Why we all looove Vista

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 19, 2008.

  1. <http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=1034&tag=rbxccnbtr1>
    <http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=890>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 19, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    SlowLearner Guest

    On Apr 19, 6:53 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > <http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=1034&tag=rbxccnbtr1>
    > <http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=890>

    I have to say, pre using Vista on a dual-boot with ubuntu, I feared my
    migration to Vista on my new laptop but it has not been as bad as I
    imagined.

    Admittedly the laptop has 1GB of ram, twice that of the XP laptop and
    it only runs about the same speed and I was quite surprised to find
    that the factory clean install was 20GB (that did include a 500MB
    office trial and the usual few hundred MB of assorted applictions but
    it still leave Vista weighing it at well over 17GB). I also have not
    hit any application that I have wanted to install that would not run
    under vista, yet.

    On the plus side I think some of the "slow vista" comments are not so
    much that vista is slow, I think MS may have made the interface too
    organic. Its hard to explain but I get the feeling it feels more slow
    that it really is and it does look much prettier (funny enough very
    mac like :).

    On the downside I have just had to spend part of my afternoon
    searching for a way to connect my NAS drive. Turns out Vista defaults
    to some higher security share password thing which is incompatible
    with most consumer NAS drives. It's ok though you just need to go <win>
    +r (they got rid of the handy "run" menu item) and run secpol.msc and
    change some menu. Not so Ok is that this secpol thing does not come in
    'Home' editions. So most "end user" consumers are going to have to go
    delving in to thier registry (after the locate the <win>+r shortcut
    and learn to run regedit!) then locate the key and change the value
    before restarting.

    I don't see why Vista can't 'fall back' or here's an idea, offer a
    menu to change it without having to upgrade to a Business edition. Its
    absoutley ridiculous. I don't mind spelunking in to files to edit
    options in Linux, partly becasue, well it's Linux and I don't expect
    it to be as 'polished' but mostly becasue the system is sensibly
    designed and config files are pretty easy to locate (unlike
    HKEYsomething\control\controlset\Lsm\LsmConfigNumber or whatever it
    was).

    The only reason Vista is surviving on this machine is becasue Linux
    does not have a good XMP editor for photos, yet. I have not tried
    Vistas yet but apparently it is quite good. This is a relief as pixvue
    which was a brilliant photo metadata editor for winXP does not run
    under vista. Mind you the articles I have read about the Vista Gallery
    make it sound like MS invented photo metadata and practically cream
    themselves over the fact it is accessible from explorer so maybe I am
    simply yet to be dissapointed.

    I am waiting for Hardy Heron to finalise and its back to linux 80% of
    the time. I am growing tired of the endless "Yes, I did want to delete
    that shortcut on my desktop, thanks for asking" and photo metadata is
    just not enough to merit going back.

    Also I fear I have yet again ended up with the lemon of the MS stable.
    The first laptop I bought came with WinME the generally accepted
    abject faliure of MS products. People were saying they'd rather go
    back to win3.1 than use WinME and I could see why!. I suspect Vista
    will soon fall in to the crevice between WinXP and whatever-comes-
    next. By the time whatever-comes-next is out most software will be
    running smoothly on the new platform, businesses will have to upgrade
    as the lifecycle of thier machines won't allow any more stagnation and
    MS would have had time to correct stupid mistakes like not allowing
    people to access consumer NAS drives without registry hacking.

    Just call me Mr. Beta!

    SlowLearner, Apr 19, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    SlowLearner wrote:
    > On Apr 19, 6:53 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> <http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=1034&tag=rbxccnbtr1>
    >> <http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=890>

    > I have to say, pre using Vista on a dual-boot with ubuntu, I feared my
    > migration to Vista on my new laptop but it has not been as bad as I
    > imagined.
    >
    > Admittedly the laptop has 1GB of ram, twice that of the XP laptop and
    > it only runs about the same speed and I was quite surprised to find
    > that the factory clean install was 20GB (that did include a 500MB
    > office trial and the usual few hundred MB of assorted applictions but
    > it still leave Vista weighing it at well over 17GB). I also have not
    > hit any application that I have wanted to install that would not run
    > under vista, yet.
    >
    > On the plus side I think some of the "slow vista" comments are not so
    > much that vista is slow, I think MS may have made the interface too
    > organic. Its hard to explain but I get the feeling it feels more slow
    > that it really is and it does look much prettier (funny enough very
    > mac like :).
    >
    > On the downside I have just had to spend part of my afternoon
    > searching for a way to connect my NAS drive. Turns out Vista defaults
    > to some higher security share password thing which is incompatible
    > with most consumer NAS drives. It's ok though you just need to go <win>
    > +r (they got rid of the handy "run" menu item) and run secpol.msc and
    > change some menu. Not so Ok is that this secpol thing does not come in
    > 'Home' editions. So most "end user" consumers are going to have to go
    > delving in to thier registry (after the locate the <win>+r shortcut
    > and learn to run regedit!) then locate the key and change the value
    > before restarting.

    secpol.msc from other Vista versions should work, if you can get someone
    to mail you a copy.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Apr 19, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Thor Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:53:11 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >><http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=1034&tag=rbxccnbtr1>
    >><http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=890>

    > WHY are you so a Trouble makers, u don't use Vista so what stir up
    > trouble..
    >
    > I wonder what your age is with all your Stupid posts.

    I wonder what you education level is. With your comprehension, spelling and
    sentence structure I would guess you left school at around 9 years old.

    Thor, Apr 19, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sam Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:

    > u don't use Vista so what stir up trouble..

    u don't use Linux so what stir up trouble

    Sam, Apr 19, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    SlowLearner Guest

    On Apr 19, 10:28 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > SlowLearner wrote:
    > > On Apr 19, 6:53 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > >> <http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=1034&tag=rbxccnbtr1>
    > >> <http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=890>

    > > I have to say, pre using Vista on a dual-boot with ubuntu, I feared my
    > > migration to Vista on my new laptop but it has not been as bad as I
    > > imagined.

    > > Admittedly the laptop has 1GB of ram, twice that of the XP laptop and
    > > it only runs about the same speed and I was quite surprised to find
    > > that the factory clean install was 20GB (that did include a 500MB
    > > office trial and the usual few hundred MB of assorted applictions but
    > > it still leave Vista weighing it at well over 17GB). I also have not
    > > hit any application that I have wanted to install that would not run
    > > under vista, yet.

    > > On the plus side I think some of the "slow vista" comments are not so
    > > much that vista is slow, I think MS may have made the interface too
    > > organic. Its hard to explain but I get the feeling it feels more slow
    > > that it really is and it does look much prettier (funny enough very
    > > mac like :).

    > > On the downside I have just had to spend part of my afternoon
    > > searching for a way to connect my NAS drive. Turns out Vista defaults
    > > to some higher security share password thing which is incompatible
    > > with most consumer NAS drives. It's ok though you just need to go <win>
    > > +r (they got rid of the handy "run" menu item) and run secpol.msc and
    > > change some menu. Not so Ok is that this secpol thing does not come in
    > > 'Home' editions. So most "end user" consumers are going to have to go
    > > delving in to thier registry (after the locate the <win>+r shortcut
    > > and learn to run regedit!) then locate the key and change the value
    > > before restarting.

    > secpol.msc from other Vista versions should work, if you can get someone
    > to mail you a copy.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > --
    >
    > Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing' or
    > 'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Thanks for the advice, it might come in handy later if something else
    crops up.

    Having slept on the matter I think there must be somekind of built in
    fall back, I just think it is defective. The reason is that the drive
    will usually connect when you initally set it up thought it takes a
    few iterations before it takes. On restart the drives are all lost and
    refuse to reconnect by double clikcing on them and reentering the
    username/password (despite it being the same as the logged in user)
    but usually comes back if you remove them and reattach them again. All
    in all, pretty suck.

    I have also found from googling that the way Vista/Microsoft PhotoInfo
    prepares the metadata on photos is not very compliant, in one case
    they moved something to a different location in the metadata stream
    and then stuck a pointer to the new location in the metadata and
    called this a feature that they hoped other metadata readers would
    implement! It is looking like I am going to have to buy something now.

    SlowLearner, Apr 19, 2008