, 2007
  7. Mathew Good

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:02:58 +1200, Mathew Good <
    exclaimed:

    >http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6169618.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zdnet
    >
    >As they say, Fools rush in where Angeles fear to tread..

    Any enterprise that deploys ANY software (especially an OS) before
    thoroughly testing it is asking for trouble.

    I would hope that any reasonable-sized organisation in the world would
    be saying the same thing, and it's no reflection on Vista.

    >Seems to be a few here in this news group..

    WTF's an angeles, and why do you think there's a few here?

    --

    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's
    fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F,
    it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

    Best Rant of the Year Award:

    "Interesting to see the Green bastard even at a supermarket shopping, instead
    of living off the land growing his own food. At least he's helped to keep the
    cogs and polution of industry going by shopping at supermarkets which sell
    products from large filthy factories [that] use stinking diesel trucks
    polluting the damn countryside just to get the goods to Nandor's favourite
    supermarket. Well done Nandor you two faced tax paid good for nothing bastard"

    - E. Scrooge (1/3/2007), a little unhappy about the Green's proposal to ban
    supermarket bags...
    Fred Dagg, Mar 25, 2007
  8. Mathew Good

    iascoot Guest

    stop with the vista bashing..

    im surprised you didnt tell everyone to goto linux in your post, the
    usual MS bashers do that thing
    iascoot, Mar 25, 2007
  9. Mathew Good

    Chris Hope Guest

    iascoot wrote:

    > stop with the vista bashing..
    >
    > im surprised you didnt tell everyone to goto linux in your post, the
    > usual MS bashers do that thing

    Fred usually does the exact opposite ie promotes MS over Linux etc.
    Where exactly in his post did he bash Vista?

    Chris Hope, Mar 25, 2007
  10. On 25 Mar 2007 00:37:15 GMT, Roger Johnstone wrote:

    > This is the US National Institute of Standards and Technology though,
    > not a typical company or government department. From the beginning of
    > the article "NIST, which does research and sets standards for things
    > like cryptography for government use". They probably have hundreds of
    > 'users' who regularly install and test new operating systems and
    > applications, and write their own programs.

    I bet they do but i would also bet that they Don't do the installs on
    computers connected to the Company network but are stand alone's or part of
    a test network.

    --
    First they came for the Communists,
    and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a Communist.

    Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945
    Robin Halligan, Mar 25, 2007
  11. Mathew Good

    iascoot Guest

    On Mar 25, 10:23 pm, Chris Hope <> wrote:
    > iascoot wrote:
    > > stop with the vista bashing..

    > > im surprised you didnt tell everyone to goto linux in your post, the
    > > usual MS bashers do that thing

    > Fred usually does the exact opposite ie promotes MS over Linux etc.
    > Where exactly in his post did he bash Vista?
    >
    > --
    > Chris Hope |www.electrictoolbox.com|www.linuxcdmall.com

    i was referring to Matthew Good Sorry
    iascoot, Mar 25, 2007
  12. Mathew Good

    Chris Hope Guest

    iascoot wrote:

    > On Mar 25, 10:23 pm, Chris Hope <> wrote:
    >> iascoot wrote:
    >> > stop with the vista bashing..

    >> > im surprised you didnt tell everyone to goto linux in your post,
    >> > the usual MS bashers do that thing

    >> Fred usually does the exact opposite ie promotes MS over Linux etc.
    >> Where exactly in his post did he bash Vista?
    >>

    > i was referring to Matthew Good Sorry

    Hehe... he would be even *less* likely to recommend Linux :)

    Cheers,
    Chris

    Chris Hope, Mar 25, 2007
  13. Mathew Good

    trueone Guest

    "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6169618.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zdnet
    >

    > As they say, Fools rush in where Angeles fear to tread..
    >

    > Seems to be a few here in this news group..

    The biggest fool here seems to b Matthew Good. He thinks 99% of things are
    crap, especially if he cant work out how to turn it on or he puts links to
    thinks like "Why we banned Vista" when he obviously hasnt read it through.
    trueone, Mar 26, 2007